Ideas for new dollar designs...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/721294

I kinda like these new designs especially the idea to turn the bills vertical (of course, I'm no Obama fan, but that'll be enough on that topic). They say that this will help revitalize the economy a little (more people will want to get their hands on this money and spend it) and it will further help fight counterfeiting. I think we should do it. Other nations' money looks really good compared to ours. We need to try something really different, like they did with the Euro. But unfortunately, I don't see this happening anytime soon if ever. They still have to petition for it and get it through Congress and all that other mess. The fact that it might help the economy and help fight counterfeiting will get it a little ways, then it'll just die somewhere.

BTW, while we're on the topic of money, has anyone else noticed that the only thing they haven't redesigned is the dime? I mean, they did all the bills, came out with an insane amount of different quarters that they are still making, a bunch of new nickels, and recently 4 new penny designs. When will it be the dime's turn (or did they figure "let's apply 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' to at least one piece of our money")?

they figure a certain percentage of each of the new designs as collectors items and some are sold directly from the mint as such...thats free money for them...the more they print of it that is not actually in circulation the more they make...this latest redesign round has started a lot of people collecting money again...it was a smart move for the USA...which is why they keep doing it.

BTW, does anyone know how much money our Government WASTES in redesigning money????

I hope that they turn a profit on some of the redesigns. I think that is the goal. Turn our coins that are collected and not recirculated. I know I have 50 state quarters that won't get recirculated.

Boooo, we better not go to a different sized bill system. South Africa did that. It's really annoying for us who are anal about the bills being lined up and facing the same way in our wallets.

(That's probably the least significant of gripes I could have about this... But it still sucks)

Wouldn't diff. sizes actually make that easier?

the problem is that every vending machine in the world that takes the US Dollar would have to be re-done...you will never see different sized money from what we have as a result...thats why every Dollar Coin they make has to match up to the Susan B Anthony size restrictions and you will never see the old huge Silver Dollar and Half Dollar coins again.

The main reason they say they want the different size is for blind folks...

the problem is that every vending machine in the world that takes the US Dollar would have to be re-done...you will never see different sized money from what we have as a result...thats why every Dollar Coin they make has to match up to the Susan B Anthony size restrictions and you will never see the old huge Silver Dollar and Half Dollar coins again.

The main reason they say they want the different size is for blind folks...

Then put braille on the new bills that are printed yearly. Should solve everything.

Seems like the braille would "wear down" pretty quickly. Considering how much bills are handled.

they could actually accomplish the same thing by putting holes in the dollars...gov wont do it for some reason and they have even been in court over it...not sure why they wont.

they could actually accomplish the same thing by putting holes in the dollars...gov wont do it for some reason and they have even been in court over it...not sure why they wont.

Ah! Didn't think about that.

But then people could just be mean and mess around with the holes to throw blind people off.