Scrimmages at Mitchell Stadium...

GMan

Just home, my assessment...

Richlands - Looked the best of all the teams there. Big up front, decent wideouts (#11 is the best of those), #44 is a beast on both sides of the ball (he injured his right wrist/hand/fingers in one scrimmage and did not play vs. HV in the last scrimmage...actually left without pads and had his hand/lower arm wrapped up). Running game non-existent without #44 in the game. It seems to me that the QB position is still being battled for. Defense is solid...very solid.

George Wythe - Solid squad. Not real flashy but gives 110% every play. Will likely win the Hogo in my opinion. Some young playmakers on the depth chart...bright future...

Hidden Valley - Didn't look bad but didn't look good...seem to be looking for a playmaker and had issues protecting the ball. Will likely finish in the lower half of the RRD.

Patrick Co. - Lots of size, little speed. #35, who played QB at times, and #44 who played RB were absolute loads to bring down. If they just pound the ball, they will wear down opponents and earn some wins.

Graham - Looked like a JV team, size-wise, compared to the rest...not much size but pretty decent speed. Potential is there but needs some experience (and size) to reach it. Very scrappy...flashed moments of brilliance but also moments of "WTF" on both sides of the ball...but that can be expected from a young team. Future is bright but could be a long final season in AA...

Anyone see it differently???

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty much as I saw things...Richlands should make a run deep into the playoffs, they are huge and loaded with talent (One of the biggest teams I've seen a high school team field around these parts)..Graham looked very young and inexperienced, but the future looks good for Graham for maybe next year or the one after that. This year, starting with bluefield and cave spring may break the spirit of those young kids, but I would expect Graham to win about half of their games this season...5-5 for such a young team would be a succesful season, I think...

Graham's QB has a decent arm and was really putting his passes on target, had a few dropped balls that could've went for decent gains...a couple of long passes, including a long td pass. Got a little speed in the backfield, but Graham will probably get blown off of the line of scrimmage against the more senior laden teams. Defense still appears a little "soft"...and may get steamrolled against more physical teams than the ones they scrimmaged today.

Austin Johnson will be the most explosive receiver for Richlands. Didn't see it tonight, but tje kid is awesome...just ask Cave Spring

What number was he wearing tonight?

Austin spent a lot of time in the backfield where they plan to use him some. #11 is Sean Overton. He was good last year but he has still improved a lot. #44 is Devon Johnson. He turned that one kid into a missle. If I hadn't bailed when I did he probably would have left a hole in my chest.

Austin spent a lot of time in the backfield where they plan to use him some. #11 is Sean Overton. He was good last year but he has still improved a lot. #44 is Devon Johnson. He turned that one kid into a missle. If I hadn't bailed when I did he probably would have left a hole in my chest.

Yeh, I saw that! Didn't know you could move that fast! LOL And that was a heck of a hit he put on that kid. #44 was the best player on the field tonight...period...any word on his injury?

As for #8...didn't notice him much tonight...I guess it could be because they were trying him at different positions. I'll hold my judgment on him until I see him in real action.

Coaches were saying he just jammed his finger. He went to the hospital for an x-ray as a precaution.

I talked to one of the coaches after and he said it was nothing to worry about. Thought it was just jammed but they wanted to be careful.

The blues looked very good ! The 1st team D was just great and I don't think anybody moved the ball against them with any consistency.

Devon #44 was really just a man among boys out there tonight on both sides of the ball ! When somebody would try to tackle him he would lower his shoulder pads and just run them over ! He just thumped people out there. If he can stay healthy he will dominate this year. The line is big and do their jobs well.

I thought #9 Cody L. looked good at times at QB and a little off at times throwing the ball. But it was his first scrimmage in a new offense for him so I think he will be ok. He is a good athlete and can run with the ball if he gets a chance. I thought Reese looked pretty good at QB also ! I think they will be fine with either at QB. They have several play makers at the receiver spot. It's gonna be hard to cover #11 Overton and #8 Austin and #1 ( can't remember his name....sorry ) made some nice catches and runs also. Austin played in the backfield some tonight and he didn't get many balls thrown at him. I think as they get farther into practice and Cody and Reese get more comfortable in the offense the throwing & timing will get better. They both have good arms.

Richlands D was just fantastic. The D line is big and into the backfield most of the night regardless who they played, and everybody else just flies to the ball.

Bottom line is, they are big and have some speed and looked pretty good for the first scrimmage.

Of course I am a blues fan so I maybe looking through rose color glasses....LOL ! But I don't think that any team there would have been able to play with them in a real game situation.

They can go a long way in the playoffs, but they need to stay healthy. One or 2 key injuries and I think they will still win the district, but may not make as long a run in the playoffs.

I agree with Gman on his assessment of the other teams.

Edited by Bigrhsfan

Of course I am a blues fan so I maybe looking through rose color glasses....LOL !

Nope, those rose color glasses have nothing to do with it...the Blues look pretty darn good.

Personally, I think there is more potential with the lefty at QB...just my $.02...

#1 ( can't remember his name....sorry ) made some nice catches and runs also.

#1 is Bradley Strong

Thanks man, I should have known that. It was late when i posted that and my mind was just not working.....LOL. Of course my wife says it never works...lol

Nope, those rose color glasses have nothing to do with it...the Blues look pretty darn good.

Personally, I think there is more potential with the lefty at QB...just my $.02...

Yea I agree with you on that. Cody has a little stronger arm and is a stronger runner and also has more experience at QB than Reese. But Reese didn't look bad and if there is any kind of problem with Cody then I think Reese could take over and they wouldn't miss much !

how did the big man on the O-Line look for Richlands? did they get a mean streak in that boy yet?

He looked pretty good ! Don't know about a mean streak yet, but he did pretty well.

I thought both lines did pretty good, but would like to see the O line do a little better job at run blocking. The D line looked really good. Devon was able to do pretty much what ever he wanted, but the rest of the backs didn't have a lot of success.

But it's still just the 1st scrimmage and they will be fine. They are so big, but also pretty athletic for their size........on both sides of the ball.

Did I mention how big they are ?.........LOL !

I watched them practice a couple of times but I was still a little surprised at how big they look. Maybe I was just comparing them to the other teams that were there last night.

Edited by Bigrhsfan

What were the GW results. Heard they beat Richlands and split with Graham? Idk though.

I'm not sure what the score was against Richlands, I think GW scored 1 and the blues scored 1, but, and I'm not making excuses here, but the blues didn't play many of their starters. Devon started for 1 play and that was the play were he jammed his thumb and our 3rd string QB played almost the whole set along with mostly backup linemen and backs.

The 2nd and 3rd string D was who GW scored on.

But that being said, I don't know how many of GW's players were starters either. There was a fan from GW sitting behind me that talked like they had about all of their starters in because they are very young and need the reps.

But I have no idea.

GW look like they had some good athletes and had some speed at the skill positions , but they looked a little inexperienced and a little small in some spots but i think they will be a pretty good team . They will be dangerous in their district.

Very young team, but VERY talented.

I agree ! I thought at times they looked pretty good. At times they looked a little out of place, but that happens early and with young teams.

They did look athletic and quick.

Like I said earlier, when they get a little more experience they will be a good team ! Their quickness will give some teams fits !

What were the GW results. Heard they beat Richlands and split with Graham? Idk though.

GW's 1st teamers went up against Richlands and HV subs, tying with Richlands and beating HV. Their 2nd teamers also got some action vs. HV and PC subs and did pretty well. First teamers did pretty good vs. PC too. I missed the first go-round between GW-Graham but the second go-round, both teams played 1st teamers in their 1st 10-play set with each scoring once on long pass plays. I didn't stick around for the second set of plays.

GW is a scrappy bunch. They really get after the ball on D but they aren't too flashy on O. It did look like they've got some young kids with speed and talent on the 2nd team that will really make some noise in the next couple of years. I don't understand why a couple of them are not starters on offense as the 1st team looks like it could use a bit of speed on the corners.

GW will be fine this year. Not sure what Chilhowie has this season but GW should roll through the Hogo...sorry, Holston fans, you had your 15-minutes last year...

Of the five teams at the scrimmage, I would rank GW as the 2nd best team there.

First of all , based upon what you said , Richlands got a little practice but really did not show anything because they were not challenged . They played a small aa team soon to go to single a graham . a single a team George Wythe , and a Hidden Valley team that has to replace most of their offense . Also, it was a early season scrimmage . Those teams with most question marks will try more things . Richlands was supposed to look more impressive than these teams and they did . This is not an indictment against Richlands but , in fact , a reality that under Greg Mance Richlands down years other teams would be proud of . Let them look this impressive against Christiansburg in a scrimmage and maybe I would get excited . My earlier observations of Richlands 2010 version were to say the Blue Tornadoes will be among top two in region 4 among division 3 , with Cave Spring the only team that May have a chance . Their competition will not come until Cave Spring and then possibly after that in region 3 . that is not to say they will not have challenges during the season with a very good single a team a la Gate City or a Powell Valley and not an indictment against this scrimmage because you still have to line up and practice . A lot of times in scrimmages you do not know how good your competition will be or how much you will improve .

First of all , based upon what you said , Richlands got a little practice but really did not show anything because they were not challenged . They played a small aa team soon to go to single a graham . a single a team George Wythe , and a Hidden Valley team that has to replace most of their offense . Also, it was a early season scrimmage . Those teams with most question marks will try more things . Richlands was supposed to look more impressive than these teams and they did . This is not an indictment against Richlands but , in fact , a reality that under Greg Mance Richlands down years other teams would be proud of . Let them look this impressive against Christiansburg in a scrimmage and maybe I would get excited . My earlier observations of Richlands 2010 version were to say the Blue Tornadoes will be among top two in region 4 among division 3 , with Cave Spring the only team that May have a chance . Their competition will not come until Cave Spring and then possibly after that in region 3 . that is not to say they will not have challenges during the season with a very good single a team a la Gate City or a Powell Valley and not an indictment against this scrimmage because you still have to line up and practice . A lot of times in scrimmages you do not know how good your competition will be or how much you will improve .

No offense, but I have never understood how anyone can make an "observation" without actually observing...

Thanks for letting us all know that it was only a scrimmage. I mean GMan and others thought they were observing size, speed, and physical ability, but being from SW Virginia and all, I'm sure they didn't realize the players will be smaller, slower, and less physical in a real game against real competition...