Bluefield College

http://bdtonline.com/localsports/x563630452/BC-looking-for-gridiron-return-in-2011

By JED LOCKETT

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD — Four Seasons Country may soon have another gridiron team to root for. According to college president Dr. David Olive, Bluefield College is expected to announce in a few weeks that football will be returning to the school as an intercollegiate sport.

Bluefield College has placed an advertisement on its web site for a full-time football coach and is looking for the remaining funds to start a team in 2011.

“We’re hoping to start putting things in place so that in the near future we can launch the program,†Olive said.

“The one that we’re working on is putting the funding together for the first year of operational cost for the program. I’m hoping in the very near future that we’re going to have that put to bed. We’ve gotten a great start already, but just have a little bit more ways to go before we’re at that juncture. Once the funding’s in place, we can go live, so-to-speak.â€

Olive declined to say how much money the program would require for a 2011 season, how much he had raised or how much he still needed to raise.

“There are several objectives that have to be met before we’re ready to officially announce football’s return to Bluefield,†Olive said. “I’m hopeful that’ll be in the next two to three weeks and that we’ll be pulling everybody together for an announcement.â€

Bluefield College has posted a job opening on its web site for a full-time head football coach. The ad states, “The position will require an understanding of and commitment to the values of Bluefield College, the NAIA, and the NCCAA.â€

“There is an announcement posted on our web site and several other web sites to begin that process,†Olive said. He declined to say what he would be looking for in the position.

“We’re trying to keep things moving at as fast a pace as we can,†Olive said. “That’s why there’s activity already beginning to take place.

“The posting of the job on our web site is an attempt to basically run parallel with this other objective and I’m very hopeful that they coincide and that we’re not losing ground or time in this process.â€

Bluefield College’s possible return to the intercollegiate gridiron has been the subject of discussion and debate for years.

“This was being discussed when I arrived in 2007. At that time, Dr. Charles Warren during his interim presence, he put into motion a football feasibility study and that was conducted during the 2006-2007 year.

“We’ve been developing that plan to be able to get to a point to where we can launch the program.â€

Details such as where the Ramblin’ Rams would play, where they would practice, and what division and conference they would play in are still being ironed out.

“We’re exploring those options,†said Bluefield College public relations director Chris Shoemaker. “Several (conferences) have been mentioned, but I would hate to list any because I would hate to leave one out. We’ve discussed things like where would we practice, where would we play. And those are the kinds of details, the kinds of pieces of the puzzle that are now beginning to fall into place.â€

The last time Bluefield College played football was Nov. 20, 1941 when they beat the University of Rio Grande 30-7. Now Bluefield College is close to making a return a reality.

“It is going to be dependent on us securing the funding that we need to be able to launch the program,†Olive said. “And at that very moment when we know that we’ve hit that mark, we’ll call a press conference and make that public, formal announcement that football is returning to Bluefield College.â€

— Contact Jed Lockett

at jlockett@bdtonline.com

As a BC alum, I really hope this works out for them but I do think its a mistake for such a small school during what is not the best of economic times.

Sure they can get enough "up front money" to start the program but I wonder if they realize the amount of money that it will take on an annual basis to continue a football program. And as far as practice facilities...they have none. Weight room needed for a football program...not that I'm aware of. Having a college football program is more than just "fielding a team". I really don't think they've dotted all their "T"s and crossed all their "I"s yet...