Scrimmages at Mitchell Stadium...

GMan

1997 was probably the best year I have ever known for SWVA Football.

D1 State Champ Appalachia

D2 State Champ Powell Valley

D3 State Champ Gate City

D4 State Semi Appearance Lee High

The two single a champs could have beat anyone D1 through D4 by one to two TDs that year. Heck both did do that to the D3 state champ that year.

In 2007 Gretna could have won the State Title against anyone D1 through D4 and probably give the other two Divisions a run for their money.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1997 was probably the best year I have ever known for SWVA Football.

D1 State Champ Appalachia

D2 State Champ Powell Valley

D3 State Champ Gate City

D4 State Semi Appearance Lee High

The two single a champs could have beat anyone D1 through D4 by one to two TDs that year. Heck both did do that to the D3 state champ that year.

In 2007 Gretna could have won the State Title against anyone D1 through D4 and probably give the other two Divisions a run for their money.

i think big creek went to the state finals that year, and maybe i think bluefield won it that year too? west virginia i know but still

i think big creek went to the state finals that year, and maybe i think bluefield won it that year too? west virginia i know but still

Dont matter. I think of those WVA teams as locals anyways. That makes 97 even more impressive!

Correct. Bluefield won the AA State Title that year beating Grafton 42-13 and Big Creek lost the Class A State Title game 13-9 to Morefield.

Graham had a quality team that season too, going 9-3, losing all three games to eventual State Champions (lost to Bluefield 19-14, lost to Gate City 26-20 3OT, lost to Gate City 23-6).

1997 was a very good year for high school football in this area.

And Roanoke city...back when Roanoke was "the" railroad hub of southwest VA, if your kid could play ball, they found you a job and a home in Salem...

They still do that now!!! haha I work with three Salem High grads and they all say the same thing!!

It makes you lose any respect for their program!!

Edited by bhs7695

Correct. Bluefield won the AA State Title that year beating Grafton 42-13 and Big Creek lost the Class A State Title game 13-9 to Morefield.

Graham had a quality team that season too, going 9-3, losing all three games to eventual State Champions (lost to Bluefield 19-14, lost to Gate City 26-20 3OT, lost to Gate City 23-6).

1997 was a very good year for high school football in this area.

It poured snow that entire game between Bluefield and Grafton. Marshall University with Randy Moss were playing for the MAC title in Huntington too that night I believe.

Sweeney was from Pa . Thta is where you got him from !

Incorrect my friend. The Sweeney's lived in Botetourt County for several years before coming to Bluefield...Dave's older brother Mike went to Lord Botetourt his freshman year. I know this for a fact being that I was good friends with him. And, when Mr. Sweeney was "transferred" back to Roanoke, they had every intention of moving back to Botetourt Co. until it was "recommended" that they move to Salem...their house was already "picked out" for them...nice place, cross tha' tracks, south of the river, over on Mill-something Drive...

Facts are facts...

Incorrect my friend. The Sweeney's lived in Botetourt County for several years before coming to Bluefield...Dave's older brother Mike went to Lord Botetourt his freshman year. I know this for a fact being that I was good friends with him. And, when Mr. Sweeney was "transferred" back to Roanoke, they had every intention of moving back to Botetourt Co. until it was "recommended" that they move to Salem...their house was already "picked out" for them...nice place, cross tha' tracks, south of the river, over on Mill-something Drive...

Facts are facts...

I can attest to these facts tht GMan states....and GMan may recall, as I do that Dave's nickname at Graham was "E.T."...but we won't go into details about that.

i can attest to these facts tht gman states....and gman may recall, as i do that dave's nickname at graham was "e.t."...but we won't go into details about that.

lol!!!

Facts are facts...

Now I know why you like Glenn Beck complete B>s

Now I know why you like Glenn Beck complete B>s

Can't stand Glenn Beck...I think he's a loud mouth fool...reminds me a lot of a Salem poster on this board...

BTW...if you've got a Facebook account, I can hook you up with Mike and he can tell you how it all went down...can't get it any straighter than from the horses mouth...:eek:...

Can't stand Glenn Beck...I think he's a loud mouth fool...reminds me a lot of a Salem poster on this board...

BTW...if you've got a Facebook account, I can hook you up with Mike and he can tell you how it all went down...can't get it any straighter than from the horses mouth...:eek:...

this guy does not want the truth he cannot handle the truth when it comes to anything football in our area.