Graham and Grundy to A, approved?

swva_fan

And none of them are in the Mountain Empire District

we were talking about the region ;)

a MED championship would be great, but if you don't make it past the region then you can't win a state championship.

A few thoughts:

Graham will come in to the MED as the team to beat in football. Fort's upstart program will create a quick rilvary. Everyone else is average on a good year. Like it has been posted already on this thread, D2 region C is always up for grabs. Usually 4-6 quality teams year in and year out. If Graham thinks that they will walk through region C every year they will learn fast. That's not to say that they won't win their fair share.

Looking back, I think that Graham would have won region C and maybe state in D2 in 2003.....wasn't that Bradshaw's year when they lost to Gretna? Since, I think they would have made the playoffs winning the MED but would not have won the region. Giles, GW, and Floyd were very strong the years they won the region 04-08 and Radford this year.

Graham would have won the MED every year until maybe this year battling with Fort if they were in the MED for the last decade.

I would assume since Grundy Wrestling Club and Grundy High is technically not directly associated, I would think the GWC can wrestle pretty much anywhere they want?

Question wasn't about GWC.

Grundy should end up in the LPD for wrestling, since they're the closest district that offers it (coulda been why we wanted to go to the LPD last time around). That's what happened when Garden had a wrestling team.

This is a great move for the G-Men and not a bad one for grundy i do not think. Look at it like this in that district Marrs will look like he knows what he is doing just kidding guys good luck in your new district hope we can keep ya from winning the SWD in your last season.

will Grundy be automatic BDD champs in wrestling or will they be placed in another district for wrestling?

Grundy may win the AA championship this year...I think the combination of them being better than the past few years...and a slight drop off for Christiansburg gives them a shot...they'll probably still wrestle in the same tournaments, regardless of classification...but they will wrestle for a single A title in 2011...

come on graham has been playing with schools of over 1000 for years and years and you say we would be middle of the pack the only team we would have to go through is radford i mean radford is a school but there nothing like the teams we play in the region!

You are dilusional....The days of the SWD being a quality district ended about 10 years ago...

I have watched Graham play football for 35 years!!!...There are very few people on this board who are bigger Graham fans than me...the region(and I should specify Division 3...Division 4 actually got much better with the addition of the river ridge) has become weaker and weaker...and has hit rock bottom in the past few years...with the exception of maybe Richlands, who is the only team who has actually improved....

I lived in the NRV for a few years and watched Floyd, Radford and Giles play...the past few seasons, they would have destroyed Graham as well as every single team in Region IV Division 3 with the exception of Richlands...and I would bet money on that.

See for yourself in 2011.

Edited by futbolking

Futbolking.....I am glad to see you post this. I am a Floyd fan and I know how tough region C is every year. I think from the average fan perspective, a district or even a team that is AA just assumes victory over a single A school. Region C will be a good fit for Graham. Very competitive and one where Graham will have to be very good, like anyone else, to win the region.

You are dilusional....The days of the SWD being a quality district ended about 10 years ago...

I have watched Graham play football for 35 years!!!...There are very few people on this board who are bigger Graham fans than me...the region(and I should specify Division 3...Division 4 actually got much better with the addition of the river ridge) has become weaker and weaker...and has hit rock bottom in the past few years...with the exception of maybe Richlands, who is the only team who has actually improved....

I lived in the NRV for a few years and watched Floyd, Radford and Giles play...the past few seasons, they would have destroyed Graham as well as every single team in Region IV Division 3 with the exception of Richlands...and I would bet money on that.

See for yourself in 2011.

10 years ago? no sir...5 or 6 years ago...maybe...up through 2004 Grundy, Graham, Richlands, and Tazewell were all pretty good as far as that goes...AB and the 2002 team were strong then...as well...there was still some good football being played back then...so it's not been 10 years by a long shot.

Baseball - Grayson

Softball - No idea but definitely not Graham

Boys Soccer - Probably Galax but Graham second without a doubt

Girls Soccer - Graham

Boys Basketball - Graham

Girls Basketball - Narrows

Golf - Graham or Galax would have to battle it out

Football - Probably Graham or maybe Fort Chiswell

Track - No idea but definitely not Graham

Volleyball - Not sure but not Graham

Just my thoughts.

Grayson and Galax take turns it seems with the MED in basketball. Galax has made a few recent state runs in D1 while this year Grayson is ranked #10 in Group A in the latest poll.. I don't know if Graham could compete near the top on a yearly basis. The MED and the Pioneer are usually seen as a wash in Region C but it's not always true.

Futbolking.....I am glad to see you post this. I am a Floyd fan and I know how tough region C is every year. I think from the average fan perspective, a district or even a team that is AA just assumes victory over a single A school. Region C will be a good fit for Graham. Very competitive and one where Graham will have to be very good, like anyone else, to win the region.

I've witnessed these teams first hand....unlike most of the posters on here...I have seen Floyd, Giles and Radford plenty of times the past few years....George Wythe has had a couple of really good teams, also.

I've had to deal with people (my own family included) question my sanity when I would tell them that Floyd or Radford would whip Graham...or Tazewell....or just about any D-3 team in Region IV.

Floyd has held a huge advantage over the D-3...and even D-4 Piedmont teams over the past few years when they have played...This season was the first time in the past few years that Cave Spring was able to beat Floyd in a scrimmage or a benefit game...(really, the only contest that was even close...Floyd dominated the other 3 or 4 contests).

Radford totally dominated Tazewell just a few years ago...

Floyd played a Christiansburg team to overtime this year and lost by 7 last year (I think)...to the same Christiansburg team that could've named the score against Graham last season.

Gretna (single A) made Graham look like a playground team...last season...Floyd played them very close...

These are just a few examples...I'm not trying to put down the SWD or D-3...I just want people to realize...that the going will be very, very difficult for Graham...they are dropping down in classification, but definitely not in level of competition.

on this end of the state, AA and A football is not that much different...there are a lot of good teams at A level....on the other end of the state you don't have that same parity...that's what people are talking about when they say that they will be more competetive at a Regional level.

Clintwood, Gate City, Powell Valley, Giles...all usually have strong teams that would give Richlands or any of the other teams in AA from around here a good game...I say Richlands because they are obviously the strongest program over the past few years around these parts...but...in general you get the point...not every A level team is like Twin Valley an not every AA team is like Richlands...but there is a level there where most teams can compete...when you get to the Regionals where these same schools have to play Salem or the BEST of the larger schools with way over 1000 kids...then the parity is just not there.

It's hard to compete for most schools...Richlands has done a good job of it, but they are about the only one in AA that has...if other teams had programs similar to the way Richlands does, then you would see more teams that could...what it comes down to sadly is that the other teams around here just don't want it as bad and don't put the time in or have anywhere near the program Richlands does....so until you are willing to invest in the kids with year round football, workouts, 7 on 7, camps, and start a lower level system that is serious that runs the same basic offense and defense that they will see when they get to the HS level....then you won't see the same success...Richlands has the kids bought in to football 100% and the kids expect to win...the fans show up for the games and support them and they expect the kids to win...Gate City is probably the closest other team in that sort of tradition and mentality.

These schools that are dropping down, in football at least...are not going to find it any easier going getting out of Regions...but...whoever does make it out will have a more even playing field as far as numbers go enroute to State...you will still have to deal with some teams that are going to be powerhouses year in and year out...no easy rides.

Good post Lance. Our youth league teams however, do not exclusively run the Spread Offense. It is hard to get enough kids on one team that are physically developed enough to maintain a constant threat with the pass. We try. Basically, we teach our kids to block and tackle and how to compete.