Tcu accepts offer from big east

vthokies4life

this hasn't really made HUGE headlines in the DFW area but i haven't checked out the glorious sports section the past few days from the Dallas Morning, i'm honestly surprised they didn't go to the Big 12 since they are losing Nebraska and Colorado and because TCU was in the Southwest Conference back in the day. oh and just to let everyone who thinks football playoffs are big in SWVA, i opened the sports section a few weeks back and two whole pages were the state playoff brackets, just for 4A and 5A, crazy but i loved it haha.

this hasn't really made HUGE headlines in the DFW area but i haven't checked out the glorious sports section the past few days from the Dallas Morning, i'm honestly surprised they didn't go to the Big 12 since they are losing Nebraska and Colorado and because TCU was in the Southwest Conference back in the day. oh and just to let everyone who thinks football playoffs are big in SWVA, i opened the sports section a few weeks back and two whole pages were the state playoff brackets, just for 4A and 5A, crazy but i loved it haha.

The Big 12 has said repetedly that they have 4 Texas schools. They dont want another. Crazy in my book. TCU is the best team in Texas today.

The Big 12 has said repetedly that they have 4 Texas schools. They dont want another. Crazy in my book. TCU is the best team in Texas today.

TCU is to the State of Texas (Texas/Texas A&M/Texas Tech/Baylor) as ECU is to the State of North Carolina (UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest)...they don't get any love from their "big brothers"...

If you are a conference and looking to expand right now, the reasons you do it are most likely to increase money substantially and to increase your geographic footprint. Conferences don't expand just for the sake of adding smaller schools that are already in their backyard.

For TCU to get into the Big XII, the University of Texas would have had to do TCU a favor for an invite to come the D/FW way. UT runs the Big XII and what they say is the conference gospel pretty much.

I dont know about that. All it takes for TCU now is one loss and they are out of a BCS bid. Now they can afford to have a bad game or two. And with Utah and BYU leaving the MWC, Bringing in Boise and Nevada wouldnt have made the MWC a powerhouse. All it would have brought was the Boise-TCU matchup.

But the point is: TCU wasn't losing in the MWC...

The few years they lost, it was to Utah, another non-BCS qualifier.

It's equivalent to the Big East: when's the last time you saw the Big East send 2 teams to the BCS?

I don't know about that. It is always more expensive for me to fly out of Tri-Cities, rather than Charlotte.

That's not been my experience, but if so, I'll have to try Charlotte more often...

travel not much of an issue...big east conference in olympic sports and such do not require teams to play regular season matches agains big east opponents...just in the tournaments at end of year.

I know that's not the case in soccer and baseball...

I don't think they neutered anything. You don't think having more exposure in Texas won't help the Big East schools grab a few Texas recruits in the long run? Its not a sure benefit, not a direct benefit, and not an immediate benefit - but they have a hand in the pot now, thats more than what they had. It can only help.

Texas is a pipeline for about 30 states - not every athlete in Texas stays in Texas. And now that Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Baylor are all subpar...looks like the Big East landed the best college football program in Texas - at least for now.

When TCU can lose 1 or 2 games each year, go to a BCS bowl, and play a good team instead of having to run the table just to avoid playing USF or FAU each year in a bowl - I think it's a step up.

Now I'll agree, in sports other than football, it's a questionable move. But TCU being the Jesus-lovin' Old Testament fearin' bunch they are - they went all or none. It may in fact hurt their lacrosse, swimming, soccer, and tiddly-winks teams but I don't think TCU or many people in Texas care. Kids will still accept scholarships to play there because 1) they're in the Big East now so they get better competition and exposure 2) people decide to attend TCU on other merits too, like the "C" in the initials.

The travel will suck. Thats the part that blows my mind but its only a little worse than Pheonix to Tacoma or Boston to Miami. Granted they have to do it pretty much all the time and not once a year but hey, Hawaii survives, right?

1. That logic confuses me. Why would you want any other Big East schools picking up Texas recruits? Seems like TCU would want to keep those all to themselves. If anything, I see that as a pretty strong argument AGAINST expansion. Sure, they have a hand in the pot now. But I think TCU would prefer to keep the other 16 hands out of their pot...

2. It is very true that not every athlete in Texas stays there. It's a very populous state. But going back to #1, why give those recruits any leverage to go elsewhere? TCU is the best in Texas right now, yes. But TCU doesn't have the horses to sustain that forever.

3. Trust me: people care about more than just their revenue sports teams. May not be so at VT, but elsewhere, definitely.

That's not been my experience, but if so, I'll have to try Charlotte more often...

I have never flown out of Tri-Cities, because I have always found better fares at CLT. But it isn't like I fly once a week...more like once a year. So I'm sure there may be times that TRI could have cheaper fares.

1. That logic confuses me. Why would you want any other Big East schools picking up Texas recruits? Seems like TCU would want to keep those all to themselves. If anything, I see that as a pretty strong argument AGAINST expansion. Sure, they have a hand in the pot now. But I think TCU would prefer to keep the other 16 hands out of their pot...

2. It is very true that not every athlete in Texas stays there. It's a very populous state. But going back to #1, why give those recruits any leverage to go elsewhere? TCU is the best in Texas right now, yes. But TCU doesn't have the horses to sustain that forever.

3. Trust me: people care about more than just their revenue sports teams. May not be so at VT, but elsewhere, definitely.

There are enough Texas recruits to go around. TCU's strength is that they have done a great job recruiting players that fit their schemes and are not on the radar of Texas, A&M. (Their approach is similar to VT.) Most every major power in the US recruits Texas. (USC, Florida, Notre Dame, FSU, Mich, OSU etc.) This will not be a factor IMHO.

Most D-1 schools and their supporters care about the non-revenue sports, including VT. Why do you think their has been such an emphasis @ VT for new facilities for Wrestling, Softball, Soccer, Baseball etc. I forgot to mention the $$$ poured into the River Course. I wish Tech had been as fortunate as UVA was to have a German Corporation pony up for a state of the art soccer complex. Maybe soon.

This recruiting argument is a little silly. The point I'm trying to make is that exposing Texas kids to the Big East and making it relevant to them helps those schools recruit from Texas. Conversely, I'm sure TCU wasn't thinking "well if we join the Big East, then our recruits will go there!". Its probably not a big deal to TCU especially considering they share Texas with like seven other FBS schools - losing a few recruits is life. But to the Big East, getting a few that you might not have in the past is a plus.

I don't know that TCU has the horses to sustain this forever and I'm guessing probably not. But its now or never for them. If they go back to sucking, at least they're in a BCS conference now. They couldn't have made that move with an average team.

I'm sure people care about more than just revenue sports teams. People will care about anything. I follow VT Wrestling pretty hardcore (doing great this year) but it doesn't make squat - most of the matches are free to watch. But the big heads of the BigEast and TCU only see $$ in this and I guarantee you they're looking directly at football and basketball when they see it. Each side saw it as a good move and I would bet that it had to be a solid move on both sides financially before it was ever even considered.

This recruiting argument is a little silly. The point I'm trying to make is that exposing Texas kids to the Big East and making it relevant to them helps those schools recruit from Texas. Conversely, I'm sure TCU wasn't thinking "well if we join the Big East, then our recruits will go there!". Its probably not a big deal to TCU especially considering they share Texas with like seven other FBS schools - losing a few recruits is life. But to the Big East, getting a few that you might not have in the past is a plus.

I don't know that TCU has the horses to sustain this forever and I'm guessing probably not. But its now or never for them. If they go back to sucking, at least they're in a BCS conference now. They couldn't have made that move with an average team.

I'm sure people care about more than just revenue sports teams. People will care about anything. I follow VT Wrestling pretty hardcore (doing great this year) but it doesn't make squat - most of the matches are free to watch. But the big heads of the BigEast and TCU only see $$ in this and I guarantee you they're looking directly at football and basketball when they see it. Each side saw it as a good move and I would bet that it had to be a solid move on both sides financially before it was ever even considered.

So we agree on recruiting: it opens Texas up to the Big East. But I don't see why TCU would want this at all. One recruit can make/break a school for years down the road. Do you think VT would be where it is today without Mike Vick? I sure know that George Welsh would've had a job past 2000...

When TCU goes back to winning 10 or fewer games per year, it doesn't matter where they are. BCS conference or not, they wouldn't be making a BCS bowl regardless. And like in the Big East, only the top dog gets a BCS bid. Hence, why the move is a net gain of nothing, at the very best.

I don't doubt that the Big East and TCU were looking at this from a football perspective. It's not nearly as bad a move for the Big East as it is for TCU. In fact, it's a smart move for the Big East. I just can't get over how bad it is for TCU in the long run, both in football and every other sport. I bet there was some financial shifting for TCU's benefit, but I tend to favor earning capacity over time than money in hand now.

There are enough Texas recruits to go around. TCU's strength is that they have done a great job recruiting players that fit their schemes and are not on the radar of Texas, A&M. (Their approach is similar to VT.) Most every major power in the US recruits Texas. (USC, Florida, Notre Dame, FSU, Mich, OSU etc.) This will not be a factor IMHO.

Most D-1 schools and their supporters care about the non-revenue sports, including VT. Why do you think their has been such an emphasis @ VT for new facilities for Wrestling, Softball, Soccer, Baseball etc. I forgot to mention the $$$ poured into the River Course. I wish Tech had been as fortunate as UVA was to have a German Corporation pony up for a state of the art soccer complex. Maybe soon.

I suppose that we will agree to disagree on the first part.

UVA has done very well historically (and recently now) in soccer, hence the significant Klockner renovations. Plus, UVA lacrosse uses those facilities, so we're killing multiple birds with one stone. It's nothing that VT couldn't do with sustained success in non-revenue sports. In fact, VT was on the cusp of it with their soccer and softball successes, VT just couldn't sustain it.

Likewise, VT could spearhead a lot of things itself if it would use some of its capital to improve sports that show promise, such as basketball. Greenberg could pull off miraculous things if VT would improve the basketball facilities.

So we agree on recruiting: it opens Texas up to the Big East. But I don't see why TCU would want this at all. One recruit can make/break a school for years down the road. Do you think VT would be where it is today without Mike Vick? I sure know that George Welsh would've had a job past 2000...

When TCU goes back to winning 10 or fewer games per year, it doesn't matter where they are. BCS conference or not, they wouldn't be making a BCS bowl regardless. And like in the Big East, only the top dog gets a BCS bid. Hence, why the move is a net gain of nothing, at the very best.

I don't doubt that the Big East and TCU were looking at this from a football perspective. It's not nearly as bad a move for the Big East as it is for TCU. In fact, it's a smart move for the Big East. I just can't get over how bad it is for TCU in the long run, both in football and every other sport. I bet there was some financial shifting for TCU's benefit, but I tend to favor earning capacity over time than money in hand now.

Mike Vick's and Cam Newton's are rare enough not to matter, in my opinion. I see this recruiting thing benefitting the Big East and having little-to-no direct impact on TCU. Maybe to every Texas team but the results you see will be for the Big East in general...

If TCU wins the Big-East with 7 wins they get a BCS bowl bid, right? No conference anywhere grants multiple BCS bids unless you're at-large as hell, like the SEC on a yearly basis with the NC taking their "top-dog". TCU doesn't have to go undefeated anymore to get in one, like they did before. Now they can lose a few, win the Big East and hit up the WhoCaresBCS Bowl.

I think the major factor in the whole TCU move to the BE is Dueces point about making a BCS Bowl game more easily. As it is now, TCU must be perfect every weekend, win every game and still run the risk of not making one of the BCS bowls. Before Boise lost, there was still an outside chance that TCU could have missed out on making one of the top bowl games. Now in the BE, 7,8,9 wins will earn the school a 13 million dollar payout and if I'm not mistaken there is no revenue sharing between schools so that will be all heading towards TCU athletic expenses. With this move to the BE, this may help keep Paterson around instead of bolting for other high profile jobs.

Regardless of what anyone says about the number of teams from Texas in the Big XII, give it 4-5 years, they will want a championship game once again and the conference will come knocking on TCU's door.

I think the major factor in the whole TCU move to the BE is Dueces point about making a BCS Bowl game more easily. As it is now, TCU must be perfect every weekend, win every game and still run the risk of not making one of the BCS bowls. Before Boise lost, there was still an outside chance that TCU could have missed out on making one of the top bowl games. Now in the BE, 7,8,9 wins will earn the school a 13 million dollar payout and if I'm not mistaken there is no revenue sharing between schools so that will be all heading towards TCU athletic expenses. With this move to the BE, this may help keep Paterson around instead of bolting for other high profile jobs.

Regardless of what anyone says about the number of teams from Texas in the Big XII, give it 4-5 years, they will want a championship game once again and the conference will come knocking on TCU's door.

If Texas doesn't want TCU in the Big 10/12, then it won't happen.

If Texas supports it, it will.

That simple.

If Texas doesn't want TCU in the Big 10/12, then it won't happen.

If Texas supports it, it will.

That simple.

I should have replaced "conference" with "Texas" in my previous post. It is no secret to the public that they rule the Big XII.

Mike Vick's and Cam Newton's are rare enough not to matter, in my opinion. I see this recruiting thing benefitting the Big East and having little-to-no direct impact on TCU. Maybe to every Texas team but the results you see will be for the Big East in general...

If TCU wins the Big-East with 7 wins they get a BCS bowl bid, right? No conference anywhere grants multiple BCS bids unless you're at-large as hell, like the SEC on a yearly basis with the NC taking their "top-dog". TCU doesn't have to go undefeated anymore to get in one, like they did before. Now they can lose a few, win the Big East and hit up the WhoCaresBCS Bowl.

But my point stands: one missed recruit can impact a program for a long, long time. And my other point stands: if it even positively impacts the Big East, TCU's opponents, then it will negatively impact TCU indirectly. Why would you willingly make your foes stronger? I think it negatively impacts TCU directly.

This year is an anomaly in the Big East, where a 3-loss team can weasel its way in. That happens in every conference: look at the ACC in 2005. But most years, you're going to need 10+ wins and 1 loss or better in conference to make it in, especially with no title game like the Big East.

But my point stands: one missed recruit can impact a program for a long, long time. And my other point stands: if it even positively impacts the Big East, TCU's opponents, then it will negatively impact TCU indirectly. Why would you willingly make your foes stronger? I think it negatively impacts TCU directly.

This year is an anomaly in the Big East, where a 3-loss team can weasel its way in. That happens in every conference: look at the ACC in 2005. But most years, you're going to need 10+ wins and 1 loss or better in conference to make it in, especially with no title game like the Big East.

Being in the Big East alone will help TCU in recruiting. And having TCU in the Big East helps the Big East recruit in Texas... if that's what you're agreeing with then yes, we agree that this move was mutally beneficial.

I don't see a Big East team running the table or having just 1 loss and winning it for a while. They have a bad case of ACC-way-too-much-parity syndrome.

look for more expansion soon and not villanova....serious talks with midwest teams who are members of other conferences are in the works...tcu will be in west division of new big east.

look for more expansion soon and not villanova....serious talks with midwest teams who are members of other conferences are in the works...tcu will be in west division of new big east.

They'll raid the C-USA, IMO. UCF, Houston, and either Memphis or ECU will be your 10th, 11th, and 12th schools in the mix. Houston will be TCU's regional rival and vice versa. UCF will give USF a local game too. Flip a coin for the last spot with either ECU or Memphis. I'd say Memphis will get the nod because of Big East's soft spot for basketball.

UVA has done very well historically (and recently now) in soccer, hence the significant Klockner renovations. Plus, UVA lacrosse uses those facilities, so we're killing multiple birds with one stone. It's nothing that VT couldn't do with sustained success in non-revenue sports. In fact, VT was on the cusp of it with their soccer and softball successes, VT just couldn't sustain it.

Likewise, VT could spearhead a lot of things itself if it would use some of its capital to improve sports that show promise, such as basketball. Greenberg could pull off miraculous things if VT would improve the basketball facilities.

VT is improving facilities for sports outside of football. The lacrosse/soccer stadium was built in 2003 and the new basketball practice facility just opened last year. http://www.roanoke.com/sports/vtbasketball/wb/222101

Being in the Big East alone will help TCU in recruiting. And having TCU in the Big East helps the Big East recruit in Texas... if that's what you're agreeing with then yes, we agree that this move was mutally beneficial.

I don't see a Big East team running the table or having just 1 loss and winning it for a while. They have a bad case of ACC-way-too-much-parity syndrome.

I am agreeing that this move is beneficial for the Big East, most definitely.

I will not agree that the move is beneficial for TCU. I think it's robbing Peter to pay Paul, in more ways than one.

And how on Earth does being in the Big East help ANY school in recruiting? Look at what happened when VT moved to the ACC. Suddenly, they're winning 10 games/season year after year after year. Of all the BCS conferences, the Big East has significantly the LEAST pull among recruits. I'd even argue that the MWC has more pull.

I don't think the Big East can expand anymore without doing something with the basketball-only schools. Otherwise, you'd have nearly 20 teams in the Big East for basketball, which would just be ludicrous.

IF there is a schism in the Big East, then perhaps it would be proper to add more teams. I just don't see it happening, though.