Tobacco Users

Guest JJBrickface

And VA will ban smoking in restaurants on Dec. 1, 2009

http://www.gwinnettforum.com/2005issues/05.0520.htm

excerpt:

"MAY 20, 2005 -- On May 9, Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue signed landmark legislation making Georgia the first major tobacco state in the nation to enact a statewide ban on public smoking. The Smoke-Free Air Act of Georgia passed by an overwhelming bi-partisan majority of both houses of the State Legislature.

According to a Zogby poll commissioned by the Atlanta Journal Constitution, the Smoke Free Air Act is supported by 64 percent of voters."

Smoking is banned in Gwinnett Co. in all public buildings, workplaces and restaurants. When GA was trying to implement this ban.....many ppl were saying restaurants would suffer....but they didn't. (I think if you are mainly a "bar" (not rest./bar combination) then you are exempt from the smoking ban.

Guest JJBrickface

Whether you use tobacco or not, the bigger picture is the taxation of the product. In the past few month I have seen our government get "Bigger" right in front of my eyes. Did you see what happened the other day when the government essentially took control of GM? What effect will this have? Bigger government will lead to more dependency on government, leading to the end of the American Dream. Unfair taxation will breed resentment towards the government. Not a good combination.

I think its a great idea......guess thats cause I'm not a tobacco user and I can't stand being around the smoke from it.....

for the smokeless tobacco users....it must really suck

Whether you use tobacco or not, the bigger picture is the taxation of the product. In the past few month I have seen our government get "Bigger" right in front of my eyes. Did you see what happened the other day when the government essentially took control of GM? What effect will this have? Bigger government will lead to more dependency on government, leading to the end of the American Dream. Unfair taxation will breed resentment towards the government. Not a good combination.

They don't tax alcohol like this. Interesting...

Guest JJBrickface
They don't tax alcohol like this. Interesting...

Honestly I have a feeling thats coming soon as well, but tobacco is their first priority.

im neither a drinker or a smoker, and dont promote either of the habits, but people who have problems due to alcohol.. have these problems because they abused alcohol... the proper use of alcohol wont kill a person.. tobacco is the only legal drug in the country that will kill its users even with proper use.. that could be part of the reason alcohol hasnt been affected by this yet..

According to reports...the increased taxes will be going toward children's health care. Tobacco, that is "smoked" in households where young children reside, is known to be "harmful" to their health. There have been many health articles documenting this fact.....and as one poster stated earlier....there's nothing worse than seeing an adult puffing away in a car w/a kid/kids.

Is this tax drastic ......yes it is...... but, if it used for children's health care....great. My only concern ....exactly, how will the tax dollars be disbursed for this purpose and who will be watching/monitoring the hen house.

im neither a drinker or a smoker, and dont promote either of the habits, but people who have problems due to alcohol.. have these problems because they abused alcohol... the proper use of alcohol wont kill a person.. tobacco is the only legal drug in the country that will kill its users even with proper use.. that could be part of the reason alcohol hasnt been affected by this yet..

Not everyone that uses tobacco dies from it. I have known 90 year olds that have used tobacco since their teenage years that are still kickin. Besides their are a lot of "social smokers", that only smoke when out with friends or on certain occasions. They probably wont die from smoking related causes.

You don't have to have a drinking problem to die from drinking. Drunk drivers kill people everyday. I would be willing to bet a lot of drunk drivers, are not people who have drinking problems per say, they are your social drinkers that went out for a few drinks with friends, and through impaired judgment thought they could drive home. How about the young college student that goes on a drinking binge one weekend and doesn't wake-up the next morning?

Not everyone that uses tobacco dies from it. I have known 90 year olds that have used tobacco since their teenage years that are still kickin.

My great-grandfather was a chain-smoking, alcohol-drinking, fatty-food eating fool...he lived to be 103...he died of complications from a broken hip that he suffered after getting hit by a car walking home from the bar down the street...

Not everyone that uses tobacco dies from it. I have known 90 year olds that have used tobacco since their teenage years that are still kickin. Besides their are a lot of "social smokers", that only smoke when out with friends or on certain occasions. They probably wont die from smoking related causes.

You don't have to have a drinking problem to die from drinking. Drunk drivers kill people everyday. I would be willing to bet a lot of drunk drivers, are not people who have drinking problems per say, they are your social drinkers that went out for a few drinks with friends, and through impaired judgment thought they could drive home. How about the young college student that goes on a drinking binge one weekend and doesn't wake-up the next morning?

Sadly, I was right in the middle of a situation my 3rd year at UVA where a student died from alcohol poisoning. I spent the day consoling my friend, who was the RA who was on watch that night. Very stressful situation, and add to that the the Cavalier Daily severely mishandled the situation, and it was just heaping bad situations on top of an awful situation.

I've always found it ironic not to tax alcohol but to tax cigarettes. In the short term, cigarettes won't cause one to wrap one's car around a telephone pole at 75 MPH. In the long term, both are deadly addictions if abused. My idea: either tax both, or tax none. Of course, tons of lawmakers drink, but only a very few smoke. That's where the rubber meets the road.

I've always found it ironic not to tax alcohol but to tax cigarettes. In the short term, cigarettes won't cause one to wrap one's car around a telephone pole at 75 MPH. In the long term, both are deadly addictions if abused. My idea: either tax both, or tax none. Of course, tons of lawmakers drink, but only a very few smoke. That's where the rubber meets the road.

Excellent point!

Smoking has became shunned by society over the past few years, while drinking has became somewhat embraced. I think the main thing that has really hurt smoking are the catchy anti-smoking commercials that had been airing on TV for the past several years.

First off, let me say, this same bill was pushed through Congress by the Democrats but vetoed by President Bush during his last year in office. It was also the very first bill that was signed into law by our current President.

For all you smokers/tobacco users that voted Obama into the Oval office...smoke or chew on that.

Being an avid cigar smoker, and with an increase of $.40/stick or roughly $10/box of cigars, I don't mind paying as long as the tax money is PROPERLY USED in the way it is meant to be used, providing children's health care.

Will it change my smoking habits? Likely not.

And, if you are fussing over the increase in cost of your favorite tobacco product, then its my opinion you should be spending your money elsewhere...if you can't afford it, don't use it...simple as that...

I agree with your last statement. Perfectly put.

It's just one of those things where you force what you're doing on other people around you. The stinch that comes off of a person who was just smoking or been around those that have is awful. Smell your clothes the next morning after being in a bar. I go to my parents house to hang out once in a while and my son , wife, and myself all smell like cigarettes when we leave and they don't smoke while we are there unless it's outside. It's just on all the furniture, carpet, etc....

smokless and alcohol is something that affects the person using it. Granted alcohol can affect others but only if that person makes a bad decision. That person should pay to the fullest extent for that decision and the outcome of it.

Smoking anything in public is just inconsiderate of others. Especially those who don't choose where they go ...children. I know I know, people have smoked for years our country used to use it as one of it's main cash crops and still does blah blah. We are smarter people now, act like it.

i never said alcohol wouldnt kill a person.. i said when used properly it wont kill a person.. im pretty damn sure that drunk driving and binge drinking dont classify under proper usage...

Guest JJBrickface
According to reports...the increased taxes will be going toward children's health care. Tobacco, that is "smoked" in households where young children reside, is known to be "harmful" to their health. There have been many health articles documenting this fact.....and as one poster stated earlier....there's nothing worse than seeing an adult puffing away in a car w/a kid/kids.

Is this tax drastic ......yes it is...... but, if it used for children's health care....great. My only concern ....exactly, how will the tax dollars be disbursed for this purpose and who will be watching/monitoring the hen house.

I would advise you to do research on the SCHIP bill. That's the name of the bill passed that will fund children's healthcare with tobacco tax increases. After I did a little research on it I came to the conclusion that it was more of a political ploy to pass an increase on tobacco tax. Like I said earlier, as a politician it would make you look bad if you voted against insurance for kids.

i never said alcohol wouldnt kill a person.. i said when used properly it wont kill a person.. im pretty damn sure that drunk driving and binge drinking dont classify under proper usage...

But alcohol when used in any form alters the users state of mind. So just by using alcohol in anyway can very easily lead to the irresponsible use of alcohol.

I agree, their are many responsible drinkers, that have no problems using alcohol in the manner that it should. However, their are just as many people, or more, that abuse it and use it in ways that are irresponsible.

But alcohol when used in any form alters the users state of mind. So just by using alcohol in anyway can very easily lead to the irresponsible use of alcohol.

I agree, their are many responsible drinkers, that have no problems using alcohol in the manner that it should. However, their are just as many people, or more, that abuse it and use it in ways that are irresponsible.

Got that right!

My great-grandfather was a chain-smoking, alcohol-drinking, fatty-food eating fool...he lived to be 103...he died of complications from a broken hip that he suffered after getting hit by a car walking home from the bar down the street...

Mitch this probably means you'll be moderating and banning on this board "to infinity and beyond." :D

I would advise you to do research on the SCHIP bill. That's the name of the bill passed that will fund children's healthcare with tobacco tax increases. After I did a little research on it I came to the conclusion that it was more of a political ploy to pass an increase on tobacco tax. Like I said earlier, as a politician it would make you look bad if you voted against insurance for kids.

I would tend to agree w/you that the bill was probably passed to "kill two birds w/one stone." To put an enormous tax on tobacco users (to discourage them for health reasons is my assumption) but, also to increase needed revenue for the continued funding and additions to the schip bill.

excerpt:

"Because 99% of smokers make less than $250,000 a year, imposing such an onerous excise tax on tobacco will unfairly punish tobacco consumers – many who are members of the working poor – hard-working men and women living from paycheck to paycheck."

http://www.wsls.com/sls/news/state_regional/govtpolitics/article/perriello_criticizes_tobacco_tax_in_schip_bill/26793/

excerpt:

"Because 99% of smokers make less than $250,000 a year, imposing such an onerous excise tax on tobacco will unfairly punish tobacco consumers – many who are members of the working poor – hard-working men and women living from paycheck to paycheck."

http://www.wsls.com/sls/news/state_regional/govtpolitics/article/perriello_criticizes_tobacco_tax_in_schip_bill/26793/

If you make less than $250,000 a year, then maybe you should think about quitting. If it's such a nuissance to pay the extra for your habit, then kick it.

I am a member of that class and have been and will be all my life. I just don't see what the fuss is about. I love a good milkshake or a good burger from a fast food place every now and then, but if they jacked them up in price, I would stop purchasing them or on a rare occasion. It's not unfairly punishing anyone. LIke I've said, my mom and dad both smoke and I've tried for years to get them to quit, but unsuccessful so far. I've seen people die from lung cancer directly related to smoking.....it's awful. I don't know why anyone would want to do that to themselves. Maybe one day they will see the nastiness that is smoking and give it up for themselves and those that love them.

But hey, if you want to pay the high prices and smoke it up, please do but lock yourself up in a car or your home or get together with other smokers in a closed room and huff it up.

Just don't complain.