Wow, a surprising positive for Bluefield...

All this means is that the Bluefield City Board of Directors/Mayor/City Manager will now assume that the City's residents have more money and they'll find some new fee or tax to hit us with...so they can plant more flowers or install another water fountain or something just as worthless. Also, I can't wait to see how they are going to blow the $5million the City is going to get from the sale of the Hospital...

All this means is that the Bluefield City Board of Directors/Mayor/City Manager will now assume that the City's residents have more money and they'll find some new fee or tax to hit us with...so they can plant more flowers or install another water fountain or something just as worthless. Also, I can't wait to see how they are going to blow the $5million the City is going to get from the sale of the Hospital...

I'm not this pessimistic, but municipalities LOVE to misuse/abuse stats like these, no matter how minimally positive. I'm happy to see this for Bluefield and Mercer County, but we need much, much more.

"The study also found the median income in Bluefield increased by $256 from $33,398 in 2008 to $33,654 in 2009 while the median income decreased for the majority of the state. The median income for the state in 2009 was $37,435, down $554 from the previous year, putting Bluefield’s median income higher than the state average."

How is a median income of $33,398 higher than the rest of the state at $37,435???

the only thing I can figure is that median and average are not the same thing. Maybe it was just poorly explained.

Usually the median is just the number that lies exactly in the middle of a range of numbers. The average (mean) is figured when all the numbers are added together and the divided by the total number. In this case all the incomes would be added together and divided by the number surveyed.

I find averages more useful than medians.

Usually the median is just the number that lies exactly in the middle of a range of numbers. The average (mean) is figured when all the numbers are added together and the divided by the total number. In this case all the incomes would be added together and divided by the number surveyed.

I find averages more useful than medians.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. But the way they word it, it isn't clear whether they actually meant average, or if they interchanged median and average mistakenly.

If they actually meant average, then one would think they would give the average income for the state. But then again...it is the BDT.

Agreed

GMan, maybe some of the $5 million can pave the parking lot at Mitchell Stadium. As a WV taxpayer you should pass that on the her highness.

Or fix a frickin pot hole the size of a buick or plow my street at least once every decade when it snows!!