Abingdon at Grundy

Lance

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abingdon might be down from the loss to Carroll County.....but I think it will be a really close game...on the other hand Abingdon is about triple the size school of Grundy

lol. nice.....but i do hate the cc refs, i remember when we lost something like 42-2 my senior year, one of the deputies came up to me and my mom and apologized for how bad they were. funny stuff......but im hoping to make this one. love to see grundy beat the crap of the birds. Hope the qb is alright though.

ill take grundy 27, birds 20.

lol. nice.....but i do hate the cc refs, i remember when we lost something like 42-2 my senior year, one of the deputies came up to me and my mom and apologized for how bad they were. funny stuff......but im hoping to make this one. love to see grundy beat the crap of the birds. Hope the qb is alright though.

ill take grundy 27, birds 20.

they have since swithced to using the same refs the rest of the SWD uses, as far as I know they still do.

what did you find that chiseled in stone in a cave

We are going to run through you like a dose of salts. All of south holston lake could freeze over and there wouldn't be enough ice for the Canaries on Saturday morning. The only way Abingdon wins this game is if a band competition brakes out at half time.

We are going to run through you like a dose of salts. All of south holston lake could freeze over and there wouldn't be enough ice for the Canaries on Saturday morning. The only way Abingdon wins this game is if a band competition brakes out at half time.

hey the Wave band is sounding pretty good this year...and they should have the fuzzy hats on this week...so...that might be a good halftime throw down lol.

There would be quite a few golden auroras out here on the lake, more than you'd think, I rep grundy big time out here

I can't believe all the trash talking , you would never hear a Falcon doing this. If this keeps up we will put no trespassing signs up for Grundians on our lake.

Im sure we could go back to any thread that has Abingdon in it and find plenty of trash from you, southboud, and falconman.

I can't believe all the trash talking , you would never hear a Falcon doing this. If this keeps up we will put no trespassing signs up for Grundians on our lake.

now thats no way to treat your neighbors.u let them get on our lake and have fun,but its probally gonna be a bit cool now.lol

http://www2.tricities.com/sports/2010/oct/14/prep-football-abingdons-ben-coleman-follows-family-ar-564101/

PREP FOOTBALL: Abingdon's Ben Coleman follows family tradition

By Allen Gregory

Published: October 14, 2010

ABINGDON, Va. --

The Abingdon High School football coaches and players have spent the past week on a research project.

The Falcons have studied tape, discovered tendencies and highlighted areas of concern with the Grundy Golden Wave.

It’s a topic that Ben Coleman is well versed on.

Junior Coleman, Ben’s father, was a star running back at Grundy in the early 1980s. Several other family members also played for the Golden Wave.

Naturally, Coleman will have extra incentive for tonight’s homecoming game in Grundy.

"There are a few guys on our team with Grundy connections," Coleman said. "It means a lot to all of us to go over there and play well."

Tonight’s game will be much more than a family reunion. The Falcons (3-3, 1-2) need a win to keep their playoff hopes alive while resurgent Grundy (6-0, 2-0) is hungry for the Southwest District title.

As a senior, Junior Coleman guided Grundy to a 14-7 victory over Abingdon. After rushing for well over 1,000 yards, Junior found his niche at Montana Tech where he earned a variety of honors as a running back in the NAIA Frontier Conference.

Ralph Coleman, Ben’s grandfather, starred for the Golden Wave in the early 1960s. Ben now wears the same No. 25 jersey favored by his father and grandfather.

"I’ve heard stories about what my father did as a player. He has a few trophies lying around in the basement, but all that was nearly 20 years ago," Ben Coleman said.

Abingdon football fans expected big things from Ben after his older brother Braden excelled as a running back for the Falcons. Braden currently attends the prestigious Berklee College of Music in Boston.

"Braden loves football, but his real passion is music," Coleman said. "I play the guitar in my church. Braden is more artsy, though."

For the past three years, Ben Coleman has created some heavy metal music as the starting middle linebacker for the Falcons. The 6-foot-1, 195-pound senior recorded a team-high 11 tackles in last week’s 28-3 loss at Carroll County.

"I play some fullback on offense, but I’m just better suited for other positions," Coleman said. "It really doesn’t matter where I play. I just want to help my team."

That type of selfless attitude is one reason why the AHS coaches and players look up to their co-captain. As the centerpiece of the AHS defense, Coleman is responsible for making sure his teammates are in the correct alignment.

"Ben is not real vocal. He just kind of goes about his business and the other players look up to him," AHS head coach John Bowles said. "A lot of the kids on our defense have been playing together for a couple years, and they feel pretty good about what they are doing."

According to AHS senior quarterback Jake Hess, Coleman sets the tone for the Falcons with his hustle and attitude.

"Ben always puts the team before himself," Hess said. "He’s a great linebacker, hard worker and good athlete. Ben doesn’t look fast, but I wouldn’t want to get hit by him."

Hess and senior receiver Logan Elswick are the other AHS players with Buchanan County roots. Elswick is a former player in the Grundy system, and his father Curtis played with Junior Coleman at Grundy.

"We understand the type of kids Grundy has," Coleman said. "Those guys love to hit. And no matter what type of team Grundy has, they always come out ready to play."

Coleman’s ties to Grundy run deep. He is a cousin to former Grundy state wrestling champions Ethan Owens and Albert Childress. Ben’s great uncle, Hufford, played football at the University of Kentucky after starring for Grundy.

"I will have a lot of family and friends at Friday’s game, but that doesn’t change anything," Coleman said. "We’re still going to try and beat them."

And Coleman is eager to help make a bigger statement for the Falcons’ football program.

"Abingdon always has the stereotype for having rich kids who have been given everything. We’re doing our best to prove that’s not true," Coleman said. "No matter what happens, we want to let every team know that we play hard and hit hard here."

Coleman said he plans to draw off the example of his father tonight while authoring his own chapter in the family legacy.

"My father was a good player at Grundy, but I’m sure he will be on the Abingdon side for this game."

agregory@bristolnews.com | Twitter: @Greg_BHCSports | (276) 645-2544

Life has many choices---eternity two