Who will Cave Spring play in the State Semi's

Guest lookoutmountain

Guest lookoutmountain

Who is the likely team to challenge Cave Spring (possibly, but unlikely Richlands) in the state semi's? Which teams down that way are good again this year? Brookville maybe? It seems like things are lined up for Cave Spring to make a run at the whole thing. The schedule they played will help them tremendously. Afterall, they have 2 losses, yet still beat out Richlands for the one seed who has only 1 loss which gives Cave the home field. I like Cave's chances against the Region 3 team this year.

I love that your keep writing us off no hard feelings but the state semi is probably going to be Richlands/Cave Spring vs. Liberty Bed who is a machine this season Richlands or cave would be a couple td underdogs even at home but anything can happen between now and then.

... The schedule they played will help them tremendously. Afterall, they have 2 losses, yet still beat out Richlands for the one seed who has only 1 loss ...

For schedules, I'd call it a tie.

Richlands got 12 more points from winning, but 20 LESS points for opponent size, since we don't have the luxary of a AAA, or even a bunch of AA teams close by.

Richlands got an. avg. of 5 wins from each team they beat, Cave got 4.75.

Richlands lost to a 9 win, Cave's 2 avg'd 8.5.

Cave only got the #1 seed because a 2-win beat a 1-win on the last day of the season.

Anyone who thinks Cave is a bunch better then the Blues need only look back to what happen the last time a Tornado touched-down at Bogle.

Who is the likely team to challenge Cave Spring (possibly, but unlikely Richlands) in the state semi's? Which teams down that way are good again this year? Brookville maybe? It seems like things are lined up for Cave Spring to make a run at the whole thing. The schedule they played will help them tremendously. Afterall, they have 2 losses, yet still beat out Richlands for the one seed who has only 1 loss which gives Cave the home field. I like Cave's chances against the Region 3 team this year.

The Region III champ will be Liberty. And if Cave Spring makes it out of Region IV, the Minutemen will beat them like a rented mule.

Richlands matches up much more favorably. That and the homefield advantage make a Blues-Minutemen matchup a bit more compelling.

Good smack, though.

The Region III champ will be Liberty. And if Cave Spring makes it out of Region IV, the Minutemen will beat them like a rented mule.

Richlands matches up much more favorably. That and the homefield advantage make a Blues-Minutemen matchup a bit more compelling.

Good smack, though.

You've obviously neglected to factor in the huge momentum they get from laying the smack down on Richlands in the regional final. Lookout KNOWS that a team that hadn't torched anyone since the Graham game is a lock to thump Richlands by 10+ points.

Edited by parsons

You've obviously neglected to factor in the huge momentum they get from laying the smack down on Richlands in the regional final. Lookout KNOWS that a team that hadn't torched anyone since the Graham game is a lock to thump Richlands by 10+ points.

Hate to tell you but 10 points is not a thumping. Don't count the Blues out when playoffs come along, well, history speaks for itself. Everybody is Southwest Virginia just loves it when the Blues get beat, everyone just hates a winner I guess. It is a shame though, if another SWD team went up there I would be pulling for them.

Just speaking with a few people that deal with the team over at Cave Spring and he told me as late as this past tuesday that Cave Spring is acting as if they have already won the games and are looking ahead to liberty I told him that if they go in overlooking Richlands if they are lucky enough to get there that they will be in for a shock when and if that game happens.

Hate to tell you but 10 points is not a thumping. Don't count the Blues out when playoffs come along, well, history speaks for itself. Everybody is Southwest Virginia just loves it when the Blues get beat, everyone just hates a winner I guess. It is a shame though, if another SWD team went up there I would be pulling for them.

Another SWD team is going up there... And you, like everyone else has already given the game to Cave Spring...

Another SWD team is going up there... And you, like everyone else has already given the game to Cave Spring...

When on gods earth did I already give the game to Cave Spring???????????? If the game happens (which I think it will) I think Cave is in for a rude awakening if they overlook the Blues!

Guest lookoutmountain

Well, I would certainly hope Richlands would upset Cave Spring. Richlands is who I will be cheering for to win, but I just don't see that happening. The D is to suspect and the turnover ability by the QB who is a stud, will cost Richlands in the playoffs. As for VHSL Helper commenting on the even schedule...well, I wouldn't call it a tie. If it were a tie, Richlands and Cave would have had the same power point rating. Cave's was obviously a bit higher, so by the system we have in place in Virginia that attempts to objectively clarify team's ability and strength of schedule, Cave's was tougher. If we had another system in place, Richlands may have had the edge, but based on what we got in the here and now, Cave obviously had the higher rating. Time will tell what happens come the next round of the playoffs, but I like Cave's chances with its athletes to really give Liberty or Brookville a tough go of it, and again, possibly Richlands if they could somehow upset Cave Springs.

When on gods earth did I already give the game to Cave Spring???????????? If the game happens (which I think it will) I think Cave is in for a rude awakening if they overlook the Blues!

The other SWD team going up there is Graham THIS week.....

Mance and staff are focused solely on the Canes this week and their trip to the Ernie. The Richlands coaching staff does not get their team prepared by looking ahead or what if's.....the Richlands' fans ahhhhh yeah.

VHSL made a simple point that apparently flew over your head: he called it a tie because richlands played teams that won more, while cave played bigger schools. he also pointed out that cave only got the power points on the last game of the season in which a 2-win team defeated a 1-win team.

i hope the summary will be short enough for you to actually read, because the original post clearly wasn't. VHSLhelper knows his stuff, so you should formulate a real argument if you want to win this one.

The other SWD team going up there is Graham THIS week.....

Oh, ok. I am pulling for the Gmen but don't think they have it in them for the upset. I don't think Marion will be the push over this week that some are thinking. We need to be on our "A" game, and if we are, we get the win. How in the world did Marion lose to Tazewell this year????? Im not going by this game but was just wondering what happened in that one.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would think Marion would be a "pushover"...... the Canes will come into Ernie with the mentality they can win the game.

Again, the Richlands coaching staff has not gotten where they have in the past few years by overlooking any opponent....their preparation this week is for Marion ONLY.

Just speaking with a few people that deal with the team over at Cave Spring and he told me as late as this past tuesday that Cave Spring is acting as if they have already won the games and are looking ahead to liberty I told him that if they go in overlooking Richlands if they are lucky enough to get there that they will be in for a shock when and if that game happens.

It's probably not a good idea for Richlands or Cave Spring to look ahead. Read the Cody Thomas article in the Bluefield newspaper. One game at a time........is the only way to approach a championship run.

VHSL made a simple point that apparently flew over your head: he called it a tie because richlands played teams that won more, while cave played bigger schools. he also pointed out that cave only got the power points on the last game of the season in which a 2-win team defeated a 1-win team.

i hope the summary will be short enough for you to actually read, because the original post clearly wasn't. VHSLhelper knows his stuff, so you should formulate a real argument if you want to win this one.

Good job Keeper, he might understand now. Also didn't CS only out point by 1 point..or was it 2.

I guess you could look at the schedule in this way CS played the number 1,2,3 seeded teams in the region four d4 playoffs and played the 2,5 seed from region three division three and region three d4 seed five equalling 7 aa playoff opponents while the tornadoes have only played one division 4 opponent who was a four seed in region four and of course the rest of the swd who made the playoffs 5 aa playoff teams in all with lebanon gate city and powell valley being the single a playoff teams.remaining teams abingdon wins versus two weak single a teams and grundy. Grundy 4 wins versus very weak teams and one versus a decent tazewell team.remainging teams for CS PH-Roanoke aaa not very good but managed three wins pulaski who must have played the the toughest schedule in D4 played three one seeds, two two seeds, a AAA playoff team and was in basically every game they played except for a few. Blacksburg same schedule as pulaski they played three one seeds and two twoseeds also. If I were making an argument no doubt this would be mine. Forgot to mention of course CS played d3 seed #5 in graham. This is the gray area argument on power points and the tie. But none of this really matters anyway its who scores the most on the scoreboard.

Guest lookoutmountain

Yes, regarding the VHSL Helper's post on it being a tie. I read it, understand it, and disagree with it. Was the any portion of my post that you didn't understand. He can know his stuff over backwards, but it doesn't change the facts and the facts are....based on the power point system we have, Cave Spring had more of those points than Richlands. Whether they overtook them in week 1, or in the final regular season game on the last play....they overtook them and finished with a higher power point ranking which is a system that tries to objectively measure strength of schedule and performance. One can argue all they wish on how objective or accurate the system is...but it is the one we have now. Is any part of that not clear? Last time I checked, Cave and Richlands didn't tie in the power points, Cave had more. It may have been close, but I don't call close a tie. I call a tie the same amount of points. And yes....Cave played a tougher schedule even with Richlands playing Gate City, that's why they lost 2 games and have a higher power ranking. I'm not saying Richlands has a weak schedule, but I am saying Cave's was tougher for this given year. Hope that clears things up. If it's still not to clear, I will refer you to which team is the one seed and which team is the two seed and VHSL Helper can verify it for you.

Guest lookoutmountain

P.S. it doesn't matter because after next weekend, it will be a forgone issue as Cave Spring prepares for Liberty or Brookville.

P.S. it doesn't matter because after next weekend, it will be a forgone issue as Cave Spring prepares for Liberty or Brookville.

Northside may be the region three team and there are still four teams left in region four