Interesting questions...opinions wanted!

For those who are living under a rock (which this applies to most of you and of course I'm kidding) and missed the Uruguay/Ghana ending , let me give a little back story before I pose a question to you guys. With almost no time remaining in the second period of Extra Time, Ghana was awarded a penalty kick due to a handball inside the penalty box. It was blatant as Uruguay's forward swatted the ball off the goal line, denying an obvious goal. Ghana went on to miss the penalty kick, and in the end lost in a penalty kick shootout. The handball can be seen HERE! The infraction comes around the 20-22 second mark.

So here is the question I pose to you guys. Handling the ball is a penalty, and he was rightly punished and given a red card. The hand ball basically stole Ghana's victory and was blatant and on purpose. So, the question is...did Suarez (the player who handled the ball) CHEAT? He broke the rules, he didn't bend them, he flat out broke them and it allowed Uruguay to win. In my opinion, he DID NOT cheat. He was punished for his actions, and if I was in his situation, I would have done the same thing. He did what he had to do to help his team win, but broke the rules to do so. Some are calling him a cheat, some are not. Wanted to know what you guys thought about it!

For those who are living under a rock (which this applies to most of you and of course I'm kidding) and missed the Uruguay/Ghana ending , let me give a little back story before I pose a question to you guys. With almost no time remaining in the second period of Extra Time, Ghana was awarded a penalty kick due to a handball inside the penalty box. It was blatant as Uruguay's forward swatted the ball off the goal line, denying an obvious goal. Ghana went on to miss the penalty kick, and in the end lost in a penalty kick shootout. The handball can be seen HERE! The infraction comes around the 20-22 second mark.

So here is the question I pose to you guys. Handling the ball is a penalty, and he was rightly punished and given a red card. The hand ball basically stole Ghana's victory and was blatant and on purpose. So, the question is...did Suarez (the player who handled the ball) CHEAT? He broke the rules, he didn't bend them, he flat out broke them and it allowed Uruguay to win. In my opinion, he DID NOT cheat. He was punished for his actions, and if I was in his situation, I would have done the same thing. He did what he had to do to help his team win, but broke the rules to do so. Some are calling him a cheat, some are not. Wanted to know what you guys thought about it!

I don't think it's cheating any more than fouling when down by 1 in basketball to get the ball back and save a 1-possession game. Honestly, I think it's the best move in Uruguayan soccer history...

I don't think it's cheating any more than fouling when down by 1 in basketball to get the ball back and save a 1-possession game. Honestly, I think it's the best move in Uruguayan soccer history...

Well yeah it was a great move, but I've heard it being compared to Henry's hand ball in which I believe he cheated. Yes, Henry cheated. Suarez though got punished and gave Ghana a penalty. So I think it was fair.

Very good comparison. It was a sure goal if not stopped by whatever means possible. Or, for arguments sake, one could also compare it to a goal tend in basketball, therefore allowing the goal.

But see it doesn't give a goal for that infraction, it just gives a chance at a goal.

True. That's why I think the rule should be changed. A blatent hand ball when it's obvious the ball is going into the net should count as a goal, IMO. But I don't think you can label the guy as a cheat. He did what anyone in his situation should have done.

True. That's why I think the rule should be changed. A blatent hand ball when it's obvious the ball is going into the net should count as a goal, IMO. But I don't think you can label the guy as a cheat. He did what anyone in his situation should have done.

Me either...I've actually had that situation happen to me before. I wasn't the one to get the red, but another player did.

Exactly....he didn't break any rules...so he didn't cheat...he just commited a foul....and a great foul....time was basically expired...(I would compare it to being tied with Kobe Bryant about to throw down a dunk as time expires...and somebody flagrantly fouls him....at least he would have to make the free throws to win)...the only chance Uruguay had was for him to stop the ball with his hands...otherwise Uruguay loses and they're out of the world cup...at least he gave his team a chance to stop a penalty kick....the result speaks for itself....excellent play by Suarez...He'll have to miss the next game, but his team is still alive.

I saw where FIFA is considering keeping him off the field for the finals too if they reach it that far. Want to make an example.

I don't think that would be possible...they can't change the rules for one game.

This I would be fine with. Make a handball to save a goal the same as a goaltending call in basketball.

I don't think that would be possible...they can't change the rules for one game.

Well they're considering to extend it, apparently they review all red cards and determine if anything else should be done. But here is the link, read for urself.

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/blog/dirty-tackle/post/FIFA-may-extend-Suarez-match-ban-to-the-final?urn=sow,253361

This I would be fine with. Make a handball to save a goal the same as a goaltending call in basketball.

In a way, but off a goaltending you automatically get the points. I would compare it to a pass interference in the endzone. You get the ball at the 1 or whatever and you are pretty much going to score, just like a penalty kick. But you think about all this "FIFA Fair Play" and diving and flopping. And know you have this incident. Like I said, I would have done the same thing, but its flirting on stretching the rules.