Harder to win states in WV or VA

Blu_Man

The whole Bluefield-Richlands thing got me thinking about state titles. Do you feel it is harder to win a state title in WV or VA? I know the point systems are different and the divisions in VA, etc. but if Bluefield was across the state line and in the same division as Richlands would they have as many titles as they do, less, or more, or if Richlands was in WV would they have any titles. Just curious what others think.

As a whole, the competition in VA is much harder. I dont think AA Division 3 has the best teams in VA. I think there may have been 1 or 2 years where Bluefield was in the title game that they would not have been in VA

Do you seriously not know the answer to that question?

Virginia competition is much tougher than WV

Being completely 100% serious here, I'll give credit where it's due. Bluefield would be very competitive in Virginia. No reason to believe that they wouldn't have at least a few state title banners on this side of the line.

Not a chance in D3 this year or last.

Wouldn't have won a D3 title in 2007 either, but may have been able to pull out the D2 title.......would have definitely put up a better fight than Gate City did in the D2 title game.

Guest StoneyCalhoun

This is all speculation and all based on opinions.

But I do believe coaching wins games, especially in the playoffs. And when your coach has lost one game at home in the playoffs and none against teams he has played before, well I don't care what conference or division you are in, you are gonna win some trophies.

Based off of enrollments, only three of the 49 teams in D3 have numbers in the 600s. Bluefield's numbers go along with D2, and if they were in D2 they would be very competitive.

Shoot, they'd win the D2 state title this year. At least, IMHO.

The competition in VA is noticeably above WV, though Bluefield would give D3 a run for its money most years.

They would have a great shot at the title this year, turnovers kill in the playoffs (anytime) and teams try things they wouldn't making score sometimes worse than the game indicated. Luck plays a part too. Bluefield is well coached and they have a very solid Defense this year. How many would they have won in the past? No honest idea. GC has had some really good teams that did not win titles, and some good teams that did. Sometimes it is who and when you play, not how good you are.

The competition in VA is noticeably above WV, though Bluefield would give D3 a run for its money most years.

Yeah, exactly.

We need to get our arguments straight. Are we asking if Bluefield could compete in Virginia, against similarly sized schools? Because that question gets a resounding Yes.

Is the quality of football in the whole state of West Virginia better than Virginia? I would say no, simply because of the quality that comes out of the northern and eastern parts of Virginia.

Yeah, exactly.

We need to get our arguments straight. Are we asking if Bluefield could compete in Virginia, against similarly sized schools? Because that question gets a resounding Yes.

Is the quality of football in the whole state of West Virginia better than Virginia? I would say no, simply because of the quality that comes out of the northern and eastern parts of Virginia.

That sums it up exactly! Well put!

Only year they would have possibly won D3 title in past 10 years would have been 2004 and they would have had to beat Vic Hall to do it. They would not have won it any of the last 3 years.

Only year they would have possibly won D3 title in past 10 years would have been 2004 and they would have had to beat Vic Hall to do it. They would not have won it any of the last 3 years.

I'd put that 2007 team up against any D3 team in VA, and I think that Bluefield's 2004 team had the potential to beat Gretna. I don't disagree since 2008, but it'd be Richlands-Bluefield for the R4D3 title every year almost in perpetuity (as it seems now)

Im not saying anything new here but,

VA football is better from small school ball all the way up.

Bluefield would be very competitive and would almost surely have multiple state championships, but I dont think they would have nearly as many as they do.

Alot would also depend on if they were a small D3 or a D2, they would be very competitive in either but D3 is tougher. Either way in VA they would fave tougher competition, from round 2 on is tough in VA. What round starts getting tough in WV? 3, 4?

Also VA ball is not defined by the Coastal and NOVA teams (although those are the dominant ones at the moment) region D, C and IV play some very good ball(they are just outsized at the state level)

I'd put that 2007 team up against any D3 team in VA, and I think that Bluefield's 2004 team had the potential to beat Gretna. I don't disagree since 2008, but it'd be Richlands-Bluefield for the R4D3 title every year almost in perpetuity (as it seems now)

I watched both Bluefield and Monticello play against Richlands in 2007. Monticello had the better team. I'm not saying that on a particular day Bluefield couldn't have beaten them, but if the two teams had lined up and played 10 games Monticello would have won at least 7 of them.

I do agree that Bluefield 04 had the potential to beat Gretna.....

I would say with 600 kids D2 and they would be pretty good.

I heard the gc game is on for 2 more yrs let that show gc last yr bluefield this yr they would have to beat gc to go to the stae semi so le the play on the field answer that question.

I I heard the gc game is on for 2 more yrs let that show gc last yr bluefield this yr they would have to beat gc to go to the stae semi so le the play on the field answer that question.

???????????????????????????????????????

I would say with 600 kids D2 and they would be pretty good.

I heard the gc game is on for 2 more yrs let that show gc last yr bluefield this yr they would have to beat gc to go to the stae semi so le the play on the field answer that question.

Proofreading and punctuation your friends, fellow Blue Tornado...and it helps us all understand what you are saying! I'm really not trying to be a smart a**, but the above makes no sense to me.

Edited by blueinbama

WV is in the 40's in all the states in rankings for HS Football. I would say VA is in the top 15. Its all to do with numbers though. WV AAA champion could not beat some states A champion.

In the last year or so, I have seen a lot of CA, FL, OH, MI, PA, MS, and TN high school football. (Thank you cable sports package.) Top tier schools in VA and WV would compete with them. The exceptions are the top flight schools in those states have so much talent that goes on to D1 etc programs that it is ridiculous. If you get a chance in Dec. watch the CA, FL, PA state championship games. That is some amazing HS football.

In the last year or so, I have seen a lot of CA, FL, OH, MI, PA, MS, and TN high school football. (Thank you cable sports package.) Top tier schools in VA and WV would compete with them. The exceptions are the top flight schools in those states have so much talent that goes on to D1 etc programs that it is ridiculous. If you get a chance in Dec. watch the CA, FL, PA state championship games. That is some amazing HS football.

I have the privilege of watching Cumberland Valley live on occasion here in PA. They are the highest tier in PA, AAAA, and rated Top-5 by MaxPreps almost yearly. They've sent several starters to Penn State over the years. It's like watching a small college team. They're down significantly this year, and they're still 5-1 and undefeated in league play. They would compete with any team in the state of VA, and would probably beat Richlands by 2-3 scores this year (CV being down, Richlands being up).

PA football ain't a joke, fellas.