SOUTHWEST

1. Graham

2. Marion

3. Abingdon

4. Grundy

5. Tazewell

6. Richlands

7. Carroll County

I think that is a fair preseason assessment. I do think there will be some surprises. I hear there is an accompanying article, but not having seen the paper I could not say. Has anyone seen it?

Marion wouldnt know what to do with a preseason #1. They're just naturally an underdog program. Thats how they play, that gives them their character. Marion always plays with a chip on their shoulder which is why they have a tendency to play dirty.

Abingdon have a pretty good season considering their success in their JV program.However, they lose a number of key player via graduation. Abingdon is always at the around the top of the SWD in basketball and it shouldnt be any different this year.

Keep an eye on Richlands this year. I see them making a strong run with the number of returning players they have including McGee which will lead the team in everything offensive. He's hard to stop some nights but if you stop him you stop Richlands.

Marion wouldnt know what to do with a preseason #1. They're just naturally an underdog program. Thats how they play, that gives them their character. Marion always plays with a chip on their shoulder which is why they have a tendency to play dirty.

Abingdon have a pretty good season considering their success in their JV program.However, they lose a number of key player via graduation. Abingdon is always at the around the top of the SWD in basketball and it shouldnt be any different this year.

Keep an eye on Richlands this year. I see them making a strong run with the number of returning players they have including McGee which will lead the team in everything offensive. He's hard to stop some nights but if you stop him you stop Richlands.

Here we go again.

I would definately put Richlands in the top three - Gunner is hard to handle as the Johnsons are playing -- I have seen them play basketball before and they will be an added bonus to the team. It may take a few days to get organized but they will be in the thick of things at the end of the season.

seems the top 5 is pretty close what about 6 and 7 is it not a good year for Tazewell or Carrol

Im not sure about Caroll but Tazewell pretty much lost all of their leading scorers, rebounders, assisters.

How do you like that new word, assisters? haha

I'll be intrested in how Grundy stacks up with the rest of the district. Council was not suppose to have anything this year and they gave Grundy a pretty good game. East Ridge is a basketball school and seems to always be very good and Grundy gave them a really good game.

Grundy does not have hardly any height. There tallest player is 6'4.

It will be a big help when Ben Rife can start playing.

Graham lost one player the whole team is seniors and juniors. Graham wins District this season because they have more experience than most if not all of the other teams.....correction Graham should win district.

Graham lost one player the whole team is seniors and juniors. Graham wins District this season because they have more experience than most if not all of the other teams.....correction Graham should win district.

what about kyle harris? without him they won't be near as good as they would be with him.

what about kyle harris? without him they won't be near as good as they would be with him.

Kyle does have a lot of talent and it will definitly hurt them a lot but Graham still has Jordan Bryan and Scott Brewster who have improved tremendously.

Btw, Graham plays wednesday and friday at Graham Middle School if anyone wants to come watch.

SOUTHWEST

1. Graham

2. Marion

3. Abingdon

4. Grundy

5. Tazewell

6. Richlands

7. Carroll County

I think that is a fair preseason assessment. I do think there will be some surprises. I hear there is an accompanying article, but not having seen the paper I could not say. Has anyone seen it?

Winning the SWD in basketball is like being the tallest elf. It's been that way ever since I was in high school, and it'll be that way long after I'm gone unless there's a priority shift in SWD athletics (that just isn't going to happen).

Winning the SWD in basketball is like being the tallest elf. It's been that way ever since I was in high school, and it'll be that way long after I'm gone unless there's a priority shift in SWD athletics (that just isn't going to happen).

Get it right..."tallest midget"...I coined that phrase years ago...

we all know this, but we still like to discuss our teams

I may be wrong, but Marion only lost one starter...they have a lot of size and experience returning...they have a new coach, so it'll be interesting to see how they do. A good measuring stick will be Pulaski on the 11th.

we all know this, but we still like to discuss our teams

Until the majority of the SWD drops to single A where they belong, it'll continue to be like that. The kids deserve to experience some success at the Regional and State level. It'll never happen, unless they decide to drop. It's David vs. Goliath when it comes to regional play in nearly every sport....

Until the majority of the SWD drops to single A where they belong, it'll continue to be like that. The kids deserve to experience some success at the Regional and State level. It'll never happen, unless they decide to drop. It's David vs. Goliath when it comes to regional play in nearly every sport....

I think that is a bit of a strech. In football Richlands is usually in the state playoffs competiting for a state championship every year. Tazewell and Richladns both made it far in regional play in baseball last year (Richlands made the state playoffs) and Grundy always has people competiting for state in wrestling and competiting for the team title.

In basketball, yes...we usually never have anyone go far in regional play

I'm surprised people are counting Abingdon out of the mix so soon. Aren't they returning some guys from last season? And I know a player that didn't play last season, which would have been a huge addition last season, is playing again this season.

I'm surprised people are counting Abingdon out of the mix so soon. Aren't they returning some guys from last season? And I know a player that didn't play last season, which would have been a huge addition last season, is playing again this season.

They lost some guys from last years team who contributed heavily in the point and rebound categories.

There is only one decent player from JV that moved up that can do little if any damage on varsity. I think he was #34 last year on JV.

Abingdon Lost Colby and that was pretty much all they had. Everyone is saying no one goes far in basketball but didn't Marioin go to states last year? Yeahh don't forget about them.

once again, what state other than Virginia (which is actually a commonwealth) does Marion play in?