Larry Hypes on the Beaver-Graham game...

BeaverHokie

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Cause it is tradition. Cause it is an honor to be part of one of the greatest rivalries of all time. Cause it is one the biggest days for the area, and everyone partakes in the festivities.

And for someone to BLINDLY say it has lost some of its supporters, well that just gets under some people's skin. Me, probably moreso than others, as I have never missed one. That probably goes for many on this board as well.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cause it is tradition. Cause it is an honor to be part of one of the greatest rivalries of all time. Cause it is one the biggest days for the area, and everyone partakes in the festivities.

And for someone to BLINDLY say it has lost some of its supporters, well that just gets under some people's skin. Me, probably moreso than others, as I have never missed one. That probably goes for many on this board as well.

I understand where you are coming from! But come on, to me a lot people took what he was saying the wrong way, and yes he may have worded it wrong! He is not taking nothing away from the great tradition.

I understand where you are coming from! But come on, to me a lot people took what he was saying the wrong way, and yes he may have worded it wrong! He is not taking nothing away from the great tradition.

i agree...you guys are kinda blowing this out of the park here...lol.

richlands still packs the stadium every friday night. Come playoff time the richlands side is packed way before the game and the other side has like 50 people with them still filling in near game time. The blues fans are crazy once the playoffs hit.

I beg to differ with this statement -- last season when Richlands was struggling early on [ and I say struggling only because they were not dominating and had lost a game or two - thats struggling to Richlands Fans] the stadium was not packed -- actually the season pass holders section was not 70% full.

I attend many of the Richlands home games -- for the past four season I have had a nephew playing and your right while they are winning everyone is on the Richlands Band Wagon - but when they lost a game the attendance dropped. The game I remember in particular is the Powell Valley game - I have season passes - and if I can't make the game I give them to my neighbor - so my seats are usually full - this game I was totally amazed at the decrease in attendance. I didn't get to the game until minutes before kickoff and the stadium and parking was considerably less crowded that it had been anytime in recent years.

Many of the fans around me were talking smack about the players and actually one mother turned and requested that an older guy [for the record who had never played football in his life - I went to RHS with him] quit attacking the quarterback -- she however was not the quarterback's mother -- she just simple said -- it is easy to support them and ride their band wagon when they are winning, how about you as a supporter remember that they are just kids playing for their fun and your entertainment and learn to support them when they are down -- he looked at her as if she were crazy and replied -- he's not your son what do you care. .

So yes -- Richlands does have a big crowd -- does it decrease when the season isn't going as good -- for sure. So does every other team in the area. You have a few faithful that come no matter what -- then you have some that buy the t-shirt and wear it when things are looking good and that team is the going fad [Not that Richlands is a fad -- that a program].

I have spoken to many Bluefield/Graham alumni who generally go to the game, but have expressed to me that they may not go this year -- for a couple reason -- the economy is crazy and the $ you spend at a ballgame could be spent somewhere else [i actually love all high school sports so I feel that I get my $ worth], and many have expressed the lack of interest due to the talk that Graham isn't going to be that good this year.

As for Larry Hypes - he truely loves high school sports and when he taught at Graham which was somewhere around 3-5 years he went to Graham games not Tazewell. I feel confident in saying that Mr Hypes was not trying to make negative statements towards the tradition of the BEAVER - GRAHAM game - but simple stating the facts that if you look at numbers the attendance maybe down this year == and I gather from the post actually was down last year. I however, if I were a faithful of this tradition, would make every attempt to prove him wrong this year and make plans with everyone I knew to attend this game. Mr. Hypes would love to be proven wrong on this point - he likes big crowds at all high school sporting events - so Beaver fans and Graham fans make plans, tail gate, pack the stadium beyond it's maximum seating and support your teams.

I can't complain to much because the way I see it come next weekend high school sports especially high school football begins in our area -- I've been looking forward to it since the first Saturday of last December.

I have heard him on the radio many of times, when Tazewell wasn't even playing... The guy wasn't saying it not the biggest turnout still, all he was saying is it's not what it use to be the way the population has changed!!!!

If he's a journalist, he needs to check his facts first. Quit trying to gloss over what he said, it's in print.

A-Men to that....

These people from other schools have NO IDEA what the Graham-Bluefield game is all about. It is a HUGE tradition. It gets NATIONAL attention. It is consistently one of the top 10 rivalries in the entire COUNTRY!! For somebody to make an ignorant statement like that pisses a lot of people off and rightfully so. It's North vs. South. It's VA vs. WV. It's Bluefield vs. Bluefield. It's brother vs. brother (literally, in past years). What he heck do you expect? Of course we're angry over a statement like that!!!

I have attended this game EVERY year for 35 years...since I was 5 years old...can anybody say that about a Richlands vs. Tazewell game? I don't think so!!!

I understand the tradition and rivalry and thats great. I agree that it is one of the best around, but you said it yourself its nationally recognized. Therefore, everyone quit blowing this up from 1 small little article. Everyone already knows how big this game is and by someone reading that its not going to sway there thinking in any way.

I have attended this game EVERY year for 35 years...since I was 5 years old...can anybody say that about a Richlands vs. Tazewell game? I don't think so!!!

Quite a few people actually.

Not really sure what your angle is here. Are you for Richlands or not

Nado :confused: ......re-read his posts....never question his Richlands loyalty!!!! Time to back away from the keyboard.....you've got messageboard overload.

Quite a few people actually.

I agree completely -- I have missed only 1 Richlands - Tazewell game since 1975 -- and I was in the hospital listening to it -- so it's not like I just didn't go.

I would imagine there are alot of people who have not missed a Tazewell - Richlands game since they were in late elementary school or middle school -- It never really matters how either team's season has been - these two really pack a stadium year after year -- Albeit it may not receive 'national recognition' -- it receives the recognition of those that matter year after year -- the players and the fans.

A-Men to that....

Yeah I would say there are quit a few that could! And I believe its about time to just suck it up and get the hell over this thing....

I agree completely -- I have missed only 1 Richlands - Tazewell game since 1975 -- and I was in the hospital listening to it -- so it's not like I just didn't go.

I would imagine there are alot of people who have not missed a Tazewell - Richlands game since they were in late elementary school or middle school -- It never really matters how either team's season has been - these two really pack a stadium year after year -- Albeit it may not receive 'national recognition' -- it receives the recognition of those that matter year after year -- the players and the fans.

I agree with you 8-ball, this game is just a big as the BvsG game, it may not bring in the 10,000 plus every year, but you better damn believe the stadium will be rocking when they are playing.... So us other teams in SWVA no what tradition is, you took something so little and blew it up for nothing!

Looks like we were right. Larry Hypes, is a homer journalist.

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_238230326.html

I don't know Larry personally but give him a break. He's from Tazewell, does the radio broadcasts for Tazewell, and if I'm not mistaken he teaches at Tazewell High School. So you're offended because he said the crowds are less than they used to be... Who cares? At $25 per article verifying attendance figures might not be a priority. If you crucify every writer who misses a couple of facts, or says something to make a few people upset you will run out of writers real quick. It's not exactly an occupation that people are lining up for these days as it is. Question - How many of you actually paid for the newspaper that upset you so much? Even better, how many who read it for free online actually did so at the BDT website instead of the copy and paste version on this site? They use those clicks to set ad rates you know, and ad revenue is how writers get paid.

I don't know Larry personally but give him a break. He's from Tazewell, does the radio broadcasts for Tazewell, and if I'm not mistaken he teaches at Tazewell High School. So you're offended because he said the crowds are less than they used to be... Who cares? At $25 per article verifying attendance figures might not be a priority. If you crucify every writer who misses a couple of facts, or says something to make a few people upset you will run out of writers real quick. It's not exactly an occupation that people are lining up for these days as it is. Question - How many of you actually paid for the newspaper that upset you so much? Even better, how many who read it for free online actually did so at the BDT website instead of the copy and paste version on this site? They use those clicks to set ad rates you know, and ad revenue is how writers get paid.

First of all Larry is from Abbs Valley. Second, it does not matter if he makes 25.00 or 2500.00, he needs to get the facts straight before he has something printed in the paper or anywhere else.

Guest JJBrickface

Wow, some of you guys have no reading comprehension skills whatsoever.

Why is it so hard to understand that Mr. Hypes was WRONG when he said that the stadium only fills up 2/3 of the way these days? He was flat out wrong and many of us just want to see some responsible journalism in our local newspaper.

Out of all the threads on here everyone keeps blowing this one out of the water and its pointless, who cares, it does not affect my/your life in anyway. Cant everyone just get back to talking football and forget about this childish crap.

Out of all the threads on here everyone keeps blowing this one out of the water and its pointless, who cares, it does not affect my/your life in anyway. Cant everyone just get back to talking football and forget about this childish crap.

Go to another thread and do not read this one, if it bothers you that much.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Wow, some of you guys have no reading comprehension skills whatsoever.

Why is it so hard to understand that Mr. Hypes was WRONG when he said that the stadium only fills up 2/3 of the way these days? He was flat out wrong and many of us just want to see some responsible journalism in our local newspaper.

Thank you.