Richlands and Salem

salemfootball

Salem has the highest points rating in the state although that to me does not mean anything .

Richlands and Salem are tied for third in the AP poll .

Richlands has a chance to do some damage in the playoffs in my opinion . One reason is their coach has been there before . Salem , on the other hand , will continue to get better . I believe they can play with anybody and Maghenbauer does a good job of not running up the score . If there is a huge lead , like in the Byrd game , he empties the bench , not necessarily to lower the score but give other kids a chance to play and build depth and get a chance to see younger players . The second string quarterback played the whole fourth quarter and a lot of sophomores got a chance to play .

Salem has the highest points rating in the state although that to me does not mean anything .

Richlands and Salem are tied for third in the AP poll .

Richlands has a chance to do some damage in the playoffs in my opinion . One reason is their coach has been there before . Salem , on the other hand , will continue to get better . I believe they can play with anybody and Maghenbauer does a good job of not running up the score . If there is a huge lead , like in the Byrd game , he empties the bench , not necessarily to lower the score but give other kids a chance to play and build depth and get a chance to see younger players . The second string quarterback played the whole fourth quarter and a lot of sophomores got a chance to play .

Mance does the same at Richlands. We have had 2 games were out starters were pulled at halftime and 1 of those our starters were pulled with 5 minutes left in the second quarter. I don't think more than 14 points or so has been honest scores against our starting defense.

Mance does the same at Richlands. We have had 2 games were out starters were pulled at halftime and 1 of those our starters were pulled with 5 minutes left in the second quarter. I don't think more than 14 points or so has been honest scores against our starting defense.

That builds depth and consistent play for the future .

I think Salem is a dynasty! Richlands is catching up quickly but has not achieved a dynasty rating. Both teams have a chance to go a long way. They need to remain focused on the task at hand and not look to the future. I would love to see each win in all!

That's one thing that makes both programs good year after year. They both play a lot of people and that helps to get the next group ready !

Both teams also have great coaching staffs and great community support !

I know I'm suppose to dislike Salem a lot and I have to admit that there have been times I have, but at the same time, I have a lot of respect for the success they have had over the years. I now find myself not disliking them like I use to....lol.

Edited by Bigrhsfan

I agree you look at the scores some weeks and they put up alot of points but its a one and done. that is in not playing younger kids and just woried about the score for that week. thats not how to build a dynasty like salem and i would not be going to far to say richlands.

go big blue do not over look the dogs:p

When you win consistently over a period of time and consistently in the hunt then other programs will try to bring you down to their level . Richlands , in my opinion , is to that point . When you talk about Richlands and division 3 most coaches dread playing them because they know the talent will vary but the tornadoes will give everything they have . And you better be ready for a physical brand of football .

you think salem @cburg will be the game of the season? think we'll play twice again? dose anyone else match up to us in region 3. harrisonburg maybe amherst won't make it tha far.

That will be a great game between you 2 ! If Richlands were not playing that week i would go watch that game, but the blues will be playing so I guess I'll just have to read about it here...lol.

Good luck to both of your teams for the rest of the year !

Richlands had to pull the starters at halftime becasue their non district schedule includes nothing but single A teams. Not taking anything away from those teams but they just can't keep up with the size, speed and depth that Richlands has. I would love to see Richlands play a tougher schedule in the future. I think it would only help them come playoff time.

Pulaski is on probation can't make the playoffs. Is Magna Vista that good ?RHSfan If the games were still on tv I would send you a copy of it.I would like to see richlands do the come anywhere close to nrv?

Pulaski is on probation can't make the playoffs. Is Magna Vista that good ?RHSfan If the games were still on tv I would send you a copy of it.I would like to see richlands do the come anywhere close to nrv?

Not until next year.

Richlands had to pull the starters at halftime becasue their non district schedule includes nothing but single A teams. Not taking anything away from those teams but they just can't keep up with the size, speed and depth that Richlands has. I would love to see Richlands play a tougher schedule in the future. I think it would only help them come playoff time.

Richlands is also a few students away from being single A. Number wise Richlands and the single A teams they play are not that far apart. I do agree with your last sentence.

Edited by mrb

You are right what good is it to go 10 and 0 every year and win the district and region then lose in the playoffs. They are on a 6 soon to be 7 in a row district championships. I'm sure Coach Mance would trade a loss or two in the regular season for another state championship

You are right what good is it to go 10 and 0 every year and win the district and region then lose in the playoffs. They are on a 6 soon to be 7 in a row district championships. I'm sure Coach Mance would trade a loss or two in the regular season for another state championship

The "Single-A" argument doesn't hold water. The weakness of the Richlands schedule is the SWD. Not the non-district slate. Gate City and Powell Valley have beat Richlands more in the past six years (four times) than the entire SWD combined (one time.) As for losing in the playoffs, they have lost one Region playoff game in 6 years. At the state level they are 4-4 with one state championship.

is very good and presents matchup problems they are very quick .

Does anybody know if the game next year with Honaker has been put back on the schedule. There has been some talk that the Honaker series was back on again but I have not heard anymore about it .

We keep hearing about how the single A schools hurt us in the playoffs, but we seem to be able to hold our own when we play these other teams in the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, I want to see more double A schools on our schedule also but I think people away from here sell some of these teams short. A couple of those single A teams ( Gate City & Powell Valley ) have shown over the years that they have as good a team/program as anybody anywhere. Powell seems to be a little down this year, but most years both them and the City are as good as any D3 and a lot of D4 teams.

The only "bad" loss in the playoffs for us was against Brookville year before last and I don't know if anything could have helped us there....lol

I do like the fact that we play a tougher schedule next year though. I just wish we had next years schedule with this years team.