Tobacco Users

Guest JJBrickface

Guest JJBrickface

Wednesday, April 1 will be the start of the highest federal tax raise in the history of the United States. I would like to hear thoughts on this tax from tobacco users and non users.

Tobacco user: this blows

There's the "change" you voted for, Rocks! :D

(*DISCLAIMER* I'm not trying to turn this into a political argument.)

But, I agree with Rocks. As an amateur cigar connoisseur and a recreational dipper, this doesn't settle too well for me either.

Guest JJBrickface
How much is the tax hike?

It varies with each product.

Cigarettes 39¢ per pack $1.0066 per pack

Large Cigars 20.719% of manufacturer’s price; cap of 4.875¢/cigar 52.75% of manufacturer's price; cap of 40.26 per cigar

Little Cigars 4¢ per pack $1.0066 per pack

Pipe Tobacco $1.0969 per pound $2.8311 per pound

Chewing Tobacco 19.5¢ per pound 50.33¢ per pound

Snuff 58.5¢ per pound $1.51 per pound

RYO; Cigar Wrappers $1.0969 per pound $24.78 per pound

Cigarette Paper 1.22¢ per 50 papers 3.15¢ per 50 papers

Cigarette Tubes 2.44¢ per 50 tubes 6.30¢ per 50 tubes

Edited by JJBrickface

Guest JJBrickface
There's the "change" you voted for, Rocks! :D

(*DISCLAIMER* I'm not trying to turn this into a political argument.)

But, I agree with Rocks. As an amateur cigar connoisseur and a recreational dipper, this doesn't settle too well for me either.

Actually there is a very legitimate political debate that can be generated from this.

Snuff 58.5¢ per pound $1.51 per pound

and how much snuff (Weight wise) is in a can?

If they jack up the price of my grizzly anymore, i'm going to be forced to quit purchasing snuff....Not really, but I mean, give me a freaking break

Guest JJBrickface

If they jack up the price of my grizzly anymore, i'm going to be forced to quit purchasing snuff....Not really, but I mean, give me a freaking break

Don't worry Rocks, I don't think the increase will be as significant with snuff. Maybe 6 or cent per can. Pouches will be a tad bit cheaper because they weigh less.

Don't worry Rocks, I don't think the increase will be as significant with snuff. Maybe 6 or cent per can. Pouches will be a tad bit cheaper because they weigh less.

Hells yes!

JJ, explain to me this one. I live in Keyser and a can of grizzly wintergreen LC is 2.69 or something, and in Bluefield, it's only a 1.88

Why?

Guest JJBrickface
Hells yes!

JJ, explain to me this one. I live in Keyser and a can of grizzly wintergreen LC is 2.69 or something, and in Bluefield, it's only a 1.88

Why?

Sometimes depends on what kind of store you buy it, then you include taxes, and finally mark up. Most likely wholesalers in that area have a higher mark up price and then the retailers add theirs on. In my position I can't even talk about prices to retailers as it is against the law. Pretty crazy stuff.

My Copenhagen pouches can says .82 ounces.

well from a non-user i'd say it is a good thing, might catch some heat from that haha, but I mean they know people aren't gonna quit this stuff because it is addicting and from my point of view people don't really need tobacco it isn't a necessity but maybe some of you feel differently..question though this tax does go to the government right?

Guest JJBrickface
well from a non-user i'd say it is a good thing, might catch some heat from that haha, but I mean they know people aren't gonna quit this stuff because it is addicting and from my point of view people don't really need tobacco it isn't a necessity but maybe some of you feel differently..question though this tax does go to the government right?

The tax does go to the government to fund a healthcare program for kids. However, I think that was just a political ploy to get the bill passed. I mean, if you vote against childrens insurance it is political suicide, right? Here is the catch, experts say that under this 6 out of 10 children who qualify already have private insurance. So in reality its not helping out children who are really in need of good health care.

As for tobacco, it has been a huge part of this countries history. I could see this tax increase hurting jobs if people do quit or cut down on their purchases. Tobacco is a big part of farming, wholesale, and retail businesses. I would think that a lot of C stores would have trouble surviving without adequate tobacco sales.

Actually there is a very legitimate political debate that can be generated from this.

I surely agree. I just remember when that the 3 Stooges thread turned political and Rocks questioned that, so I figured I would just inform him I wasn't trying to stir the pot.

BTW, JJ, are you a tobacco user yourself or do you just work in the industry?

The tax does go to the government to fund a healthcare program for kids. However, I think that was just a political ploy to get the bill passed. I mean, if you vote against childrens insurance it is political suicide, right? Here is the catch, experts say that under this 6 out of 10 children who qualify already have private insurance. So in reality its not helping out children who are really in need of good health care.

As for tobacco, it has been a huge part of this countries history. I could see this tax increase hurting jobs if people do quit or cut down on their purchases. Tobacco is a big part of farming, wholesale, and retail businesses. I would think that a lot of C stores would have trouble surviving without adequate tobacco sales.

What about the 4 out of 10 who don't?

Tobacco may be a part of this country's History as far as being a cash crop, but I think the health of our nation is much more important. Jobs will be affected to some extent I"m sure. They are being affected anyway at the moment.

I'm more in favor of jacking up the smoke tobacco tax because it is a problem for non-smokers unlike the smokeless. I can't stand seeing a kid in a car with the windows up tight and mom andor dad smoking it up like cheech and chong. It's ridiculous that a non-smoker can't go out to some places w/o being affected by someone elses bad habit. I'd love to see it banned as a drug...but won't happen.

I've heard both sides because both of my parents smoke...and I'm not buying any reason for this not to be good.

Guest JJBrickface
I surely agree. I just remember when that the 3 Stooges thread turned political and Rocks questioned that, so I figured I would just inform him I wasn't trying to stir the pot.

BTW, JJ, are you a tobacco user yourself or do you just work in the industry?

I work in the industry, I will use the product on occasion though.

Guest JJBrickface
What about the 4 out of 10 who don't?

Most likely those 4 children out of 10 have a better opportunity to receive the healthcare then a lot of other children. Once again we are neglecting lower class children who have NOTHING. Congressional Democrats want to expand the bill to where it qualifies families who make up to $80,000. The last time I checked if a families income is $80,000 then they already receive healthcare through their careers or they can afford it out of pocket.

First off, let me say, this same bill was pushed through Congress by the Democrats but vetoed by President Bush during his last year in office. It was also the very first bill that was signed into law by our current President.

For all you smokers/tobacco users that voted Obama into the Oval office...smoke or chew on that.

Being an avid cigar smoker, and with an increase of $.40/stick or roughly $10/box of cigars, I don't mind paying as long as the tax money is PROPERLY USED in the way it is meant to be used, providing children's health care.

Will it change my smoking habits? Likely not.

And, if you are fussing over the increase in cost of your favorite tobacco product, then its my opinion you should be spending your money elsewhere...if you can't afford it, don't use it...simple as that...

Hells yes!

Why?

Because the taxes in Virginia on tobacco are RIDICULOUSLY low. For years and years, VA had the lowest tobacco/cigarette tax in the nation at 2.5 cents/pack. It's risen in the past few years, but VA is still in the top 5. That's what you get when the state of VA is so concerned that R.J. Reynolds will leave that it will do ANYTHING R.J. Reynolds wants. If R.J. Reynolds wanted sacrificed goats left in the parking lot, the General Assembly would get it done.

I'm mostly kidding with that last one, but let's say that it wouldn't shock me. ;)

Come to PA if you want to see tobacco tax at its finest. A pack of Marlboro up here is $5.14. Yes, $5.14. You have it GOOD in VA, if you smoke.

Because the taxes in Virginia on tobacco are RIDICULOUSLY low. For years and years, VA had the lowest tobacco/cigarette tax in the nation at 2.5 cents/pack. It's risen in the past few years, but VA is still in the top 5. That's what you get when the state of VA is so concerned that R.J. Reynolds will leave that it will do ANYTHING R.J. Reynolds wants. If R.J. Reynolds wanted sacrificed goats left in the parking lot, the General Assembly would get it done.

I'm mostly kidding with that last one, but let's say that it wouldn't shock me. ;)

Come to PA if you want to see tobacco tax at its finest. A pack of Marlboro up here is $5.14. Yes, $5.14. You have it GOOD in VA, if you smoke.

And VA will ban smoking in restaurants on Dec. 1, 2009...http://www.vdh.state.va.us/news/Alerts/SmokingBanFAQs.htm

PA has no tax on cigars...many national distributors/retailers are located there for that reason...although the PA Governor just proposed a cigar tax that could change that...http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Features/CA_Feature_Basic_Template/0,2344,1786,00.html

And VA will ban smoking in restaurants on Dec. 1, 2009...http://www.vdh.state.va.us/news/Alerts/SmokingBanFAQs.htm

PA has no tax on cigars...many national distributors/retailers are located there for that reason...although the PA Governor just proposed a cigar tax that could change that...http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Features/CA_Feature_Basic_Template/0,2344,1786,00.html

There's a cigar retailer within walking distance of my apartment.

They advertise their built-in humidor, though I've never been there myself.

And knowing PA, they're going to pass any kind of tax proposed. BIG budget crisis up here.