Number 1 Entrance in all of NCAA football....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to get in this fight, but I do remember the blocked kick GMan is talking about, and I remember hearing that the vibration from the crowd was recorded by the seismograph on campus. I don't remember if I read it or if it was mentioned by Roth/Burnop, but I do remember it.

Probably mentioned by Bill "Gigantic VT Homer" Roth. He'll never carry Randy King's jock in VT homerism, but that's for another day.

Nothing wrong with being a homer (I with Dave Koehn were more of one), but it does cloud the judgment.

Probably mentioned by Bill "Gigantic VT Homer" Roth. He'll never carry Randy King's jock in VT homerism, but that's for another day.

Nothing wrong with being a homer (I with Dave Koehn were more of one), but it does cloud the judgment.

Well 99.99% of his listeners are VT fans. There's no reason for him to be impartial.

Isn't that part of the job of college's play by play guy? In fact, most play by play guys that work exclusively for a team are "homers."

Isn't that part of the job of college's play by play guy? In fact, most play by play guys that work exclusively for a team are "homers."

Just like the team broadcasters for MLB, college announcers boost their teams, since they are playing to the home folks. Roth does a great job calling the game, and he and Burnop will not hesitate to mention poor play.

As for UT, it hasn't been the same since John Ward, one of the all-time greats. That from someone who grew up listening to Cawood Ledford calling Kentucky football and basketball.

Well 99.99% of his listeners are VT fans. There's no reason for him to be impartial.

Guys, re-read my last sentence:

"Nothing wrong with being a homer (I with Dave Koehn were more of one), but it does cloud the judgment."

My point is that if you're looking toward your radio PBP announcer for objectivity about anything, you're barking up the wrong tree in the wrong forest. Nothing more, nothing less, except my jabs at Randy King, of which there are never enough.

Maybe some of you "VT Homers" need to attend some football games in the best conference in all of college football, SEC. There you will see some great traditions both prior to the beginning of the game and during the game!!!!! Not some rock song being played at 200 decibels. Oh, I remember Tech doesn't have a rich tradition they just discovered football about 15 years ago.

Maybe some of you "VT Homers" need to attend some football games in the best conference in all of college football, SEC. There you will see some great traditions both prior to the beginning of the game and during the game!!!!! Not some rock song being played at 200 decibels. Oh, I remember Tech doesn't have a rich tradition they just discovered football about 15 years ago.

Maybe so, but one of the strongest programs in those 15 years. Maybe no NCAA titles, but your still looking at a relatively young program. So this doesnt bother me any the least. lol Tech didnt win the ACC this year and gave the NCAA champion all they could handle with ONE if not the WORSE D's in recent Tech history. So call me bias, but just stating the truth.

I've been to my fair share of SEC games, and will put Tech up with anyone. While the winning has been going on for 20+ years, the loyalty of the Hokie fan is unmatched. I have friends who have been loyal supporters for 60+ years. The long suffering fans created a rich tradition long before the winning came.

Maybe so, but one of the strongest programs in those 15 years. Maybe no NCAA titles, but your still looking at a relatively young program. So this doesnt bother me any the least. lol Tech didnt win the ACC this year and gave the NCAA champion all they could handle with ONE if not the WORSE D's in recent Tech history. So call me bias, but just stating the truth.

LOL. If this had been UVA playing NCAA Champion Alabama and losing by letting the Crimson Tide roll up 500 yards of offense, I could almost hear the VT faithful now. "You got CRUSHED!" "A loss is a loss, it doesn't matter by how much." "You all never stood a chance". Etc. Just sayin'.

I'm talking tradition over 75-100 years. I'm not sure what SEC games Hackers been to but it must have been Vandy vs Kentucky or something. The atomsphere is unmatched by anyones standards and they don't have to play Metallica to get fired up.

I agree Tech has been a good program for the last several years, but no titles to show for it. If you're lucky you may get to witness alot of SEC football in the near future as the SEC hand picks several teams to join that great conference. From what I am reading, hearing looks like VT will be one of the teams to get an invite.

I'm talking tradition over 75-100 years. I'm not sure what SEC games Hackers been to but it must have been Vandy vs Kentucky or something. The atomsphere is unmatched by anyones standards and they don't have to play Metallica to get fired up.

I agree Tech has been a good program for the last several years, but no titles to show for it. If you're lucky you may get to witness alot of SEC football in the near future as the SEC hand picks several teams to join that great conference. From what I am reading, hearing looks like VT will be one of the teams to get an invite.

I've been a VT fan for nearly as long as I've been alive. THAT is my tradition!!! I couldn't care less what they do in Knoxville or Tallahassee, or how long they've been doing it. If Tech joins the SEC then that's great!!! But if they drop to NAIA they will still be MY TEAM.

My point is like it or not, Va Tech is the place to be in the eastern united states for a NCAA football game. Whatever goes on down south, I could care less. SEC has some great teams, and traditions. But I agree with BigD4vt, tech goes to NAIA or DIII I could care less.

And look at the recruits the SEC gets for just being the SEC. Players like Grimm, Tech turns into ball players. Tech doesnt get the #1 ranked QB, #1 ranked TB, or big name coach like Urban Myer to come in. Because Tech makes players, and has a coaching staff that came from no where and been loyal to the program. That alone is what makes Tech great.

My point is like it or not, Va Tech is the place to be in the eastern united states for a NCAA football game. Whatever goes on down south, I could care less. SEC has some great teams, and traditions. But I agree with BigD4vt, tech goes to NAIA or DIII I could care less.

And look at the recruits the SEC gets for just being the SEC. Players like Grimm, Tech turns into ball players. Tech doesnt get the #1 ranked QB, #1 ranked TB, or big name coach like Urban Myer to come in. Because Tech makes players, and has a coaching staff that came from no where and been loyal to the program. That alone is what makes Tech great.

I couldn't agree more. Tech football tradition is just as old as any SEC school. I am not arguing winning, because UT, UGA, LSU, Bama, have that cornered. Many schools will sell their souls for a national championship.

For kick we can compare the number of NCAA probations by conference too. Those are also an SEC tradition. (Bama)

I don't mean to pick nits, but I consider UF, FSU, Miami, Georgia, Clemson, Alabama, Michigan, OSU-East, PSU, and UT to be in the eastern half of the United States. And I think those fans might have a thing or two to say about being "the place to be...for an NCAA football game." And I just realized, all those schools I listed have something in common...

And the thing they have in common is.......wait for it...... at least one National Championship.

I was going to guess that Lane Kiffen partied there...oh well.

I'm a Tech fan as well. I pull for Tech because I grew up in SW Va. I was born in Alabama, so my first loyalty is to the Crimson Tide. I agree the coaching staff at Tech has done a great job developing players, but you can't be serious if you think teams like Alabama, Florida, LSU, Georgia, etc. don't take 3 star players and develop them into great players as well. A perfect example is Mark Ingram. He came to Bama as a three star prospect, and last year he won the Heisman. Now that's player development at its finest. And believe me, it doesn't end there. Bama has had three good recruiting years, but the National Championship the Tide won in 2009 was with mostly three star recruits. I know a lot of you guys don't like the SEC, but let's give credit where credit is due. And the SEC was not always considered the #1 conference in the nation. They earned it.

Edited by blueinbama

I'm a Tech fan as well. I pull for Tech because I grew up in SW Va. I was born in Alabama, so my first loyalty is to the Crimson Tide. I agree the coaching staff at Tech has done a great job developing players, but you can't be serious if you think teams like Alabama, Florida, LSU, Georgia, etc. don't take 3 star players and develop them into great players as well. A perfect example is Mark Ingram. He came to Bama as a three star prospect, and last year he won the Heisman. Now that's player development at its finest. And believe me, it doesn't end there. Bama has had three good recruiting years, but the National Championship the Tide won in 2009 was with mostly three star recruits. I know a lot of you guys don't like the SEC, but let's give credit where credit is due. And the SEC was not always considered the #1 conference in the nation. They earned it.

Agreed. You can be a homer all you want as long as you recognize what accomplishments have been made throughout history, recent and non so recent. Like I said earlier, Tech has done a good job the last 15-20 years, but don't compare the histories of programs like Bama, Tennessee, Auburn with that of Techs. And whether BigD just wants to consider history of his program since his birth, well thats his prerogative. However, its probably a good thing we don't view all historical events and traditions in that manner, just since our individual births. Nothing happened before I was born. I think!!

By the way, BigD have you ever been to a SEC game? Or for the matter, have you ever been to any other college game besides a Tech game? I have, Penn St vs Bama, Penn St vs West Virginia, Tennessee vs Bama, Tennessee vs Florida, Michigan St vs Texas Tech, VT vs WV, UCLA vs Tennessee, Notre Dame vs Tennessee, Virginia vs Miami, Virginia vs WV, Virginia vs Pitt, just to name a few.

Mapper:

For kick we can compare the number of NCAA probations by conference too. Those are also an SEC tradition. (Bama)

When you have to resort to cheap shots like these, you've already lost your argument. Try and have a civil conversation with some people and they can't keep their cool long enough to remain credible. Jealousy is a horrible thing.

mapper:

When you have to resort to cheap shots like these, you've already lost your argument. Try and have a civil conversation with some people and they can't keep their cool long enough to remain credible. Jealousy is a horrible thing.

lol