Harder to win states in WV or VA

Blu_Man

The tidewater produces some of the best players out of high school.

No doubt great football in 757. The real shame is the crowd sizes. There will be twice as many folks at the Graham - Tazewell game than at any game in Norfolk or Chesapeake.

Division 2 Football in VA is a lot harder than people give it credit for. Some of those D2 teams are the same ones that were winning the Region IV D3 title every year before dropping. Gate City won Region IV 4 out the last 5 years they played D3 and won one D3 State Title in those last 5 years. Other teams that have been successful as D2 that had some success as D3 are Giles, Radford, George Wythe, that I can think of right off.

SWVA hasn't had a State Championship winner in D2 since Giles won it in '05 (maybe '06)? Eastern VA has dominated us all speed. Last year, Radford was by far the quickest team in the D2 in Region C and probably D2 (didn't see any games) but they were slow compared to Essex. See the Gretna/GC game. Speed, speed, speed. I feel that GW would have contained Gretna a little better that year, but still would have lost by some margin. Still, until a team gets some speed here in SWVA, they won't win a D2 state title.

Division 2 Football in VA is a lot harder than people give it credit for. Some of those D2 teams are the same ones that were winning the Region IV D3 title every year before dropping. Gate City won Region IV 4 out the last 5 years they played D3 and won one D3 State Title in those last 5 years. Other teams that have been successful as D2 that had some success as D3 are Giles, Radford, George Wythe, that I can think of right off.

The Gretna teams of 07 and 08 would have won WV AAA quite easily in my opinion. They were the best teams I have seen here in the last 4 years. Their overall team speed was incredible and they had a lineman who plays for Maryland. That team could have won VA D-3 and competed D-4.

A good example of the speed arguement is JI Burton, they are player for player the fastest team in the area year in and year out but once they get to the state game they are on a level playing field in terms of speed and correct me if im wrong but they have been the smaller team every year they played in the title game. SWVA just doesent have the size and speed to compete at that level, JI Burton and Richlands being the exceptions, but even they arent considered to be fast teams just average.

I think alot of it comes from teams not focusing on speed training. The approach seems to be strength and conditioning with speed being a by product, not the focus. Just my opnion

A good example of the speed arguement is JI Burton, they are player for player the fastest team in the area year in and year out but once they get to the state game they are on a level playing field in terms of speed and correct me if im wrong but they have been the smaller team every year they played in the title game. SWVA just doesent have the size and speed to compete at that level, JI Burton and Richlands being the exceptions, but even they arent considered to be fast teams just average.

I think alot of it comes from teams not focusing on speed training. The approach seems to be strength and conditioning with speed being a by product, not the focus. Just my opnion

What's that old saying...you can't teach speed!

Much like you can't teach height or size.

You can teach size...... by introducing kids to the right supplements, showing them the types of food to eat, and getting them in a solid weightlifting program. Genetics of course still is the main factor though.

You can also effect speed. I cant take a kid who runs a 5.2 40, and make him run a 4.3, but you can take a kid who runs a 5.2, and get him down to a 4.7-4.8 range..... Its not only possible, but very likely if the athlete is in a speed program. The university of Cincinatti and FSU both have excellent speed programs. That still doesnt help teams around here when we take a group of kids with that 4.7-4.8 type speed and go play a team loaded with 4.4-4.6 type players. It's like taking a knife to a gunfight....no chance

Now I do agree that you cant teach height and unfortunatly most kids in our area are just not tall, lol.

Here is a link to the Cincy speed program from a few years ago. I've got an updated one but its the actual one that players recieve and is in paper form.

http://0101.netclime.net/1_5/0fa/1b8/381/Cincinnati%20Speed%20Dev.pdf

You can teach size...... by introducing kids to the right supplements, showing them the types of food to eat, and getting them in a solid weightlifting program. Genetics of course still is the main factor though.

You can also effect speed. I cant take a kid who runs a 5.2 40, and make him run a 4.3, but you can take a kid who runs a 5.2, and get him down to a 4.7-4.8 range..... Its not only possible, but very likely if the athlete is in a speed program. The university of Cincinatti and FSU both have excellent speed programs. That still doesnt help teams around here when we take a group of kids with that 4.7-4.8 type speed and go play a team loaded with 4.4-4.6 type players. It's like taking a knife to a gunfight....no chance

Now I do agree that you cant teach height and unfortunatly most kids in our area are just not tall, lol.

Here is a link to the Cincy speed program from a few years ago. I've got an updated one but its the actual one that players recieve and is in paper form.

http://0101.netclime.net/1_5/0fa/1b8/381/Cincinnati%20Speed%20Dev.pdf

I'll agree you can improve some on speed, but normally if you're slow, you're just going to be not quite as slow after the teaching. I guess that helps, but if you're born fast, you have an advantage.

dont get me wrong, I dont think you can take an average kid fast but you can make him faster. Every little bit helps and in this area I just dont think that is focused on as much as in the rest of the state. Genetics does have a lot to do with it

dont get me wrong, I dont think you can take an average kid fast but you can make him faster. Every little bit helps and in this area I just dont think that is focused on as much as in the rest of the state. Genetics does have a lot to do with it

As is the same with strength, balance, etc. You can improve it, but fast is just fast!

Very true. With hard work what a player has can be improved on but not manufactured, some people are just born w/ size, speed, strength, or talent and some are born with all of it. But when I see a team that is consistently big/strong (Gate City) or quick/fast (JI Burton), well they just have to be working on that specifically not making something they didnt have to start with but magnifiying and improving what was already there.

Very true. With hard work what a player has can be improved on but not manufactured, some people are just born w/ size, speed, strength, or talent and some are born with all of it. But when I see a team that is consistently big/strong (Gate City) or quick/fast (JI Burton), well they just have to be working on that specifically not making something they didnt have to start with but magnifiying and improving what was already there.

All of us have left out the most important things that can't be taught.... drive and desire. All the natural gifts in the world are worthless without those.