even richlands fans miss this....

billyblue

yes the johnson kids have made a tremendous impact on this team....yes the coaching is on top of their game....what nobody talks about is the unselfishness of key richlands players to accept the role given to them...you see it year after year...most notably, this year bradley strong and jack vance would have been the offensive stars but they have accepted their roles to make the TEAM better....last year 2 lineman switched sides of the ball and had a huge impact in turning a floundering team around....and the year before that...and the year before that....i could go on and on...sure it's great utilization of players....but the disregard of individual glory and post season honors by key players is a major factor in why richlands is on the run they are on

Mance does his job extremely well. Never met the man but I can see and hear (from players) how he gets his kids motivated. He's steps beyond any coach in the swd and I admire the lack of entitlement those kids have had this year.

yes the johnson kids have made a tremendous impact on this team....yes the coaching is on top of their game....what nobody talks about is the unselfishness of key richlands players to accept the role given to them...you see it year after year...most notably, this year bradley strong and jack vance would have been the offensive stars but they have accepted their roles to make the TEAM better....last year 2 lineman switched sides of the ball and had a huge impact in turning a floundering team around....and the year before that...and the year before that....i could go on and on...sure it's great utilization of players....but the disregard of individual glory and post season honors by key players is a major factor in why richlands is on the run they are on

Good post !

That's why I've said it doesn't matter who plays for Richlands, they will be winners as long as this coaching staff is there. These kids will do whatever it takes to win !

The kids love to play for him and he puts them in situations to win.

Time and time again the coaching staff has made adjustments in the 2nd half to win the ballgame.

Of course it helps to have talent, and this team has that, but also has heart, and that starts at the top !

Congrats Blues on your 6th Southwest district championship !!

We are all proud of you !!

It still boils down to the fact that there are 3 kids not starting that probably came up through the system, pee wee, 8th grade, JV....then when it's their turn to start....they're on the sidelines. Also, there's probably several people in War WV that was lookin forward to this season, only to see it dashed. Of course there are 3 kids playing in War that wouldn't be, probably freshmen that aren't ready. Anyhow, I expect to get ripped for mentioning these things, so, have at it. The kids really don't matter, as long as the W's keep coming, that's really all that matters at all.....isn't it?

It still boils down to the fact that there are 3 kids not starting that probably came up through the system, pee wee, 8th grade, JV....then when it's their turn to start....they're on the sidelines. Also, there's probably several people in War WV that was lookin forward to this season, only to see it dashed. Of course there are 3 kids playing in War that wouldn't be, probably freshmen that aren't ready. Anyhow, I expect to get ripped for mentioning these things, so, have at it. The kids really don't matter, as long as the W's keep coming, that's really all that matters at all.....isn't it?

Would have been a good BHS vs RHS game this year, it a shame they dropped us!!!

And then there are three kids WHO MOVED TO RICHLANDS and EARNED their "turn to start". Is everyone on the Lebanon roster from Lebanon? Do only players who were born there start? We have two kids in JV and 8th grade who are originally from Lebanon. Should they not be given an opportunity to earn a starting spot? We also have players from Georgia, Maine, and Nevada. That's right, the guy who caught the TD pass that you claim was out of bounds is a transfer from Las Vegas, and the one from Georgia is coming into his own as a DB this year. Should these players be benched because it was someone else's "turn to start"?

Simple facts:

Big Creek HS was suppose to close last year.....it didn't happen. It is closing after this season.

The parents knew their kids would be going to a "new" school. They, the parents, decided they wanted their kids to be at a "new" school of their choice.

The parents chose Richlands........and as far as I know, you can still move anyplace you want. By your post, it sounds as if you're implying, the Richlands coaches should have just refused to allow these parents to make that decision...... because it wouldn't be fair to the program, it was a disavantage to the other schools that Richlands plays, and Richlands already has an unfair advantage because of their coaching staff.

I really hate to say this.....but it's beginning to sound like "sour grapes" when the comments come from an opponent. Lebanon has a very good program.....pls. let it go.

Excerpt from BDT:

“We work as a team and that’s what a team does. It comes back and finds a way to win,†Devon Johnson said. “It feels good to win a district championship.â€

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_304005916.html

I think we are well past "sour grapes" and have moved on to "putrid grapes". I tuned in to local coverage just after the game and the first thing I heard was how the refs won the game. Larry the Cable Guy would be in the floor over that one. About a minute later, it was how Richlands recuits like a college. Such foolish carrying on is entertainment of sorts, but it's kinda of like a good joke. Gets old after the 10th telling.

Mance does his job extremely well. Never met the man but I can see and hear (from players) how he gets his kids motivated. He's steps beyond any coach in the swd and I admire the lack of entitlement those kids have had this year.

Well Mance is one of US(Giles boy) so what would you expect? LOL

No Mance is a good coach and a good guy. I always root for Richlands because of him. And his brother-in-law is the head coach at Giles. Wish we could talk him into coming down here to coach but it's not working out too good LOL

About a minute later, it was how Richlands recuits like a college. Such foolish carrying on is entertainment of sorts, but it's kinda of like a good joke. Gets old after the 10th telling.

Its not a joke when its real about that.

if you have a good program people will want to play there...I don't think there is any sort of recruiting going on...but, people will say that just because that is what people do around here.

Just get over it ! We didn't recruit them any more than Tazewell recruited the pocy kids or any other school that gets transfers. ( no I dont begrudge the poky kids going to the bulldogs. That was their right to go anywhere they wanted ).

They wanted to come play for a coach that is a winner, and a town ( and yes I know all towns show support for their team ) that shows a lot of support for their team and some of the best football facilities in Virginia.

If they want to play here, I guess we're suppose to say no........yea right, like you would have told them you didn't want them at your school.

They moved here because it was closer to their dads work and because they wanted to play here........and I hope more kids want to come and play here, and there probably will be ! As long as Richlands is winning the way they are and have the coaching that they have, players will want to play here.

They know you have a chance to win the district and get to the playoffs every year. They also have a good shot at getting a good look from some colleges. Richlands has a lot of kids playing football in college. Maybe not all are playing in D1 but are playing somewhere.

Just get over it ! We didn't recruit them any more than Tazewell recruited the pocy kids or any other school that gets transfers. ( no I dont begrudge the poky kids going to the bulldogs. That was their right to go anywhere they wanted ).

They wanted to come play for a coach that is a winner, and a town ( and yes I know all towns show support for their team ) that shows a lot of support for their team and some of the best football facilities in Virginia.

If they want to play here, I guess we're suppose to say no........yea right, like you would have told them you didn't want them at your school.

They moved here because it was closer to their dads work and because they wanted to play here........and I hope more kids want to come and play here, and there probably will be ! As long as Richlands is winning the way they are and have the coaching that they have, players will want to play here.

They know you have a chance to win the district and get to the playoffs every year. They also have a good shot at getting a good look from some colleges. Richlands has a lot of kids playing football in college. Maybe not all are playing in D1 but are playing somewhere.

The main reason is we didn't wanna play for Doug marrs.

Greg Mance and his staff do an outstanding job at Richlands the kids want to play for him bottom line. Richlands doesn't have to recruit talent to win as evidenced by their showings over the last five years. The Matt Davis Austin Fuller justin McCracken, Caleb jennings kids were all Richlands Boys born and bred no recruitment there. I may be the only one who feels this way but I think even without the johnson kids richlands would've fielded a winning team. Mance and his staff prepare these kids as good as any staff in the state bar none. So until the rest of the district gets dedicated coaches who are willing to give it there all, get used to the TORNADO domination of the SWD and Region 1V div 3. The best example of this in my mind was Tazewell last year I thought they had the best talent in the district but Richlands came out on top not once but twice over the puppy dogs so until drastic changes are made get used to it folks !!!!!!:D:D

You may be right but from personal experience I know Coach Mance recruited me my senoir year even into the season.

You may be right but from personal experience I know Coach Mance recruited me my senoir year even into the season.

If you had given in and moved during the season your senior year, you would not of gotten to play. Everyone knows that.

Greg Mance and his staff do an outstanding job at Richlands the kids want to play for him bottom line. Richlands doesn't have to recruit talent to win as evidenced by their showings over the last five years. The Matt Davis Austin Fuller justin McCracken, Caleb jennings kids were all Richlands Boys born and bred no recruitment there. I may be the only one who feels this way but I think even without the johnson kids richlands would've fielded a winning team. Mance and his staff prepare these kids as good as any staff in the state bar none. So until the rest of the district gets dedicated coaches who are willing to give it there all, get used to the TORNADO domination of the SWD and Region 1V div 3. The best example of this in my mind was Tazewell last year I thought they had the best talent in the district but Richlands came out on top not once but twice over the puppy dogs so until drastic changes are made get used to it folks !!!!!!:D:D

Thats exactly right, he would have a different type of game plan if he didnt have the johnson boys, and with Greg Mance, No matter what talent they have, they will be good.

This is a ridiculous statement. Coach Mance is a good man who doesnt need people coming on here tainting his character. I don't know who you are but please think before you put crap like that on this board.

My neighbor and I were having a political discussion the other day about our city council because we happened to meet on the sidewalk....and I was expressing my opinion. He said why don't you run for city council. Was he really endorsing me as a potential candidate or encouraging it.....of course not, it was just a casual conversation about politics.....(and I WAS doing most of the talking). :)

I would tend to believe football coaches talk "football speak" when they engage kids....and since Mance is a good-natured, friendly person....I would think that he or most any other coach meeting a kid that play sports....tries to instill a "worthwhile" feeling of "you count" as a person.

Some ppl, can read more into words...now, back to my political conversation......city council.....wow, my innerself says why not.....maybe next election....gosh.....I'll get back to everyone later on the board...of course, I will need contributions....anyone?????? :D

This is a ridiculous statement. Coach Mance is a good man who doesnt need people coming on here tainting his character. I don't know who you are but please think before you put crap like that on this board.

Pretty good lineman who moved around a lot. Played for Richlands, Lebanon, and Abingdon.

Haha yeah I don't know what I am talking about. After Richlands defeated us my senoir year I went in Richlands locker room and talked with/ congratulated some of the players. He talked to me, said someone from the high school drives everyday to Richlands from Abingdon, and would be "mor then glad to bring me and send me home". I told him alright I'd talked about it with my mom, but realized that I shouldn't do it solely for football.