Wouldnt it be nice...

Jason

if all 6 Title games would be played at one site like TN does? Start them on Friday and end them on Saturday with an admission of about $12 a day. Rotate the game with 2 years at UVA and 2 years at VT. Play D1, D3, and D5 the first day and D2, D4, and D6 the second day.

I like that idea ! You could take Friday off of work and go to one spot and watch some great high school football and see some teams that we never get to see !

I would like to watch some of the D5 & D6 schools play.

if all 6 Title games would be played at one site like TN does? Start them on Friday and end them on Saturday with an admission of about $12 a day. Rotate the game with 2 years at UVA and 2 years at VT. Play D1, D3, and D5 the first day and D2, D4, and D6 the second day.

Alabama does that at Legion Field in Birmingham. It's great for the city and the schools get to share in the revenue.

One good aspect with the current system VHSL is that the championship games are distributed throughout the state of Virginia. D5 and D6 (larger enrollments) play at UVA in Charlottesville. It is apparent that the state's larger schools (AAA) are in that area and East, making it more of a manageable drive for their fan bases. D2 and D3 are played in Lynchburg, while D1 and D2 play in Salem. I must admit that Salem Stadium (capacity 7500) is perfect for the smaller schools and is usually full for both contests. This adds to the whole atmosphere of the title games. No doubt, this location makes it much more convenient for the smaller southwest located schools and their large fan base.

I was at Tech last year to see Northside play in the championship game and although there were about 4000 fans from Roanoke on one side, the stadium still appeared to be quite empty although all schools were well represented. The closest I have seen Liberty filled was when Amherst County and Liberty-Bedford made the championship games and in 2001. That year (2001) you had both Graham and Pulaski County in the finals and both those schools had well over 5000 fans there. Although Pulaski and Graham were on opposite sides for their respective games, both fan bases pulled for each other which added even more intensity to the whole stadium atmosphere. Unfortunately, both Graham and Pulaski lost in upset fashion.

It sounds like a good idea but the points starcityfootball make are correct. The bigger teams out East would not want to come any further West than they do now for the championship game. All of the bigger teams are located in the big Eastern city's. I suppose that VHSL has it right for the time being. As a Richlands fan it would be great to play at VAtech but when a school like Poquoson gets there it would be a big drive for them. We usually drive much further than any of the other double A teams but thats OK. I have a good time and Richlands travels well. Liberty stadium is nice and 2 games in one day is pretty good. I usually stay for the second game but most of our fans don't. It would be nice to support the single A teams in our area but can't due to the games being on same day as we play if we make it. I personally have never been to Salem but I here it is first class for high school football. I wish we could get Salem to play a home and home series with us but we need more visitor side bleachers. That would be a great game for us to pick up. They are always good and would give us a good measure of how we stand up to the big double A teams year in and year out. We may lose more than we would win but we would give them more than most do, especially since Mance and staff came to town.

Bad thing about all at 1 site is about half of the fans would need to take a day off work, or 2. Belfry, from near Williamson, had to play Friday at 11 a.m. "way down in Bowling Green" (there's the old DJ coming out again). How many fans do you think were on the Mtn. Parkway at 6 a.m.?

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3fv=7lGI8CFN_9I