Joel Elswick to sign with Randolph Macon

tbgfan

Per Bristol Herald Courier -March 12th

Richlands High School quarterback Joel Elswick plans to sign with 2008 ODAC champion Randolph-Macon College on March 24th.

A two-year starter in the spread offense for the Blue Tornado, Elswick threw for over 4,000 yards and ran for over 1,000.

As a senior, Elswick earned Southwest District offensive player of the year honors along with first-team All-Region IV and first-team All-Southwest Virginia.

Life has many choices---eternity two

congrats great QB. However why do people want to say kids "SIGN" with division III schools? They are getting no money from the football program nor if they don't go to that school they can still play football anywhere else they want to. There is no legal binding contract like when a player signs a letter of intent to play football and receives money to do so. I am not knocking division III football cause it is great. And by NO MEANS is it a knock on Joel or anyone who plays Division III cause they do it for free which means they love football. It just think it takes way from kids who really sign to play Division 1,1AA, & division II

Because RHS issues a press release and holds a reception for every student-athlete going to college to continue their athletic career. Doesn't matter where they're going or if they have a scholarship. It's a celebration of their accomplishments.

I would say they do this for a few reasons:

1. They SIGN a letter of intent.

2. They obviously have good grades and SAT/ACT scores or they wouldn't be going DIII.

3. They are proud of the student-athletes accomplishments and understand the dedication the athlete and his family are to the sport and the school they are selecting.

4. They want to inspire younger kids to do well in school so they can have opportunities at schools where grades really do count.

Congratulations Joel -- you are an All Star on and off the playing field! Younger kids would do well to look to you.

They say sign to try and make it look important when it isn't. They just want look good even though they can not make it any higher then D-III.

You're retarded. Yeah, it's important. He's continuing his football career in college. Doesn't matter what division. I'm sorry not everybody can be division 1 football players. One of the best linebackers currently in the NFL played division 3 football.

Congrats Joel on your "signing, committing, verbalizing, shaking your head yes, thumbs up, and uttering in your own voice in front of others " that you will be playing for R-M.:)

Your attendance at R-M is a plus for this school and they will immediately recognize it with your work ethic, smarts and skills. Good luck.

You're retarded. Yeah, it's important. He's continuing his football career in college. Doesn't matter what division. I'm sorry not everybody can be division 1 football players. One of the best linebackers currently in the NFL played division 3 football.

But that will not be Joel, he is not good enough. if he goes to the NFL i will come back on here and say that i am retarted myself. but i would not hold my breathe, cause it will not happen. and you do not have to go to college to continue playin football. thats what the semi-pro is for.

But that will not be Joel, he is not good enough. if he goes to the NFL i will come back on here and say that i am retarted myself. but i would not hold my breathe, cause it will not happen. and you do not have to go to college to continue playin football. thats what the semi-pro is for.

Your right, you do not have to go to college to continue playing footbal; however, most need to go to college to get a good job that they enjoy in order to support themselves and one day their family. Most choose to go to college and play sports simple because they love the game, the feeling of being on a team, and to learn not only about their sport but about a major that they feel they will be able to be a productive citizen and contribute in a positive way to society.

I do not think professional football is Joel's goal - nor the goal that his family would choose for him. I think having a profession is Joel's goal and while he is achieving that playing a little football.

I looked at your profile and according to that you are from Tazewell - and it appears that you play football or want to play football there - show some respect not only for Joel, but for yourself - Joel may not be the next Joe Montana, but Richlands was good enough under Joel's field leadership to beat Tazewell twice - Show some respect, not only for Joel, but for yourself and your team.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Just out of couriosity, Who is that?

And congrads Joel, No matter what any one post on here Good luck on your career and education... I dont understand why anyone whould question anyone becasue it is a d3 school! For crying out loud he didnt end up working at wal mart or a mine somewhere.. and No knock to anyone who works in the coalfields, because I do!!! But im saying No matter what school he goes to or division its always a great accomplishment to build a stronger foundation for your future... COngrats once again man!

Just out of couriosity, Who is that?

And congrads Joel, No matter what any one post on here Good luck on your career and education... I dont understand why anyone whould question anyone becasue it is a d3 school! For crying out loud he didnt end up working at wal mart or a mine somewhere.. and No knock to anyone who works in the coalfields, because I do!!! But im saying No matter what school he goes to or division its always a great accomplishment to build a stronger foundation for your future... COngrats once again man!

London Fletcher. He went to Division 3 John Carroll. By the way there happen to be a lot of Division 3 players in the NFL. Casey Fitzsimmons, Byron Westbrook, Pierre Garcon, Andy Studebaker, DeDe Dorsey and so forth.

Edited by _______________

Joel, I posted the article and now I want to extend my congrats on signing to play with RM. Your work ethic and character will help you there, just as it did with the big Blues--- two years as starting qb, with one state final appearance and one semi-final appearance.

Great job!!!

Keep Matthew 6:33 as your foundation and you will do well.

Life has many choices---eternity two

• 2 weeks later...

he is not all that.... I never even heard of that school odac what conference is that

The same conference E&H is in.

BTW, he may not be ALL that, but the chances are he beat your team at least once.

edit: I figured out you are from Tazewell, so he definitely beat your team SEVERAL times. It makes sense now.

Edited by BigBlueAlum

it is obviously getting harder and harder for someone from tazewell to congratulate anyone from richlands on accomplishing something each year, maybe the recent head-to-head record has to do something with it...too bad t-town's one player that signed to play d1 college ball couldnt beat richlands's one player that signed to play d3 ball. you can down joel as much as you want, but i believe his accolades and character speak for themselves and the funny thing is so does yours, im talking about your character because obviously you have no accolades ; ).