Number 1 Entrance in all of NCAA football....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest zeus71
I searched several sites and prob 7 out of 10 list Virginia Tech as number one... here is the link for all my fellow VT fanshttp://www.realclearsports.com/lists/college_football_entrances/virginia_tech_enter_sandman.html?state=stop and watch the video.

It is hands down the best entrance in football. But nothing beat the first time they did it. I think it was 2000 or 2001 when the #1 Canes were in town on a Thursday night. It was warm in B burg not favoring the hokies but they mopped up the floor with the Canes and I think that electric entrance played a big part in the hokies beating them to the punch. Thats the game D hall took the ball out of roscoe parish's hands after a catch and took it to the house.

It is hands down the best entrance in football. But nothing beat the first time they did it. I think it was 2000 or 2001 when the #1 Canes were in town on a Thursday night. It was warm in B burg not favoring the hokies but they mopped up the floor with the Canes and I think that electric entrance played a big part in the hokies beating them to the punch. Thats the game D hall took the ball out of roscoe parish's hands after a catch and took it to the house.

WRONG!

The first time they played "Enter Sandman" for the entrance was in 2000, the first year of the video board, for the "Lightning Bowl" vs. Georgia Tech...the game that was never played due to a severe thunderstorm in which lightning struck Lee Corso's retal car. Some people are still waiting on refunds for their tickets for that game...

The BEST, most exciting entrance was vs. Miami on November 1, 2003 on a warm Saturday night when the 'Canes came in as the #2 team in the country...the Hokies smashed them 31-7. That whole evening was pure, raw emotion from the walk to the final horn from both the team and the fans. I'd be willing to bet that was the game you are thinking of...

That atmosphere tried to be "re-created" in 2005 but it was too contrived and wasn't even close to the same "feel" or "effect" of 2003.

The feel of Lane Stadium hasn't been the same since the "remodel" and Jim Weaver cramming "Hokie Respect" down everyone's throat...I long for the "good ole days" of 2003...

I think the game you're talking about was in 2003. Miami came in ranked #2 and VT won 31-7. The Sandman entrance was first played in 2000 before the Georgia Tech game, which was cancelled due to lightning, but the intensity (and jumping) didn't pick up until '02 or '03.

Miami has never played in Blacksburg on a Thursday night.

http://www.vthokiefans.com/2009/10/22/the-story-behind-virginia-techs-enter-sandman-tradition/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/25/AR2009092502363.html

Guest zeus71
WRONG!

The first time they played "Enter Sandman" for the entrance was in 2000, the first year of the video board, for the "Lightning Bowl" vs. Georgia Tech...the game that was never played due to a severe thunderstorm in which lightning struck Lee Corso's retal car. Some people are still waiting on refunds for their tickets for that game...

The BEST, most exciting entrance was vs. Miami on November 1, 2003 on a warm Saturday night when the 'Canes came in as the #2 team in the country...the Hokies smashed them 31-7. That whole evening was pure, raw emotion from the walk to the final horn from both the team and the fans. I'd be willing to bet that was the game you are thinking of...

That atmosphere tried to be "re-created" in 2005 but it was too contrived and wasn't even close to the same "feel" or "effect" of 2003.

The feel of Lane Stadium hasn't been the same since the "remodel" and Jim Weaver cramming "Hokie Respect" down everyone's throat...I long for the "good ole days" of 2003...

yeah all you guys are right sorry i used my own memory instead of going to hokie sports to look it up. 7 years is a long time should have used the computer. I've had season tickets since 91. After Maurice Deshazo they all run together. LOL I could have sworn that game was on a Thursday though but I guess not.

yeah all you guys are right sorry i used my own memory instead of going to hokie sports to look it up. 7 years is a long time should have used the computer. I've had season tickets since 91. After Maurice Deshazo they all run together. LOL I could have sworn that game was on a Thursday though but I guess not.

You're getting old!! Memory is the first thing to go!! hahaha I keed I keed

yeah all you guys are right sorry i used my own memory instead of going to hokie sports to look it up. 7 years is a long time should have used the computer.

I'm old and I didn't need to go to Hokiesports to look that up...:D

Is it me or wasn't there a game it was so loud an earthquake device in a building picked up the ground shaking due to the fans jumping and screaming?

Is that one of the games yall are talking about or am I just stupid? lol

Is it me or wasn't there a game it was so loud an earthquake device in a building picked up the ground shaking due to the fans jumping and screaming?

I think that is an urban legend but its a neat thing to brag about to idiots, I do it all the time :)

Actually, the ground did shake in 2001 when VT blocked a Miami punt and took it back for a TD with 6 minutes left in the game to pull within 2 points of the #1 ranked 'Canes. Unfortunately, a dropped pass on the 2-point conversion put an end to that...

Not a blocked punt against Miami.....but, how about a BIG interception against the Canes.

Last year prior to the VT season, I was in a retail area coming out of a business and spotted a car setting up front next to the curb with a VT logo plate on the front.

I gave the person sitting on the passenger side a thumb's up (pointing to the VT tag) and he rolled down the window. I asked if he had attended VT and he said he did. I commented on the team and their upcoming year ....then, he told me he used to play for the Hokies.

Naturally :) , I asked his name and he told me.........listen to the audio below to hear who it was.

Later, I googled his career at VT and saw one of his plays against Miami was one of the most memorable in Hokie history.

Here ya go:

Click on #8

http://www.hokiesports.com/radio/greatesthits.html

Following is a link to his foundation:

http://www.thecarpenterhouseinc.org/

Auburn-LSU, 1988. No, not VT, as much as the Lane Stadium faithful want it to be.

Guest zeus71
I'm old and I didn't need to go to Hokiesports to look that up...:D

Thats cause your a bad ass full of knowledge. I would feel weak in your company. Seriously.

Edited by zeus71

Guest zeus71
Actually, the ground did shake in 2001 when VT blocked a Miami punt and took it back for a TD with 6 minutes left in the game to pull within 2 points of the #1 ranked 'Canes. Unfortunately, a dropped pass on the 2-point conversion put an end to that...

Wrong !!!! the game he is reffering to was actually played at Death Valley in Baton Rouge the seismology dept. is right beside the stadium and the explosiveness of the crowd registered on the rhicter scale. I have no idea how to spell rhicter. But I didn't look it up.

Wrong !!!! the game he is reffering to was actually played at Death Valley in Baton Rouge the seismology dept. is right beside the stadium and the explosiveness of the crowd registered on the rhicter scale. I have no idea how to spell rhicter. But I didn't look it up.

Ummm...I thought everyone already knew about that incident and I thought he was refering to a VT game. And, uh, yeh, a seismograph on the VT campus did "shake" a bit when that block occurred...as soon as I have time, I'll find you a link to that...

Thats cause your a bad ass full of knowledge. I would feel weak in your company. Seriously.

Yes I am and yes you would...now get off the internet and get back to flipping burgers...seriously...:D...

Richter. And I beat you to it. ;)

Guest zeus71
Yes I am and yes you would...now get off the internet and get back to flipping burgers...seriously...:D...

I will get off line buddy cause I have a life. I don't sit on this ignorant web site all day every day like you old man. I just responded cause I'm a big hokie fan and I've been to almost every home game in the past 19 years. It would be nice to be able to share something on this website without some old reject bad mouthing everything you say. You need a life and a career buddy. I have one and Hardees wasn't my choice. How many hours have you logged on here? You suck and your website sucks. The only place where a crowd has ever registered on a rhicter scale is death valley look it up sometime cause you got all day haus.

I don't want to get in this fight, but I do remember the blocked kick GMan is talking about, and I remember hearing that the vibration from the crowd was recorded by the seismograph on campus. I don't remember if I read it or if it was mentioned by Roth/Burnop, but I do remember it.

Edited by BigD4VT