Graham High School

TonyMontana

Well we just got cameras put up all around the school. I really don't see the point in this for such a small school that we have. I also think that its a waste of the county's money. I think that the only reason they put them up is because there were a couple of fights in school, and the middle school also has cameras. Come on is it really that dangerous here?

If you don't have anything to worry about...the cameras shouldn't bother you...

Only the "guilty" ones should be concerned as to whether or not they are caught by a camera doing something they shouldn't be doing...

If the teachers/prinicpals were still allowed to bust some ass every now and then, there would be no need for cameras...

I bet you thought I was going to rage against the school board again, didn't you???

i agree, and i truely don't have anything to hide from these cameras but i think that it feels weird walking down the halls with someone watching me in some room. I just want to know if its a safety issue and do other schools have it? Just why???? lol

i agree, and i truely don't have anything to hide from these cameras but i think that it feels weird walking down the halls with someone watching me in some room. I just want to know if its a safety issue and do other schools have it? Just why???? lol

Some schools have metal detectors at the entry doors...cameras are nothing. I'd be willing to bet lots of schools have cameras.

Besides, next time you go ANYWHERE, take note of all the cameras watching your every move...

Well we just got cameras put up all around the school. I really don't see the point in this for such a small school that we have. I also think that its a waste of the county's money. I think that the only reason they put them up is because there were a couple of fights in school, and the middle school also has cameras. Come on is it really that dangerous here?

With Tazewell County Public Schools in a $4M+ budget deficit for this upcoming year, little things such as cameras can really wait. So can renovations at Springville Elementary. So could many other things that the School Board is doing lately when it should be saving money.

Now'd be a good time to rail against the School Board, GMan.

Some schools have metal detectors at the entry doors...cameras are nothing. I'd be willing to bet lots of schools have cameras.

Besides, next time you go ANYWHERE, take note of all the cameras watching your every move...

I hope you don't shop at Wal-Mart or Sam's.....they watch how many samples you take at Sam's LOL. WVURaiders takes his dates there to eat at times lol j/k.

Cameras in the halls are common and for safety reasons. It's like the cams onthe buses, evidence and so forth.

Richlands has had them for 2 years now.

lol we have had cameras for a long time. we got called in the office by the principal after a fight, and she only called me and my friend to show us how high we jumped to see over the crowd of people haha..

Camera's in school, maybe, but the problem is things like this never stop encroaching, they become more and more, the bigger problem will be when you don't exist except maybe inside your home when you're not on camera and being watched by authority. Every policy like this while they seem insignificant themselves are just bricks building a wall against freedom.

$4Million in budget cuts? I know the people here in Charlotte wish we had that type of budget cuts. We are looking at loosing 400 teachers and 80 pricipals with 6 new schools being built. WE have to give back so much money it's crazy down here right now.

It's dangerous everywhere. I'm surprised it's taken this long to get them. Most schools started getting them after Columbine happened. Safety is a big concern in schools these days. It doesn't hurt for a Principal to have evidence from a video camera when suspending a kid for stealing, using drugs or fighting either...

There is not going to be someone in a room watching the cameras, they are mainly there for recording purposes so if something questionable does happen, they have the recording to look back on, there is no reason for the cameras to make someone feel uncomfortable or weird.

I think cameras are a necessity in schools. It helps the administration be able to look back and find what was going on at one point because no matter how small the school is, they cannot be everywhere at once, watching everything that is happening. In my four years at Bluefield High School we have had cameras in nearly every corner of the school and the administration uses them to find if students were actually skipping class, to see if anyone is doing anything in the hallways they aren't supposed to, to look back on fights/other mishaps, and for overall security when no one is in the school. If a school is having disciplinary problems then cameras in hallways will surely help. I know of plenty of times when someone was up to something and said "Oh wait, there's a camera here...I don't wanna get caught."

My first high school had 3,600 students in a 17 building environment. Not only did we have security cameras but we had police officers at every building, sometimes two or three designated to one location. At Bluefield, there are security cameras but no police to do anything. There are the Wallace Security jokes, but no one cares what any of them have to say (I could go on for a while about my hatred of these "security" people). Right now, these security cameras at Bluefield provide the only enforcement to assist the adminstration. They are a necessity.

$4Million in budget cuts? I know the people here in Charlotte wish we had that type of budget cuts. We are looking at loosing 400 teachers and 80 pricipals with 6 new schools being built. WE have to give back so much money it's crazy down here right now.

I could only imagine what bigger cities like Charlotte are going through.

Still building 6 new schools with all those budget cuts? Pitiful public policy, if you ask me.

As of now we're looking at $55 million in budget cuts for next year due to the county's revenue shortfalls.

YIKES, that's insane, man.

Are the school systems so overcrowded that the 6 new schools cannot be delayed or scrapped altogether? That would save about 20%-25%, as a very rough ballpark estimate. Would there be any alternative means of revenue: restaurant taxes or increased city taxes, for example? I know that wouldn't ease much, but anything to keep teachers from being fired. That's the last thing the teaching industry needs right now.

YIKES, that's insane, man.

Are the school systems so overcrowded that the 6 new schools cannot be delayed or scrapped altogether? That would save about 20%-25%, as a very rough ballpark estimate. Would there be any alternative means of revenue: restaurant taxes or increased city taxes, for example? I know that wouldn't ease much, but anything to keep teachers from being fired. That's the last thing the teaching industry needs right now.

as long as male high school math teachers are in need when i get out of college im alright lol.

as long as male high school math teachers are in need when i get out of college im alright lol.

The state of GA is proposing to pay math/science teachers on a higher scale to be somewhat more competitive in retaining these teachers from being lured into the business world.

I could only imagine what bigger cities like Charlotte are going through.

Still building 6 new schools with all those budget cuts? Pitiful public policy, if you ask me.

There are things about this county that are undesirable.......but the county school system is first rate. I will have to say that the county commission, the school board and the law enforcement are probably some of the best in the nation.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2009/02/23/gwinnett_schools_jobs.html

Gwinnett schools defy economy, plan to hire

By D. AILEEN DODD

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Monday, February 23, 2009

While some metro school systems prepare to close campuses and eliminate staff, Georgia’s largest district is expanding.

excerpt:

"And in Gwinnett, even as the district opens 10 new schools in August, some jobs are being eliminated due to redistricting and annual state funding cuts. About 120 full-time teachers were displaced in the shuffle. All but 25 of them have been placed in new jobs, Roach said. “We are confident that all of our teachers will have a position.”

Edited by trublue

For your sake, I hope you're right...however, the Stimulas package will keep state schools above water for one more year...it looks like after that, unless there is a dramatic change in the economy...there will be massive cutbacks and layoffs statewide the following year. Critical needs areas (like math and science) will probably be pretty safe, but I wouldn't "count" on anything...Schools are prepared to cut back whereverry' necessary. Most likely Teachers Aids and administrative type positions will be scaled back first, There is a freeze on hiring in most counties now. Counties are offering early retirement to get the teachers with more experience off the payroll and they will not re-hire for those positions, meaning bigger class sizes for everybody. Schools and Teachers aren't immune to the effects of the economy, it's just something everybody is going to have to deal with for a while, until things get bettter.

You are correct futbolking. After posting the earlier article about GCPS....I found this article in the county paper published today.

excerpt:

"But if economic conditions continue to worsen and revenue continues to fall, the school system may have to make deeper cuts in the future, Wilbanks warned.

"We hope we aren't mean, but we have tried to be lean," Wilbanks said.

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/main.asp?SectionID=6&SubSectionID=84&ArticleID=57354

Edited by trublue

For your sake, I hope you're right...however, the Stimulas package will keep state schools above water for one more year...it looks like after that, unless there is a dramatic change in the economy...there will be massive cutbacks and layoffs statewide the following year. Critical needs areas (like math and science) will probably be pretty safe, but I wouldn't "count" on anything...Schools are prepared to cut back whereverry' necessary. Most likely Teachers Aids and administrative type positions will be scaled back first, There is a freeze on hiring in most counties now. Counties are offering early retirement to get the teachers with more experience off the payroll and they will not re-hire for those positions, meaning bigger class sizes for everybody. Schools and Teachers aren't immune to the effects of the economy, it's just something everybody is going to have to deal with for a while, until things get bettter.

That's a good post. A very truthful one.

As for right now. Math, Science, and EC (special ed.) teachers are not part of the future layoffs. This is great news for me because I teach EC. I'm glad i took my mother's advice and got the special ed endorsement to go with my regular ed degree.