Serious Question about Abingdon Football

Jason

Abingdon has one Region IV Title...1979.

Abingdon's Playoff History:

1978...lost to Narrows 20-13

1979...def. Blacksburg 21-6; def. Narrows 21-0; lost to Jefferson Forest 10-7

1980...def. Narrows 27-7; lost to Giles 21-14

1983...lost to Giles 27-0

1984...def. Radford 25-0; lost to Blacksburg 30-14

1985...lost to Radford 14-3

1986...lost to Radford 21-0

1988...lost to Grundy 23-0

1992...def. Blacksburg 28-6; lost to Richlands 28-7

1995...lost to Gate City 38-0

1996...def. Lee 38-31; lost to Grundy 42-8

2003...lost to Carroll Co. 27-21 OT

Abingdon has one Region IV Title...1979.

Abingdon's Playoff History:

1978...lost to Narrows 20-13

1979...def. Blacksburg 21-6; def. Narrows 21-0; lost to Jefferson Forest 10-7

1980...def. Narrows 27-7; lost to Giles 21-14

1983...lost to Giles 27-0

1984...def. Radford 25-0; lost to Blacksburg 30-14

1985...lost to Radford 14-3

1986...lost to Radford 21-0

1988...lost to Grundy 23-0

1992...def. Blacksburg 28-6; lost to Richlands 28-7

1995...lost to Gate City 38-0

1996...def. Lee 38-31; lost to Grundy 42-8

2003...lost to Carroll Co. 27-21 OT

Looks like they were a little competitive in the 80s.

Looks like they were a little competitive in the 80s.

Sure...if you consider getting shutout in the first round in 3 out of 6 playoff appearance, then heck yeah they were competitive! Not to mention they only scored 3 points in their other lose. But hey, they did win two playoff games in the decade! That's just as good as a championship in A-Town!

Sure...if you consider getting shutout in the first round in 3 out of 6 playoff appearance, then heck yeah they were competitive! Not to mention they only scored 3 points in their other lose. But hey, they did win two playoff games in the decade! That's just as good as a championship in A-Town!

tough crowd around here.

Abingdon won the Highlands District in 92 - I wouldn't call Gate City or Lee (during that time) "weak as pee"....the others maybe, but not those two. The losses for AHS that year were at Lebanon and at Tazewell in regular season, and at Richlands in region finals. For the more recent appearances, they were totally outmatched at Gate City in 95 and at Grundy in 96; they should have beaten CC in 03, but they didn't.....they were competitive in the 70s and 80s - not the same story since

tough crowd around here.

Looks that way. From 70 to 84 or 85(i think) was before divisions and was pretty hard to make the playoffs then. From 78 to 85 they missed the playoffs twice when a lot of 9-1 teams were sitting at the house. That to me shows they were atleast competitive through their seasons to make the playoffs. GMAN or someone in the know please tell me what Abingdons record was each of the years 78 through 85 or whenever divisions started?

Also I did not make this post to belittle the Falcons are start anything. After seeing all the other posts on here I was just curious about their football history.

Abingdon won the Highlands District in 92 - I wouldn't call Gate City or Lee (during that time) "weak as pee"....the others maybe, but not those two. The losses for AHS that year were at Lebanon and at Tazewell in regular season, and at Richlands in region finals. For the more recent appearances, they were totally outmatched at Gate City in 95 and at Grundy in 96; they should have beaten CC in 03, but they didn't.....they were competitive in the 70s and 80s - not the same story since

All of the 70s and part of the 80s a team had to be really good to make the playoffs. Not saying that GC and Lee was weak then but most years the Highlands had one good team that would beat the rest handily though there were some competitive years also.

The Highlands was a bad situation because you have Va High, Abingdon, and Marion and you could win 2 games and make the playoffs...another reason people give abingdon down the road around here...they couldn't even do that with much luck.

I know Va High made it one year with a 3-7 record and there were 9-1 and 8-2 teams in the other districts that didn't make it to the playoffs...flawed system, they should have just made those teams in the Highlands join the SWD and be done with it so you would not have had that situation...3 team district is useless.

The Highlands was a bad situation because you have Va High, Abingdon, and Marion and you could win 2 games and make the playoffs...another reason people give abingdon down the road around here...they couldn't even do that with much luck.

I know Va High made it one year with a 3-7 record and there were 9-1 and 8-2 teams in the other districts that didn't make it to the playoffs...flawed system, they should have just made those teams in the Highlands join the SWD and be done with it so you would not have had that situation...3 team district is useless.

I thought Lee was in it too. Highlands was done away with after Lee dropped to D2 I thought?

A district similar to the Highlands is the BDD. I would love to see Honaker lose every game but their district games to show just how flawed the automatic bids for district champs are. I have nothing against the BDD or their schools its just I think there should be a better format than the one in play now.

A district similar to the Highlands is the BDD. I would love to see Honaker lose every game but their district games to show just how flawed the automatic bids for district champs are. I have nothing against the BDD or their schools its just I think there should be a better format than the one in play now.

thats sort of what i was getting at...i'm not 100% sold on a straight points system either...not sure what the best format would be but it's hard to see a 9-1 team not go to the playoffs and a 3-7 team make it...(just an example)

Abingdon was very good in the 80's. The SWD was tough and deep in those days and you just about had to be 10-0 to make the playoffs. Also there were no divisions so a playoff match up with a school twice as big was common.

One of the most memorable games I ever saw was a 15-15 tie between Richlands and Abingdon in 1985. Abingdon finished the regular season 9-0-1 and I think Richlands was 5-4-1 with all of their losses coming in close games. There was a fine line between first and last back then but it made for some great games.

I thought Lee was in it too. Highlands was done away with after Lee dropped to D2 I thought?

The Highlands had several "line-ups". The original was Marion, Patrick Henry, Abingdon, John Battle, Virginia, and Gate City. Later Patrick Henry and John Battle dropped to Class A and Lee was added. Lebanon also bounced in and out of the Highlands when they were moving back and forth between Class A and AA. Eventually, with Lebanon dropping and staying in Class A and Virginia and Gate City dropping to A, as well as the VHSL allowing Lee to play in A, the Highlands came to an end and Abingdon and Marion rejoined the SWD.

During the last year of the SWD before the "break-up", there were 11 teams in the district: Graham, Tazewell, Richlands, Grundy, Lebanon, Marion, Patrick Henry, Abingdon, John Battle, Virginia, and Gate City. For football you played a nine-game district schedule and you would go two seasons without playing one district school...that left one date for a non-district game.

There were ten teams in the SWD from 1970-79, the teams I have listed above less Lebanon. Lebanon joined the SWD in 1980. Graham did not play Patrick Henry in '80 & '81, V-High in '82 & '83, Abingdon in '84 & '85. The split occured in 1986.

that could very well happen haysi has not really developed at this point as I thought they would (but the season is still young) the tigers could be 5-5 or worse (god I hope not) and make it in

During the last year of the SWD before the "break-up", there were 11 teams in the district: Graham, Tazewell, Richlands, Grundy, Lebanon, Marion, Patrick Henry, Abingdon, John Battle, Virginia, and Gate City.

That would be a great district to have again...to bad it will never happen...but man what a schedule that would be to follow every year.

Abingdon was very good in the 80's. The SWD was tough and deep in those days and you just about had to be 10-0 to make the playoffs. Also there were no divisions so a playoff match up with a school twice as big was common.

One of the most memorable games I ever saw was a 15-15 tie between Richlands and Abingdon in 1985. Abingdon finished the regular season 9-0-1 and I think Richlands was 5-4-1 with all of their losses coming in close games. There was a fine line between first and last back then but it made for some great games.

Was that in 85 or 86...i know GC beat Abingdon 24-0 in 85.

Making the playoffs and being competitive in those days was a bit more difficult. In '83-'84 Richlands went 7-3 with loses to Tazewell and Abingdon in the SWD and Bluefield out of district. We sat home that year. I can remember sometime in the early 2000's a 5-5 Richlands team making the playoffs.