Bud Foster talking to UGA

tbgfan

Foster has said many times that he isn't interested in making a lateral move. He likes where he is at and what he has in Blacksburg. Foster wants to be a head coach at a BCS conference school, no less.

Good coaches take a lateral school and build them into BCS contenders. If he waits around to inherit a national championship team, he will never go anywhere.

Well you have to admire his loyalty. I wish more coaches were like BF. He is one of, if not THE best at what he does, and you know he could easily go elsewhere.

I dig Bud and what he does, but seems to me that he just "Beamered" some more $$$ out of Tech. And this is getting kind of ridiculous....

Are they going to throw big money at Bruce Garnes if he talks to an SEC school about washing their uniforms??

I dig Bud and what he does, but seems to me that he just "Beamered" some more $$$ out of Tech. And this is getting kind of ridiculous....

Are they going to throw big money at Bruce Garnes if he talks to an SEC school about washing their uniforms??

Exactly right. He "Beamered" Beamer himself.

I'm telling you guys, Bud is waiting for "bigger and better"...JW doesn't believe in the "coach in waiting" plan but he/Beamer/VT are doing all they can to keep him around until his time comes...

Foster did NOT go looking for the UGA job.....they went after Foster. I, respectfully, disagree that Foster in anyway "beamered VT for more money."

UGA WANTED Bud Foster.....UGA has deep pockets....UGA was willing to reach deep to get Foster.

Reasoning, Foster would have been the "fire" needed in this program to get it back on track....it wasn't just a courtesy call to see if Bud was interested....they went after Bud hard. Richt is a mild mannered coach and Bud has a fiery personality.....it would have been a fire and ice coaching team.

I, also, believe UGA thought Foster could be the "stop gap" for the inroads that GA Tech was making in landing GA recruits that at one time only considered UGA.

I'm very GLAD that Foster decided to stay at VT but, money wasn't the overriding factor in his decision.

VT knew that this day would come AGAIN, VT wanted Foster TOO....the reason they were willing to sweeten any offer from UGA. Don't kid yourself, UGA would have topped the VT offer....but, they knew where Bud wanted to finish his career....not at UGA but, at VT.

Congrats Coach Foster on being recognized by other top football programs for your defensive success and congrats to VT for recognizing what other schools were willing to spend to get him. It's a win-win for VT....simply put.

Beamer and Foster are what has put VT on the national stage....and I'm glad to see the combo stay intact.

Edited by trublue

But isn't that what "Beamered" is? Frank didn't "go looking" when he was contacted by Alabama, Clemson, UNC, etc., but he did use those offers to get a better deal from VT. That's all Foster did, and in my opinion it's exactly what he should have done. There is nothing wrong with asking for what you're worth, and if UGA was willing to pay him more then that means he's worth more.

In using the "phrasing" of the previous posters, I was not implying anything ..... I was just using their terminology. Being in ATL, I've read several articles about the quest to land Foster and how actively they were pursuing him.

I think any person would entertain lucrative job offers if approached. IMO, I don't think they (Beamer or Foster) used outside offers to get better deals.... I think the university decided they wanted to RETAIN these coaches for their school and were WILLING to put themselves in the position to be competitive with the outside offers.

Anyone with ambition to better themselves and provide for their families listens to people who pitch job offers. In the end you have decide is the new situation better for you and your family. If you are happy where you are, and they are willing to give you more money, I call that win/win.