Grundy to go Single A in 2010

GrundyWinsAll

I do not know where you are going with this. I was justifying the single A drop with the number of athletes we have at Grundy. You have Identified 3 people over your lifetime who could run fast. In the higher population areas, teams have 3 on their team every year. Last year when the A.D. had agreed on single A, the LPD said they did not want Grundy and the BDD said come on in. The LPD move seems a little moronic with the drive, but I do not understand the way some of those people think. I know the LPD has more sports. I assumed it would work in other sports like it will work in wrestling. 1 of 2 possibilities. 1. Team in a district without any other schools with the sport becomes District Champion and advances to Region. 2. Team joins another district tournament for the sport. I think in Wrestling most schools will want Grundy in the first possibility. The wrestlers will go into the Region as a #1 seed. Another possibility would be all Grundy Wrestlers going in as 4 seeds, but then the top wrestlers would have Grundy kids first round and I do not think their coaches will allow this. Which is why I think they will go to Region as District champs.

I see your point as most coaches wouldn't want their wrestlers competing against Grundy in the first round of the regions, but what justification does Grundy have being District Champs if they don't have a district?

I could see that being a problem. Surely Grundy would be put in a district for wrestling purposes. Granted they will probably win whatever district they are put in, it just seems to me if they all go in as district champs it puts other schools at a misadvantage.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not know where you are going with this. I was justifying the single A drop with the number of athletes we have at Grundy. You have Identified 3 people over your lifetime who could run fast.

lol...yeah....that was not really directed towards you....someone else brought it up and I expanded on it...sorry to sidetrack the conversation.

What you are talking about with the automatic pass to the region as district winners is what I am wondering about though...just curious if it had been discussed as to how that would be handled...do any of the BDD schools have a wrestling program? Just curious if they might put the wrestling in another district for just that sport and put the rest of the sports in the BDD. If they were the only school with a program and advanced to the region as the BDD rep, I can see some people in the region whining about that...not justified given the circumstances, but you know it will happen.

Might also join the CMD for soccer. Outside of Honaker, only the CMD schools have soccer programs, with Honaker competing in the CMD.

what about the girls sports? Do the other BDD teams have softball and volleyball teams or stuff like that?

I like going into the Region District Champs, imagine that! I Think that when Hurley and Garden had wrestling teams they dualed and the winner was District Champ and loser Runner-up. I think that the Region tournament may be reconfigured adding the BDD. I think that the CMD would allow Grundy in to wrestle if it was a problem. I think this is probabally the road any of the sports that the BDD teams do not have will take. (Finding the next closest district with the sport)

Other than competeing on a level playing field, I do not see any other advantages. I think if they went down last year like they were supposed to we wouldn't have to drop mid cycle. I did hear that the only team Grundy will have to add to the F-Ball schedule is Honaker. The SWD teams will probabally drop us after the cycle is over then we can fill in with Single A teams.

Other than competeing on a level playing field, I do not see any other advantages. I think if they went down last year like they were supposed to we wouldn't have to drop mid cycle. I did hear that the only team Grundy will have to add to the F-Ball schedule is Honaker. The SWD teams will probabally drop us after the cycle is over then we can fill in with Single A teams.

so who do you think they can pick up for football?

I see TV, Hurley, Haysi, and Honaker for sure in district...who do you think the other 6 teams will be? That looks like a LOT of games to fill in to me...I can tell you Richlands, Tazewell, Marion, and Carrol County will not want to play Grundy...Graham might just because of the ties to the two programs...and the fact Graham has problems finding games as well, but also consider Graham counts on a tough schedule to get them in to the playoffs on points so Grundy would have little to offer....so consider Graham the 5th (maybe)...still leaves 5 games to fill....Lebanon, Clintwood, and Gate City don't want to play Grundy, this is no secret...so who else do you get? John Battle wont want to make the trip to Grundy and they have no problems finding games so I doubt they would be a fill in... The KY schools don't want to play Grundy any more, maybe east ridge...but Paintsville, Shelby Valley and the others will not make the trip to Grundy unless it was for a "bowl" game that might be the only way, this is known...the WV teams don't want to make the trip and last time around wanted to sign 2 year deals playing both games at home? so who else fills in the other 5 games?

someone like st. paul, castlewood, evinton, pound, and maybe big creek because twin valley played all of them this year and they might just play grundy if they plan ahead of time and are able to drop someone or someone may have dropped them.....but they should be able to find some games

I'm sure Luke Owens and David Scammell would play us with Appalachia and Castlewood. Then you have teams like JJ Kelly, JI Burton and Clintwood Single A teams who have played us regularly in the past. I think that these teams have Football - Rye Cove, Coeburn, Lee High, Virginia High, John Battle, Powell Valley, and any other Single A team with a football team inside an Hour Drive would be fine with playing a a game. Now, Eastridge should be a mainstay on the schedule and Iager or Bradshaw should be too. If it takes a "bowl" game to get somes games, good, the kids benefit from the bigger atmosphere and normally something to take home.(Jersey or T-shirt) I think that all of these guys are strong canidates for the schedule in the next term. I've seen Grundy play most of these guys before.

someone like st. paul, castlewood, evinton, pound, and maybe big creek because twin valley played all of them this year and they might just play grundy if they plan ahead of time and are able to drop someone or someone may have dropped them.....but they should be able to find some games

Castlewood maybe...there are ties to Grundy within the program...so...that might be an option...I doubt the others would work...I know Big Creek wont...say you get 2 of the other 4 considering timeframes and such for schedules will line up...who else? you still have 3 or 4 games to fill....Burton? Kelly? I doubt it...Wytheville? I doubt it...you are going to have to find a team that will line up for an open week and needs a game...I don't think many of those will have a game that they would drop just to add Grundy...travel will be the issue...people wont want to make the drive...it's not that it's as bad as everyone thinks, although that is part of it...but it's not a bad trip for most, but some yes it's a bad trip if you don't come in via Shortt's Gap....it's just time consuming.

I think you guys are seriously under estimating the difficulty in filling 10 games for Grundy...they are going to have a hard time I think.

I'm sure Luke Owens and David Scammell would play us with Appalachia and Castlewood. Then you have teams like JJ Kelly, JI Burton and Clintwood Single A teams who have played us regularly in the past. I think that these teams have Football - Rye Cove, Coeburn, Lee High, Virginia High, John Battle, Powell Valley, and any other Single A team with a football team inside an Hour Drive would be fine with playing a a game. Now, Eastridge should be a mainstay on the schedule and Iager or Bradshaw should be too. If it takes a "bowl" game to get somes games, good, the kids benefit from the bigger atmosphere and normally something to take home.(Jersey or T-shirt) I think that all of these guys are strong canidates for the schedule in the next term. I've seen Grundy play most of these guys before.

Appalachia might be another one...I don't know about Rye Cove honestly, that may be an option?...Giles, Lee High, Clintwood, and Powell Valley will not want to make the trip...Battle has no reason to add Grundy they have plenty of games already...Iager is consolidating soon aren't they? Will be a pretty good sized school once they do. With Terry Smith out at Va High they *might* entertain playing Grundy again *if* they need a game, if they don't need a game there is no way they will play us...they were trying to drop Grundy the last few years they played them...East Ridge as I said in the other post might be a bowl type option...we were on the same page there.

Another thing to consider is that with Grundy not playing Richlands, Tazewell, Marion, Carroll County, and maybe not Graham...there are going to be a lot of slots for some of those teams that Grundy might try to schedule that can pick up the void Grundy left in the SWD schedule...points wise it would be better for Richlands and those other teams to play and beat some of the A teams that will have 8+ wins or so vs. playing Grundy who might have 2 wins based on the previous 4 years.

Who is in charge of making up the wrestling schedules anyway?

The Coaching staff schedules everything but district matches in wrestling. I doubt that there schedule will change much. The only Changes I see would be replacing any SWD matches with other District teams (if any are there). If no district matches are required then they will fill those dates as well.

One other thing, If Grundy changes its schedule what would stop them from having 8+ wins? I think that if they plan it right, in our area they could be "king of the area" - Buchanan County, Pike KY, and McDowell WV. That doesn't mean we are a single A powerhouse, but you should be able to schedule a paper champ.

Edited by GrundyWinsAll

Travel to the schools that have been mentioned is no shorter than the games Grundy played in the SWD.* Some actually even worse.* Travel cost was also listed I believe as a reason for the drop.* Will the wrestling team be participating in more "local" tournaments against teams that have the same problems fielding a full team instead of traveling to places such as Reno?* Seems to defeat the purpose of dropping if we take our boys to these major tournaments that they cant win. We should be competing against schools our own size!

Aahhh my young patawan, let me explain. We will train against the best competition in the country to be better prepared to wrestle the state level competition. In years that the team is not as strong you compete against teams that are not on the National Level. However as long as individuals are achieving National Rankings and beating Nationally Ranked wrestlers we will continue to go as far as we need to to face the toughest competition in the Country and then Return to the State level for the post season. Wrestling against the top kids in the country makes you tougher than wrestling kids that just started wrestling.

Aahhh my young patawan, let me explain. We will train against the best competition in the country to be better prepared to wrestle the state level competition. In years that the team is not as strong you compete against teams that are not on the National Level. However as long as individuals are achieving National Rankings and beating Nationally Ranked wrestlers we will continue to go as far as we need to to face the toughest competition in the Country and then Return to the State level for the post season. Wrestling against the top kids in the country makes you tougher than wrestling kids that just started wrestling.

I agree...and it's good for the kids...one of the few programs in the area in any sport that provides that sort of opportunity for the kids...GWC is a top notch program at any level.

which is another reason I think that you can compete at AA level without dropping down to A level...you just said it better than i probably could...Grundy has done this sort of thing and gotten results from it for 20+ years...i think you can continue to do so...this year was a bit of a down year for state, but in the years past you didn't win but were at least competetive at state...why not ride out the tuff times and continue to get stronger nationally and compete at a state level?

In years past, Grundy would compete the season long behind the eightball and then come back to the level playing field. The numbers are very hard to overcome. The team this year is strong. However that doesn't justify putting them in a group 5X larger. You talk about tough times, this group is not it. I think about the "what if". What if Grundy had went Single A in 1999. How many 4X state champs have been "screwed by the system"? Matt Lee beat a 2X single A state champ everytime they wrestled. I look at the group comming through now, Ethan Owens, Jon Dotson, Jeremy Hurley, Sean Vandyke, Tanner McClanahan, Tyler McClanahan, Dakota Vance, Cody Rife all would already have state titles and many would have 2 or more. Is Single A not as tough as Double A? Yes. However what division do we belong in? Single A

Appalachia might be another one...I don't know about Rye Cove honestly, that may be an option?...Giles, Lee High, Clintwood, and Powell Valley will not want to make the trip...Battle has no reason to add Grundy they have plenty of games already...Iager is consolidating soon aren't they? Will be a pretty good sized school once they do. With Terry Smith out at Va High they *might* entertain playing Grundy again *if* they need a game, if they don't need a game there is no way they will play us...they were trying to drop Grundy the last few years they played them...East Ridge as I said in the other post might be a bowl type option...we were on the same page there.

Another thing to consider is that with Grundy not playing Richlands, Tazewell, Marion, Carroll County, and maybe not Graham...there are going to be a lot of slots for some of those teams that Grundy might try to schedule that can pick up the void Grundy left in the SWD schedule...points wise it would be better for Richlands and those other teams to play and beat some of the A teams that will have 8+ wins or so vs. playing Grundy who might have 2 wins based on the previous 4 years.

Who is in charge of making up the wrestling schedules anyway?

I know for a fact that Clintwood wanted to to get Grundy on the schedule again but Grundy was not able to make the dates work out

Clintwood, Appalachia, JJ kelly, East Ridge, Pound, Castlewood, and I know Big Creek will play them becasue they are always needing games. Its not that hard people. Hurley and TV always manages to find 7 non-district games and you know that everybody dont want to make the trip to Hurley or TV either. Grundy has jsut had to schedule 3 non-district games in the past and Hurley and TV has always had to schedule 7. Come on people scheduling is not going to be that bad. They are people out there that will play.

Very little will change with Grundy wrestling competing in the BDD. Although the BDD has no wrestling teams, Grundy will win the BDD about as easily as they have won the SWD for the past 25 years.

On a serious note, Coach Rowe will have a difficult time finding games for Grundy. Although, there are plenty of Single A schools to choose from, many will shun Grundy for a while because they "just moved down." Despite the fact that they have been the same size as most of the Single A competition ...............

I know for a fact that Clintwood wanted to to get Grundy on the schedule again but Grundy was not able to make the dates work out

there in lies the problem...if you can find someone who needs a game, getting it to work out on the correct week is not always an easy task.

Clintwood, Appalachia, JJ kelly, East Ridge, Pound, Castlewood, and I know Big Creek will play them becasue they are always needing games. Its not that hard people. Hurley and TV always manages to find 7 non-district games and you know that everybody dont want to make the trip to Hurley or TV either. Grundy has jsut had to schedule 3 non-district games in the past and Hurley and TV has always had to schedule 7. Come on people scheduling is not going to be that bad. They are people out there that will play.

...and Hurley and TV have both had problems filling the games as well...and a few of those you mentioned will not want to schedule Grundy for one reason or another or they would have been playing in the regular season the past 5 or 6 years when Grundy was needing a game.

Very little will change with Grundy wrestling competing in the BDD. Although the BDD has no wrestling teams, Grundy will win the BDD about as easily as they have won the SWD for the past 25 years.

On a serious note, Coach Rowe will have a difficult time finding games for Grundy. Although, there are plenty of Single A schools to choose from, many will shun Grundy for a while because they "just moved down." Despite the fact that they have been the same size as most of the Single A competition ...............

as usual, this man speaks the truth.

there in lies the problem...if you can find someone who needs a game, getting it to work out on the correct week is not always an easy task.

True however with 6 dates (7 if you count the Bye week and 8 if you count the week after the season is over) I think there will be an opening plus the teams that Honaker, TV and Hurley will have to drop in order to pick up Grundy will all be looking for an extra game.

I have no doubt that scheduleing for 2011 will be a a pain in the butt for football but it is nothing that can't be overcome

True however with 6 dates (7 if you count the Bye week and 8 if you count the week after the season is over) I think there will be an opening plus the teams that Honaker, TV and Hurley will have to drop in order to pick up Grundy will all be looking for an extra game.

I have no doubt that scheduleing for 2011 will be a a pain in the butt for football but it is nothing that can't be overcome

And that is why the A.D. gets the big bucks. To put up with a few minor problems that can be fixed through a little extra effort.