Billy Gillespie out at UK

hokie07

I personally think Calipari will end up in Lexington.

I really don't think Calipari will end up in Lexington because he is on top of the world in Memphis essentially. Aside from the competition level in the C-USA, Calipari has just about anything he wants in Memphis. He is playing in an NBA arena, he is making millions of dollars, and he can still land just about any recruit he wants to, regardless of conference reputation (see Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, and Co.). Plus, as long as he is coaching at Memphis he is almost ensured a #1-2 seed every year in the NCAA tournament should he take care of a little business at the beginning of the season. I think this is nothing more than Calipari using Kentucky as a little increase in salary, if anything at all.

FWIW, I see the same situation in Charlottesville. Chances are Beilein, Capel, etc., will just use this as an opportunity as to renegotiate contract extensions at their current programs. Sorry, Observer. ;)

Does anyone not think Bobby Knight would go for this. He said he would only come out for the right job. How would this not be the right job. Granted, we don't know how long he would be there, but still a good fit.

He is not a good fit for Kentucky or their fans in any way shape or form.

I really don't think Calipari will end up in Lexington because he is on top of the world in Memphis essentially. Aside from the competition level in the C-USA, Calipari has just about anything he wants in Memphis. He is playing in an NBA arena, he is making millions of dollars, and he can still land just about any recruit he wants to, regardless of conference reputation (see Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, and Co.). Plus, as long as he is coaching at Memphis he is almost ensured a #1-2 seed every year in the NCAA tournament should he take care of a little business at the beginning of the season. I think this is nothing more than Calipari using Kentucky as a little increase in salary, if anything at all.

With Calipari, you also have his ego to deal with and Kentucky would be quite an ego boost to him. With Kentucky's prestige, there is just something about winning there that is special. Same with winning at Kansas, UNC, or UCLA in basketball that Memphis can't match. No knock against the Memphis program, but that is just the way it is.

Why did Nick Saban leave the NFL to come back to college at one of the toughest jobs in the nation? Was it the money? No way. His ego and something about winning football games at Alabama.

With Calipari, you also have his ego to deal with and Kentucky would be quite an ego boost to him. With Kentucky's prestige, there is just something about winning there that is special. Same with winning at Kansas, UNC, or UCLA in basketball that Memphis can't match. No knock against the Memphis program, but that is just the way it is.

Why did Nick Saban leave the NFL to come back to college at one of the toughest jobs in the nation? Was it the money? No way. His ego and something about winning football games at Alabama.

I was about to post the same thing. Calipari has a huge ego, one in which it'll be hard for him to turn down the Kentucky job if offered. He knows if he gets UK back to contending he'll be god-like in the state of Kentucky.

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

The majority of the UK fanbase DOES NOT want Ford. They want Calipari. If the job doesnt go to him then they will turn to Sean Miller if all other older, established coaches pass. I personally think Calipari will end up in Lexington.

Calipari's too content to beat up on cupcakes in the inferior Conference-USA.

I don't see him going, especially with the recruiting classes and lack of competition at Memphis.

Calipari's too content to beat up on cupcakes in the inferior Conference-USA.

I don't see him going, especially with the recruiting classes and lack of competition at Memphis.

Good point too. He did have the same set up at UMA$$.

I was about to post the same thing. Calipari has a huge ego, one in which it'll be hard for him to turn down the Kentucky job if offered. He knows if he get UK back to contending he'll be god-like in the state of Kentucky.

It will be interesting for Kentucky fans. I for one don't want to see him in Lexington. He has a lot of baggage that would come with him and not just the Samsonite he would pack his head in.

It will be interesting for Kentucky fans. I for one don't want to see him in Lexington. He has a lot of baggage that would come with him and not just the Samsonite he would pack his head in.

He definitely has baggage, much like many of the players he recruits. He gets the big-timers that most other programs won't touch. It'll be interesting to see how that works at a school like Kentucky were they've been bitten by NCAA sanctions in the past.

He's got an offer and its being said UK is willing to go as high as 7 mil per to get Cal in Lexington.* I told you guys, he's UK bound.....Unless Memphis really empties their pockets....and I dont see that happening...

More speculation...........

Source: John Calipari meets with players, hints at departure to Kentucky

By Dan Wolken (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal

Originally published 09:53 a.m., March 30, 2009

Updated 09:53 a.m., March 30, 2009

University of Memphis coach John Calipari met with his players this morning to discuss his involvement with the University of Kentucky opening, according to a source close to the situation.

While Calipari did not say explicitly what he planned to do, players left the meeting convinced that Calipari would take the job. According to the source, Calipari told the team that Kentucky was the Notre Dame of basketball.

Meanwhile, ESPN.com reported Monday morning that Calipari met with Kentucky officials over the weekend to discuss an outline of a deal to replace Billy Gillispie.

A source told The Commercial Appeal on Sunday that Calipari had expressed interest in the job and could meet with Kentucky this week but that a meeting was “not definite.”

Memphis officials, according to multiple sources, had no direct knowledge of a meeting between Calipari and Kentucky if one indeed took place over the weekend. Kentucky still had not asked Memphis for formal permission to speak with Calipari as of 9:45 a.m., according to sports information director Lamar Chance.

Either way, Memphis is expected to make a strong bid to keep Calipari with a financial package that would make him the highest paid coach in basketball, according to another source.

More speculation...........

Source: John Calipari meets with players, hints at departure to Kentucky

By Dan Wolken (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal

Originally published 09:53 a.m., March 30, 2009

Updated 09:53 a.m., March 30, 2009

University of Memphis coach John Calipari met with his players this morning to discuss his involvement with the University of Kentucky opening, according to a source close to the situation.

While Calipari did not say explicitly what he planned to do, players left the meeting convinced that Calipari would take the job. According to the source, Calipari told the team that Kentucky was the Notre Dame of basketball.

Meanwhile, ESPN.com reported Monday morning that Calipari met with Kentucky officials over the weekend to discuss an outline of a deal to replace Billy Gillispie.

A source told The Commercial Appeal on Sunday that Calipari had expressed interest in the job and could meet with Kentucky this week but that a meeting was “not definite.â€

Memphis officials, according to multiple sources, had no direct knowledge of a meeting between Calipari and Kentucky if one indeed took place over the weekend. Kentucky still had not asked Memphis for formal permission to speak with Calipari as of 9:45 a.m., according to sports information director Lamar Chance.

Either way, Memphis is expected to make a strong bid to keep Calipari with a financial package that would make him the highest paid coach in basketball, according to another source.

WOW, that's an interesting article indeed...

He's got an offer and its being said UK is willing to go as high as 7 mil per to get Cal in Lexington.* I told you guys, he's UK bound.....Unless Memphis really empties their pockets....and I dont see that happening...

Expect a counter-offer from Memphis. I think he's he stays, but I've been wrong 2 or 3 times in my life before this, so you might be right. Either way, Calipari will be the highest paid coach in the country here shortly.

Two years of that kind of money....equates to several years for others BB coaches at other successful programs. Even, if he doesn't last past two years.....he's still found the pot of gold at the end of the "blue" rainbow.

Wow....I do kind of wonder if he really understands the microscope he's gonna be under in Kentucky....especially with that contract.

He thrives on that kind of attention. At UK, he and his team will be on TV and talked about 90% of the time. Can anyone tell me how many regular season games they have wached on TV that featured Memphis in the last two or three years?

He's gonna get paid either way. Money won't be an issue for either school as far as the coach getting paid. UK has the money to put into it's bball program and will do whatever if they really want him.

I think he goes because this is his change to finally be at a big time school. This is similar to the Beilien situation from WVU. He has the chance to go to a school and try to regain the Michigan basketball status of old. Great facilities and so forth. Memphis has done a great job under him and this year replace a great player in Rose and still made it two games in tournament and won 30 games.

I know the Conf. USA is cake but recruits will go to Kentucky and to Cal. He's had a few players go in the draft. I'd say it comes down to that one shot at getting that "dream" job. Here is his opportunity.

Like I said in the beginning...Cal is your next UK coach...No doubt about it IMO...Fans are dying to have him and so is the administration...I have heard everything from 6 yrs 40 mil to 8 yrs 35 mil....

He says he is going to sleep on it tonight before making a decision....He is crazy if he turns down the money UK is throwing around....

Edited by Grundy10