Gate City is the real deal

Guest lookoutmountain

It amazes me that there are a handful of idiots out of 5,000 that love to cause trouble, yet everyone wants to throw the entire fanbase in the same classification as them. Look in your own backyard, and you'll find trash also. It happens everywhere folks. Whether you want to admit it or not.

I attend games all over the state because of my work, I love to go to different games in different districts. With that said, if anywhere other than Gate City fans were on the visitor side cussing players and acting like the Gate City visitor side fence dwellers......they'd be toted off to the local jail or on a gurney.

Most of us in this part of the state have learned that it just a Gate City thing.

Anyhow, I agree that it only takes a few bad apples to ruin the whole barrel and 90% of Gate City fans are great civilized fans. But it is up to the good Gate City fans to get the rotten apples out of the barrel because as often as it happens, it would appear you like a few rotten apples in your barrel.

People that complain about this are not "crybabies", just concerned about the example being set for future generations of redneck cussing fence dwellers. This conduct is not tolerated at any other place I've attended games.

The majority of Gate City fans are just great football fans, time to cull out the bad apples.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It amazes me that there are a handful of idiots out of 5,000 that love to cause trouble, yet everyone wants to throw the entire fanbase in the same classification as them. Look in your own backyard, and you'll find trash also. It happens everywhere folks. Whether you want to admit it or not.

this is correct...i think at GC it is mostly because you have the home fans on both sides and it puts you in a situation where you have more of an interaction with the away team than in most places....or maybe not? just a guess...still one of my favorite places to watch a game though...great field and stadium.

Since we really quit talking about the game a long time ago, i will hit on the fans being on the visitors side. Lebanon was really the first team to start complaining about that a few years back. The fact of the matter is that most teams just don't bring anyone to the games. Richlands brings a few, but Tazwell and Lebanon brought more than most. If there were no home fans allowed it would look very funny most games wioth 50 people on the other side.

I cannot speak for the way those folks act, for with the exception of my high school years ( a looong time ago) I have sat on the GC side in the reserved seats, so i can't hear all the (alleged) cursing and so forth. If it is happening then it is pathetic, and that is a totally different issue than where people sit.

The thing most of the folks complaining have failed to say is the GC visitors side still leaves more room for your fans than 90% of the dinky stadiums in all of swva. The SWD for the most part does fairly well, but the majority do not. A lot of GC fans (older folks)won't go to away games because they don't want to stand the entire game trying to see over players and the other folks there. Let's not even mention the visitors seats at Wise...8 rows max.

If all the junk folks are saying is happening at the visitors fence line is true then it is pathetic and should be stopped. I just think it is a totally different issue than having non-reserved seats on the visitors side. Don't think for a minute GC has cornered the market on redneck fans. I have personally been threatened and cursed at practically every school in SWVA (of course it could be my sparkling personality) once by a policeman as i was leaving a game and went over to hug a lady i used to work with. He said we don't do that kind of stuff here in $%%$$%^? i said," i really feel sorry for your women then!" (see i can't keep my mouth shut either) he grabbed me by the neck and rather forceably told me i had to leave his town. Not sure but i think he was mad we beat his team.

I have never cursed anyone at a game and have never heard it in the section i sit in. I have never seen the wind, but i know it is there because i can feel it :)

My only problem with Gate City fans is the people on the track... If you ever want to know why most (all?) schools rope that area off just go to Gate City and watch them. Every school might have rude and obnoxious fans but GC is the only one I'm aware of that allows them to stand 10 feet behind the visiting bench and do/say whatever they want. Not to mention what the cheerleaders have to put up with.

I like Gate City, and I like the atmosphere, but the track needs to be roped off.

I can definately agree with that, if adults are harassing the cheerleaders it should be stopped.

Good grief i cannot imagine this Friday with S.South bringing 4,000 fans or so. I'm just glad i have reserved seats :) waaay over on the GC side away from all those bad fans.

There are county deputies all over the place, and there have been many times they've stood behind the teams bench so that none of that stuff would happen. I'd love to see the "bad apples" weeded out. I'm just not sure how it can be done.

There are county deputies all over the place, and there have been many times they've stood behind the teams bench so that none of that stuff would happen. I'd love to see the "bad apples" weeded out. I'm just not sure how it can be done.

Well those officers were not there this past Friday, Our own fans had to go down and stop the people from running over top of the cheerleaders... Only time I seen the PO-PO on that side is when one of the GC fans went crying to one when he was about to lose some teeth!

Well something needs to happen. I can't recall how many times i would walk to the sideline after gettin off the field and having to hear tazewell f'n sucks and little kids spittin at the players while there standing trying to watch the game. It's ridiculous.

I agree something definitely needs to be done. But personally I like the fact that the track is not roped off because it provides more of an atmosphere in my opinion in super crowded games. For example this coming Friday against Sullivan South, it will be 6-8 deep all around the fence and that provides a great atmosphere of cheering fans. Being on the field or even in the stands during games that are that crowded is amazing! But something definitely needs to be done about the bad apples, I agree, but those are anywhere you go.

Go Big Blue!!!

After reading this entire thread i have to agree with the previous posts from those who have pointed out that Gate City has some "bad apples". But everywhere i've been to a game in SWVA and Eastern Tennessee has those. I love attending games at Gate City, in my opinion it's the absolute best place to watch a game in the region. I've been there dozens of times over the years and never had a bad experience personally with anyone there.

Any adult who harrasses the kids at a high school game, wheather it's the players, cheerleaders or members of the band is nothing but a loser, no matter what town they are from.

Just my two cents...

At one time they were on the track till people were running over them, then they went to the sidelines and stood the rest of the game because they didn't have enough room to cheer!

I have been going to Gate City games for many years and all the visitors cheerleaders have stood on the side line and cheered. There is not enough room on the track for them to be on it. But people should not be messing with them at all but I know for a fact that they did not just stand on the sideline after they went out there they cheered the rest of the game

there is a lot more room on the track than the field...and when they went out on the field i told my friend with me "that's not safe"...i wouldn't want my kid out there that close to the action and looking towards the stands...there is not a fence between the cheerleaders and the field at that point and a 300 - 600 pounds of a plie of Bulldogs and Blue Devils going full speed could seriously hurt one of those kids...not a good idea in my mind to have them on the field.

and why do you need people walking around the track during a game anyway? just rope it off and keep people out of that area for a few hours each week...no need for anyone to be there.

Actually, he's right. The cheerleaders have always stood on the sidelines and there has never been an injury. You're telling me it's safer to cheer on asphalt, with people walking by? You've got to be kidding me. If you rope off the track, how the heck are you going to get to the stands? I'm sorry our facilities don't meet your standards.

Lance you've apparently got something personal against the people of Gate City. You've made two smart comments lumping everyone from GC into the same pile. You're honestly going to tell me that Grundy, or Tazewell, or Richlands or anyone else in the SWD doesn't have "bad apples"? Can't beat them on the field, so we'll whip them on a message board.

I did not go to GCHS, but I did go to the game Friday. Great atmosphere in Gate City. Kinda like a collegiate atmosphere. Definitely THE home field advantage in SWVA. GC fans are proud and passionate about their team. All teams, whether it be high school, college, or pro have bad apple fans, except Tenn of course LOL. South will be a big test, if GC beats them look out.

Actually, he's right. The cheerleaders have always stood on the sidelines and there has never been an injury. You're telling me it's safer to cheer on asphalt, with people walking by? You've got to be kidding me. If you rope off the track, how the heck are you going to get to the stands? I'm sorry our facilities don't meet your standards.

Lance you've apparently got something personal against the people of Gate City. You've made two smart comments lumping everyone from GC into the same pile. You're honestly going to tell me that Grundy, or Tazewell, or Richlands or anyone else in the SWD doesn't have "bad apples"? Can't beat them on the field, so we'll whip them on a message board.

you obviously didn't read what I've said here at all...I said there are a few that make the rest look bad...and if you rope off an area for the cheerleaders you can still access the stands...and no, putting the cheerleaders on the field is not safe...sorry...I dont know if anyone has been hurt before or not, that part really doesnt change the fact that it's not a good idea...like i said, i guess it has to happen before someone figures out it's not the best place....if you can't look at it for yourself and see it's not the best place for them to be at then you think what you want...my opinion it's not safe.

Also, as I've said before...ALL places have these types of fans that like to make the rest look bad...Carroll County and GC are the worst I've seen...Hurley used to be the top of the list for this sort of thing, but I have not been to a game at Hurley in years so I don't know if it's changed over there or not. I think it's more visible at GC because you have home fans on the visitor side...at most places the home fans have to walk around the track to get to the visitors, at GC they sit next to you.

Look out for what? Bluefield will beat GC!

The Bluefield /GC game I think will be a great game and another great atmosphere once again. It will be close either way. Also about GC fans sitting on visitors side, if the away team would get there a little earlier then they could take some of those seats away but there is very very rarely enough visiting fans to even fill up the half that is already open.

The Bluefield /GC game I think will be a great game and another great atmosphere once again. It will be close either way. Also about GC fans sitting on visitors side, if the away team would get there a little earlier then they could take some of those seats away but there is very very rarely enough visiting fans to even fill up the half that is already open.

We filled it up pretty well the other night and where even sitting in the middle of the GC fans on that side as well!