Is there anyway............?

LegendatLegion

That any post on here by someone from GC, for GC, or about GC doesn't turn into a diatribe over the visitor's seating or the fans on the track? Seriously folks how old are the folks posting on here. I made a post in jest about the whole school board rumor myself, and yes it was a joke. (Sorry if I offended anyone, if it did, you are looking at things wrong yourself) It is amusing and sad even, to think that things have gotten to this point. That goes for several folks from GC too.

The name calling and such on here by some really makes everyone look stupid. I have been and probably always will be a big GC fan (no kidding, huh?) but i am not responsible for every blathering idiot on the board or in the stands. I said, at the time, that if a cheerleader was accosted, then go to the authorities and let them handle it. It is ridiculous, and uncalled for. As for the complaining about the GC fans sitting on the other side, that's probably not going to change. It is first come/general admission seating. Always has been, probably always will.

The design of the stadium doesn't allow for any other way than walking on the track to get to that other side. Same thing on the home side. Every game i see folks (mostly kids) from the opposing teams walking/running on the GC side yelling things at the GC fans, etc...

I know it would be great (from an opposing fans viewpoint) if you could show up at game time and have any seat you want, but life doesn't work that way.

I do personally take umbrage to/from the folks on here that want to act like every person from GC or in the stands is responsible for everyone else there. I'm not going to apologize for something i haven't done. I do promise this will be the last thing i post on this topic. I enjoy the ability to come on here and check scores and speculate about who will win, etc. I don't call kids out, etc. G-man, i love the site and will continue to post on things, or ask questions about things that interest me.

I have been to HS games in a lot of venues, and all have some quirks. Narrow sidelines, blocked views, kids playing football behind the bleachers or behind the end zone. There just aren't that many "perfect" locations, but isn't that part of home field advantage.

That any post on here by someone from GC, for GC, or about GC doesn't turn into a diatribe over the visitor's seating or the fans on the track? Seriously folks how old are the folks posting on here. I made a post in jest about the whole school board rumor myself, and yes it was a joke. (Sorry if I offended anyone, if it did, you are looking at things wrong yourself) It is amusing and sad even, to think that things have gotten to this point. That goes for several folks from GC too.

The name calling and such on here by some really makes everyone look stupid. I have been and probably always will be a big GC fan (no kidding, huh?) but i am not responsible for every blathering idiot on the board or in the stands. I said, at the time, that if a cheerleader was accosted, then go to the authorities and let them handle it. It is ridiculous, and uncalled for. As for the complaining about the GC fans sitting on the other side, that's probably not going to change. It is first come/general admission seating. Always has been, probably always will.

The design of the stadium doesn't allow for any other way than walking on the track to get to that other side. Same thing on the home side. Every game i see folks (mostly kids) from the opposing teams walking/running on the GC side yelling things at the GC fans, etc...

I know it would be great (from an opposing fans viewpoint) if you could show up at game time and have any seat you want, but life doesn't work that way.

I do personally take umbrage to/from the folks on here that want to act like every person from GC or in the stands is responsible for everyone else there. I'm not going to apologize for something i haven't done. I do promise this will be the last thing i post on this topic. I enjoy the ability to come on here and check scores and speculate about who will win, etc. I don't call kids out, etc. G-man, i love the site and will continue to post on things, or ask questions about things that interest me.

well...you brought it up this time lol.

Couple of things, First, I believe it's the responsibility of Gate City HS to provide everyone with a safe environment to watch the game. By safe I mean safe from verbal abuse as well as physical.

The people on the track behind the visiting bench aren't standing there because they got there late and couldn't find a seat. They are there to verbally abuse anyone and everyone associated with the visiting team. I've been there, I've seen it, I've had it directed at me.

Third, I've only sat in the visiting stands once, so I could be wrong, but I seem to remember a walkway at the foot of the stands... Why can't people get from one side to the other that way?

Fourth, Cheerleaders are not safe on the sidelines. It doesn't matter if no one has been hurt in 70 years. If you can't keep your eyes on the play at all times you don't belong on the sidelines. Cheerleaders can't cheer and face the field at the same time. They have to face the crowd and that puts them at risk of being hit. There isn't a lot of sideline space at GC to begin with which makes it that much hard for 12 cheerleaders to get out of the way even if they do see it coming.

David Crigger broke his femur at Abingdon 3 years ago. He's a 200 lb man who WAS watching the game. Now imagine a 100 lb girl getting hit in the back with the same impact that broke Crigger's leg.

As I've said many times, I like Gate City. I like the rivalry. I know that you and the other posters from Gate City have nothing to do with any of this. But Gate City HS does and they need to step up and fix the problem.

Edited by BigD4VT

We've had our share of trouble and verbal abuse at Richlands over the years. I wish OleTob was still alive to tell you his experience the last time he got to visit there. There are bad apples in every bunch. Everyone needs to look at their own backyard before you talk about someone else's. I don't agree with them running their mouths, heck it's the only time they get out of the house apparently. I sit on the top row so I can see the whole field. I don't agree with any of it, but it's not just at Gate City.

I know GC girls cheer on the field at every game not just at GC. I see alot of college games they all cheer on the field. Where do the girls cheer at other schools? I noticed Lebanon cheer on the field. I know what the complaining is all about. The real reason Does anyone else? It has nothing to do with cheerleading or being on the track. I would say the real reason will be revealed but by who?

I know GC girls cheer on the field at every game not just at GC. I see alot of college games they all cheer on the field. Where do the girls cheer at other schools? I noticed Lebanon cheer on the field. I know what the complaining is all about. The real reason Does anyone else? It has nothing to do with cheerleading or being on the track. I would say the real reason will be revealed but by who?

Cheering 5 yards from the sidelines /= cheering 30 yards from the sidelines.

There's the disconnect.

It wasn't the fact that they were or weren't cheering on the track or field, but while in the middle of the cheers they were doing, people just walked by them pushing them out of the way, I know for a fact I was sitting there about 3 rows back from them... Tazewell cheerleaders cheer on the track as does the visiting team, but there is plenty of room for them to get out of the way when trouble approaches. The fact was that people had no respect for them, as you would want for own son or daughter if they were put in the same situation.

my whole point was that i just dont think there is enough room from the playing field to the area where the cheerleaders were standing on the field...by the time they space out and get in formation or whatever in my opinion they were to close to the field for what I consider to be safe..but that's just my opinion...i know if i had a 5 ft 95 pound daughter that was a cheerleader I would not feel safe with my kid in that situation...but, maybe i'm getting older and since I have kids of my own I might just be seeing it from a bit of a different perspective...if I was in high school I probably wouldn't understand it either.

Just my 1 cent worth. The verbal abuse that is produced along that fence on the vistor side is the worst I have ever heard at a sporting event. This is how I felt about it before the Taz problem. It was a problem last year!!!!!!

Couple of things, First, I believe it's the responsibility of Gate City HS to provide everyone with a safe environment to watch the game. By safe I mean safe from verbal abuse as well as physical.

The people on the track behind the visiting bench aren't standing there because they got there late and couldn't find a seat. They are there to verbally abuse anyone and everyone associated with the visiting team. I've been there, I've seen it, I've had it directed at me.

Third, I've only sat in the visiting stands once, so I could be wrong, but I seem to remember a walkway at the foot of the stands... Why can't people get from one side to the other that way?

Fourth, Cheerleaders are not safe on the sidelines. It doesn't matter if no one has been hurt in 70 years. If you can't keep your eyes on the play at all times you don't belong on the sidelines. Cheerleaders can't cheer and face the field at the same time. They have to face the crowd and that puts them at risk of being hit. There isn't a lot of sideline space at GC to begin with which makes it that much hard for 12 cheerleaders to get out of the way even if they do see it coming.

David Crigger broke his femur at Abingdon 3 years ago. He's a 200 lb man who WAS watching the game. Now imagine a 100 lb girl getting hit in the back with the same impact that broke Crigger's leg.

As I've said many times, I like Gate City. I like the rivalry. I know that you and the other posters from Gate City have nothing to do with any of this. But Gate City HS does and they need to step up and fix the problem.

Again I say maybe we should take the coaches and players off of the sidelines too since they are not always looking at the field. Or maybe we should build a big "safety box" around them. (sarcasm if you didn't notice). Also, there is not a walkway at the foot of the stands, only room enough for people to sit with their feet there and that doesn't go all the way across because of the old locker room openings underneath the stands

Edited by vthokies331

the coaches mostly over 200 pounds and grown 6 ft tall men involved in the game and watching what happens with a reason to be there is one thing...a group of 10 or 12 girls that weigh 80 to 100 pounds and are 5 foot nothing that are facing the crowd and not the game going full speed 5 to 10 feet away...is another...if you can't figure it out then there is no point to really try to explain it.

Again I say maybe we should take the coaches and players off of the sidelines too since they are not always looking at the field. Or maybe we should build a big "safety box" around them. (sarcasm if you didn't notice). Also, there is not a walkway at the foot of the stands, only room enough for people to sit with their feet there and that doesn't go all the way across because of the old locker room openings underneath the stands

Seats are raised above the walkway!

Leave the girls at home and shut the hell up about it! If you dont like what goes on at Gate City then stay at home! I am sick and tired of all the whining! Talk about football on here not about how a school does things at their home games. Gate City High School has a phone number. How many that cry on here about the setup at GC has actually called the high school about it? I bet no one here has! Instead they want to cry about it to the GC fans that have no control over it! Gate City High Schools number is (276) 386-7522. Before you attend your next game at Gate City call the Sheriffs office so they can put an officer over on the visitors side where the problems are. Their number is (276)386-9111. Dont cry to the GC fans on a message board! We can not help you! I would like just once to come on here and see a thread about Gate City that is not hijacked by someone crying about what some stupid inbred fan that gets out 5 sometimes 7 games a year did at a Gate City game! We the GC fans can not help you! Call those numbers and let them know. Please!

I have been waiting on someone to give the real reason why all the complaining regarding cheerleaders, people walking the track and GC fans on the visitor side. Well here is the real downlow. Tazewell has been running their mouth on this board on how good they where ( no dis-respect intended ). They come to the Legion Field and got hammered. GC did sub in for 2 series but after Tazewell decided they were not ready to give in and put their subs in, GC decided to put their starters back in and with that discussion cause GC to put 52 points on the board. It all boils down to Tazewell was embarrassed and with how they were talking about being world beaters after the GW game or at least on this board.

I went on Coach T. com after the South ball game & they had nothing but good things to say about GC’s facility and atmosphere and fans. The fans were crammed 6 rows deep on the track – all the way around. (Where do you think their cheerleader were? The field). They did not complain because they smacked GC in the mouth. They had no reason to complain.

I am sure they are some stupid GC fans that seem to come out of the woodwork and rubbed salt in the already wounded sprit of the Tazewell fans or cheerleaders, I don’t know I was on the top row so I did not see it. Every school has idiots like that, do I condone it – no. I am former GC player from the late 80’s & we were taught to win with class and lose with class as a team. Tazewell – I am sure has a good team and GC caught them on a night that everything worked for GC and it just streamed rolled all night.

As to the cheerleaders being on the field well that is the way it as always been & at most schools it is no different. So you can put your big girl panties on and deal with it or don’t come. The GC fans that stand & watch the game from the fence well that is their choice most of the time. We few GC fans on this board have no control over it. Complaining on this board is BS ---If someone says something you feel is out of line then man up and confront that person and let them know how you feel. If you don’t feel man enough to confront them speak to one of dozen police officers surrounding Legion Field. This is a sports message board ---lets talk football. BTW the game was over 3 weeks ago. GC has Appy this week. Moving on!!!!!!!

again...not sure why the GC guys are so defensive about this?

...and the Tazewell game was a 2 td game until you guys ran the score up with your starters on Tazewells backups in the last 2 min...LOL...or is #31 not a starter now?

I think you are more upset about people not saying it was a "blowout" than anything.

Played at gate city a few years ago in a region champ game im sure lance you were there i think it was 2000. other than prestonsburg ky. some of the "louder" fans i think in 4 yrs i played aginst. NOt saying its a bad thing me personaly i like a "bad" place for an away team to play, loved the haters!!! but i can remember when we where warming up they had to get the police to come stand behind us because me,hipps,dales,stacy and a few others were getting harrased from fans that were too close and coaches felt for our saftey. When your in high school thats a bad thing for kids. dont get me wrong we got waxed but still not so sure thats the way a school wants to be remembered.

again...not sure why the GC guys are so defensive about this?

...and the Tazewell game was a 2 td game until you guys ran the score up with your starters on Tazewells backups in the last 2 min...LOL...or is #31 not a starter now?

I think you are more upset about people not saying it was a "blowout" than anything.

500 yards for GC to less than 200 for Tazewell. It was a blowout, no other way around it. The score was actually closer than what the game was. GC manhandled Tazewell in every phase of the game, wasnt even close.

500 yards for GC to less than 200 for Tazewell. It was a blowout, no other way around it. The score was actually closer than what the game was. GC manhandled Tazewell in every phase of the game, wasnt even close.

case in point...and you are wrong...lol.

I've been to many a game at Legion both as a player and as a spectator, and the only problem I've ever seen is once or twice a GC student and a fan from another team will argue and get ugly...but it went both ways. Besides that, nothing bad. Certainly nothing to complain endlessly about.

And trust me, that's coming from a Powell Valley fan....lol. If ANYBODY would complain about opposing fans it would be GC/PV.

And Lance personally, it would tickle me to death if you never set foot in Gate City again. You must've been on some good drugs when you visited.

And trust me, that's coming from a Powell Valley fan....lol. If ANYBODY would complain about opposing fans it would be GC/PV.

Strange thing it is...but if you take into account how long the PV and GC rivalry has been going on, there has always been a sense of civility amongst the fans of both teams. Guess it's just that when you go to a PV-GC game, you know that regardless of record or implications that both teams are gonna knock the $hiz outta each other for 48 mins, let the chips fall where they may, and then shake hands and go home...

To put it into perspective for me, when Gate City went up 42-7 very late in the third quarter - if Mountain hadn't returned the following kickoff all the way back then the game would have had a continual running clock per VHSL rules. That in itself tells me that it was a game dominated by one team. Sorry to hurt any feelings, but that's how I seen it as well as some out of town friends of mine that were at the game as well.