Marrs on the hot seat

battleftbl

Just curious.... Tazewell is having a down year. If they beat Graham and finished 1-9...... assuming that Graham doesnt pull off some wins in the last few weeks.....would a loss this week be enough to create a head coaching vacancy at Graham?

Just curious.... Tazewell is having a down year. If they beat Graham and finished 1-9...... assuming that Graham doesnt pull off some wins in the last few weeks.....would a loss this week be enough to create a head coaching vacancy at Graham?

A lot of fans in Bluefield are sure hoping so, but I don't know if it will. Maybe going 0-10 and the faithful very unhappy......maybe, but I think it will take him stepping down. If the fans are unhappy enough and make enough noise.......maybe.

No. Not with Marrs himself as the AD and O'Neal as principal. We need donors/school board involvement to rid ourselves of this plague. The second will almost certainly not happen, unless the school board gets angry enough about Marrs giving the gate up. Thus, IMO, people in Bluefield who are sick and tired of it are going to have to open up their wallets and "buy out" Marrs if they want him gone.

There really aren't any donors left at Graham are there? The boosters are down to a handful of people each..if that. And if Marrs leaves we may end up with WeeCee which would be 1000 times worse. I would only be happy to see both go.

You could get a group of boosters together to say: "We'll give you $20K toward the Graham football program, if you insert X as head coach and remove A, B, C, and D from the program". That way, you can rid yourselves of whom you want.

Pricey, yes. But the ONLY way you're getting something done minus O'Neal pulling a Benedict Arnold.

Heard a group of parents were at school board meeting the other night and brought up Marrs giving Princeton football gate as well as leaving band boosters out of a concession. Heard that Graham made $23 K from Bluefield gate. What happens to that money?? I know it don't go to their middle school football team when they played us last year they were wearing old uniforms that jerseys were to big and looked like what 89' state team wore and helmets looked real old. You think they could at least give a little money to their middle school program, but i guess when you need a game helmet and practice helmet both of which are nicer than anything the middle school team wears there is just not enough money to go around. Makes you wonder though how much money does he have in football account if he can give up a gate.

I've heard that at least one major contributor to the boosters won't contribute to football anymore, I believe it to be true, because I trust this person who told me this info. They still donate to GHS sports, but if one dime of it goes to football, they will not donate another cent.

Doesn't all funds go through the athletic department?

Yes, and all funds are spent at the discretion of the AD...ask all the other sports at GHS how much their "budget" is...

There really aren't any donors left at Graham are there? The boosters are down to a handful of people each..if that. And if Marrs leaves we may end up with WeeCee which would be 1000 times worse. I would only be happy to see both go.

It is really sad the same thing is happening here not one wants to put their name to a losing program....We are joking at the Tazewell game they would always throw out stuff to the crowd no one sponsers that stuff any more

Football is the money maker....some sports get nothing....when I played soccer in high school we got jerseys and thats it we had to buy our shorts and socks for our uniforms

However, it does not matter what sports make the money. Didn't GMan say that the money goes into the athletic fund and is spent at the discretion of the A.D. who in this instance is also a football coach. Sounds like the A.D. may show some favortism of funds to football. Also who paid for your soccer balls and goals? Give a baseball coach $500 bats and baseballs are not cheap. I'm not a baseball guy but i'm sure someone can give us a price. Or chalk to paint the field, money to pay for hats. Also if they really wanted to push it and get into how athletic funds are being dispursed by the football coach/Athletic Director, i'm sure a parent of a daughter could ask to see the finances after they use the term Title IX.

However, it does not matter what sports make the money. Didn't GMan say that the money goes into the athletic fund and is spent at the discretion of the A.D. who in this instance is also a football coach. Sounds like the A.D. may show some favortism of funds to football. Also who paid for your soccer balls and goals? Give a baseball coach $500 bats and baseballs are not cheap. I'm not a baseball guy but i'm sure someone can give us a price. Or chalk to paint the field, money to pay for hats. Also if they really wanted to push it and get into how athletic funds are being dispursed by the football coach/Athletic Director, i'm sure a parent of a daughter could ask to see the finances after they use the term Title IX.

The AD shows favoritism to football because the AD and football HC are one and the same at Graham. Hence, why so many who love Graham football are pissed off at the literal racket D. Marrs has going on there.

But you know, I like the way you're thinking here with regards to Title IX. The text reads: "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance...". The key phrases here are "on the basis of sex" and "be denied the benefits of".

Courts have given Title IX a three-prong test since the Carter Administration:

(1) Providing athletic participation opportunities that are substantially proportionate to the student enrollment, OR

(2) Demonstrate a continual expansion of athletic opportunities for the underrepresented sex, OR

(3) Full and effective accommodation of the interest and ability of underrepresented sex.

I think that you could prove to a court that if the funds are diverted, (1) and (3) may be properly satisfied.

I did a little more digging, and here are the factors that the Department of Education considers for the prongs of a Title IX claim:

(1) Whether the selection of sports and levels of competition effectively accommodate the interests and abilities of members of both sexes.

(2) The provision of equipment and supplies

(3) Scheduling of games and practice time

(4) Travel and per diem allowance

(5) Opportunity to receive coaching and academic tutoring on mathematics only

(6) Assignment and compensation of coaches and tutors.

(7) Provision of locker rooms, practice and competitive facilities

(8) Provision of medical and training facilities and services

(9) Provision of housing and dining facilities and services

(10) Publicity

(11) Unequal aggregate expenditures for members of each sex or unequal expenditures for male and female teams if a recipient operates or sponsors separate teams will not constitute noncompliance with this section, but the Assistant Secretary [of Education for Civil Rights] may consider the failure to provide necessary funds for teams for one sex in assessing equality of opportunity for members of each sex.

This gets a little juicy if D. Marrs is diverting a greater than appropriate amount of money to football. #2, #10, and #11 could come into play. Specifically, let's focus on #2 and #11. A concerned parent of a young lady could fairly easily do a FOIA request on GHS's athletic ledgers and get those records; otherwise, a lawyer could compel it in litigation. If there's a noticeable difference (most courts look for around 80%) in the funds given to male and female athletics, you just might be able to scare O'Neal and/or the TCSB into removing Marrs from the AD position. And if the people in Bluefield work this leverage, they may be able to force him out of the football program altogether and put who they want in the AD/HC positions.

I'm talking to you, boosters...

The AD shows favoritism to football because the AD and football HC are one and the same at Graham. Hence, why so many who love Graham football are pissed off at the literal racket D. Marrs has going on there.

But you know, I like the way you're thinking here with regards to Title IX. The text reads: "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance...". The key phrases here are "on the basis of sex" and "be denied the benefits of".

Courts have given Title IX a three-prong test since the Carter Administration:

(1) Providing athletic participation opportunities that are substantially proportionate to the student enrollment, OR

(2) Demonstrate a continual expansion of athletic opportunities for the underrepresented sex, OR

(3) Full and effective accommodation of the interest and ability of underrepresented sex.

I think that you could prove to a court that if the funds are diverted, (1) and (3) may be properly satisfied.

I did a little more digging, and here are the factors that the Department of Education considers for the prongs of a Title IX claim:

(1) Whether the selection of sports and levels of competition effectively accommodate the interests and abilities of members of both sexes.

(2) The provision of equipment and supplies

(3) Scheduling of games and practice time

(4) Travel and per diem allowance

(5) Opportunity to receive coaching and academic tutoring on mathematics only

(6) Assignment and compensation of coaches and tutors.

(7) Provision of locker rooms, practice and competitive facilities

(8) Provision of medical and training facilities and services

(9) Provision of housing and dining facilities and services

(10) Publicity

(11) Unequal aggregate expenditures for members of each sex or unequal expenditures for male and female teams if a recipient operates or sponsors separate teams will not constitute noncompliance with this section, but the Assistant Secretary [of Education for Civil Rights] may consider the failure to provide necessary funds for teams for one sex in assessing equality of opportunity for members of each sex.

This gets a little juicy if D. Marrs is diverting a greater than appropriate amount of money to football. #2, #10, and #11 could come into play. Specifically, let's focus on #2 and #11. A concerned parent of a young lady could fairly easily do a FOIA request on GHS's athletic ledgers and get those records; otherwise, a lawyer could compel it in litigation. If there's a noticeable difference (most courts look for around 80%) in the funds given to male and female athletics, you just might be able to scare O'Neal and/or the TCSB into removing Marrs from the AD position. And if the people in Bluefield work this leverage, they may be able to force him out of the football program altogether and put who they want in the AD/HC positions.

I'm talking to you, boosters...

If the accounts are seperate. Football, basketball, baseball and so on. All money raised or collected by each team goes into that account. You spend what you have in that account, then you need to raise more funds. If the accounts are seperate, they have to be used seperate. You can not take band funds and pay for soccer. Same goes for cafeteria funds, office funds, senior class funds. Now by law the principal can use any of the accounts their school has on whatever deems to be needed.

If the accounts are seperate. Football, basketball, baseball and so on. All money raised or collected by each team goes into that account. You spend what you have in that account, then you need to raise more funds. If the accounts are seperate, they have to be used seperate. You can not take band funds and pay for soccer. Same goes for cafeteria funds, office funds, senior class funds. Now by law the principal can use any of the accounts their school has on whatever deems to be needed.

A FOIA request would figure out for us whether are not the separate sports accounts are indeed separate in reality or just separate in name. That shouldn't be hard to determine.

Assuming that the accounts check out, I bolded your last sentence for a reason. The principal does have the overall authority to use accounts in the manner he/she deems necessary. There is a potential Title IX violation here, if girls' sports/activities are the first things on the chopping block. They must be eliminated in an equal fashion with male sports.

However, it is my understanding that O'Neal has delegated to D. Marrs the ability to designate funds for the separate sports accounts. Here is where I think a Title IX violation occurs, if anywhere, because there's a possibility that he's steering more funds toward football and leaving everyone else, including the girls' sports, in the dark.

This is, if my sources in Bluefield tell me correctly.