-------------

1. Christiansburg 210.50

2. Poquoson 131.50

3. Grundy 98.00

4. Millbrook 79.00

Grundy endures low moments around Salem mats

By LLOYD COMBS

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

SALEM, Va. — Competing in sports really is like riding a roller coaster.

Wrestling is a prime example.

It’s the nature of the sport. After all, it’s one-on-one, and each competitor must maintain as much intensity as his adrenaline allows for up to six grueling minutes.

“In wrestling, you experience a lot of highs and a lot of lows,†Abingdon wrestling coach Clayton Scott said Saturday during the Group AA state wrestling championships at Salem Civic Center.

Scott should know. He won a state title at Grundy in 1996. He has slowly built a fine wrestling program at Abingdon in the last few years, and suffered more than his share of low moments. He experienced a new high Saturday night when Aaron Wilson won Abingdon’s first state title since 1971.

Scott is believed to be the first former Grundy state champ to coach a state champion.

Grundy was hit with a series of low moments on Saturday.

One wrestler was unable to make weight. Another, Ethan Owens, was denied a second straight state finals appearance with a painful hip injury which he suffered just seconds into his state semifinal match. That’s all in addition to the usual upsets every team experiences.

“It’s a part of coaching, you’re going to have days like this,†Grundy coach Travis Fiser said Saturday.

It wasn’t all depressing for the Golden Wave, which loses just two seniors from its 14-man lineup. Derek Anderson is the only state place-winner who won’t return. The other six will, from a group that includes four sophomores.

“We had some disappointments, but a couple of good things happened for us, too,†Fiser added. “Cody Rife moved up the ladder and placed higher this year, so did Jon Dotson. Jon did especially well, considering how sick he was.

“I hate it for Derek Anderson. He had a great career. But our other kids will bounce back. We’ll just go back to work and try to do a better job next year.â€

Grundy sophomore Sean Vandyke placed second Saturday at 112, while sophomore teammate Jeremy Hurley was third at 119 pounds.

Another Golden Wave soph, Cody Rife (130) placed fourth. Junior Jon Dotson placed fifth at 140, while Owens (135), a junior, and sophomore Dakota Vance (103) were sixth. Anderson was seventh at 125 pounds.

The Golden Wave finished third. Christiansburg won its eighth straight state title. Former AA power Poquoson was second.

Life has many choices---eternity has two

I still dont get the Devin Carter issue, he was 3rd in the New Jersey State as a 7th grader, then transfers to Cburg and is great, I may be wrong just what I have heard but your telling me that Dresser saw enough in the 3rd best middle schooler in the state to bring him to Virginia when he was in 7th grade, and again I may have been misinformed so if I am wrong I apologize

He wasn't in 7th grade it was before his freshmen year and the kid had just won Tulsa Nationals. Do not act like he was some average joe and then blossomed. All of the " transfer kids" are at least national level in middle school before transfering.