Apology for comment on refs

Bigrhsfan

I just wanted to make a public apology for a comment I made about the refs after the Richlands/Abingdon game.

The jest of the comment was that " it seemed like the refs had an agenda ".

I have thought about that comment for a while now and thought it was time to make the apology on here. The thread is gone and I can't take back something that I should not have said, but i do want to apologize to any of the refs that belong to this forum. Although I don't agree with some of the calls made ( what fan does ) that comment was out of line !

I know what a hard job you guys have and you do the best you can and mistakes happen. I have a family member that refs games in Maryland and a friend that refs here, and I know what a tough job it is.

That was the first time I had ever made a negative comment about the refs on here and it WILL be my last.

I also want to apologize to the other Richlands fans on here for that comment also as it made the rest of the fan base look bad also. I try to be careful about what I post, but I let my emotions get the best of me on that one.

You aight man, despite what Southbound says bout you, you aight. Classy post. But, I just hope you are around in a couple of years when my cousin plays varsity. You boys in nader land will hate the Falcons for sure! Just sayin:D

I think that is a big post and I like what you said. We all are guilty for letting our emotions get involved with the posts. I felt like both sides were to blame with some things. We have to remember they are teenagers and they are not always going to make the best decision even the best ones. I couldn’t do their job. It’s hard to do and it takes years to figure it out. Just think most of these guy work a full time job then travel to ref a game after a 40 plus hour work week. It’s like expecting a player to look smooth and fresh after second session of their third day of two a days.

Guest StoneyCalhoun
As a whole I still think officiating has gone down the drain any more

Fix it then. Go put your money where your mouth is.

I just wanted to make a public apology for a comment I made about the refs after the Richlands/Abingdon game.

The jest of the comment was that " it seemed like the refs had an agenda ".

I have thought about that comment for a while now and thought it was time to make the apology on here. The thread is gone and I can't take back something that I should not have said, but i do want to apologize to any of the refs that belong to this forum. Although I don't agree with some of the calls made ( what fan does ) that comment was out of line !

I know what a hard job you guys have and you do the best you can and mistakes happen. I have a family member that refs games in Maryland and a friend that refs here, and I know what a tough job it is.

That was the first time I had ever made a negative comment about the refs on here and it WILL be my last.

I also want to apologize to the other Richlands fans on here for that comment also as it made the rest of the fan base look bad also. I try to be careful about what I post, but I let my emotions get the best of me on that one.

Very well put! We all are guilty of this.

well i for one think the refs let that game get out of hand and several of the players could have gotten hurt because of the refs. I have did their job before and it is not an easy one to do, however that game was bad for both teams.

Guest StoneyCalhoun
Whats that even mean? How do you know I already am not an offical?

If you are, become a interpreter and teach others, or go to some camps and teach/learn.

I don't know if officiating has gone up or down in Virginia, but changes can be made, so why not do them?

Otherwise, do any of us have a reason to complain when we are the solution to the problem???

I think officiating varies throughout the state. None of the associations are ran the same with on or off the field training and some use crews while others just mix guys every week. The associations also are different with using anywhere from 5-7 man crews on Friday nights.

awful,i see many missed calls..if they dont wanna ref then dont..they get payed..so u tellin me the next time i screw somethin up that i can say..well,i worked 40 plus hrs..come on guys..i know we all are humans but in the last 5 yrs its got worse and worse.i saw bad calls on both sides of the ball at the last chilhowie game and they blew that last call..it was a bad call because i was with a ex ref who told me it was a bad call.i'm not from chilhowie but right is right..

refs were bad again at the richlands vs lebanon game this week. missed a bunch of calls both ways. the heavy one (same as in the Abingdon vs richlands game) needs to give it up. He don't understand the game of football

Just wondering, why does the ref always need to be the one to give it up. If enough people "give it up" then who does that leave to ref the night in and a night out the terrible football games in our area. The close games are usually between 2 teams that really can't play. If you put your best officials on those games then you have no one to do your Richlands, Gate City and Clintwood games. From what I've heard our area is short on officials as it is. So if you HB Burke or anyone else think they can call a game as well or better, then get out there and do it. You get paid.

You are lucky to have some of the refs you have out there. It could be a lot worse. It could be better true. But honestly night in and night out how bad is it really. The officials are never going to cost Richlands, Gate City or Clintwood a single game. The teams that are likely to win, usually do and by a lot. So a questionable hold here or pass interference there, hasn't hurt the team that should win. Not yet and probably won't.

agree to a point but there needs to be more quality and consistancy. Too often bad calls lead to tempers on the players getting out of control which leads to injuries, momentum changes and fan conflict. I have seen that crew ref two games and they by far are much worse than the normal refs you have. I have never voiced an oppinion on the refs until this year. And yes i have did it before and it is not an easy job but like any other job if you are not qualified then don't do it. I am sure there are quality folks out there willing to ref games but like most things in this area it is all political and it is who you know and not what you know when it comes to getting that job or not.