A look back at 1995

futbolking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64fEC8zGjQU&feature=related

Graham fans, enjoy...game was played in Fredericksburg, I lived in Farmville, VA at the time and drove up route 15 about an hour and a half....a couple thousand (maybe more) Graham fans made a snowy icy trip and packed their side of the field.... Funny thing happened, a few King George youngsters decided to come over and sit on Graham's side and make a ruckus (running their mouths and yelling stupid stuff)....it didn't take long for them to get up and run to the other side when about a dozen or so Camo-and-orange clad Graham fans stood up and told them what was about to happen to them, if they didn't get back on their side...those guys high tailed it faster than those twin brothers that played for their team...very different schools, very different fans, their band just beat the drums the whole time and rocked back and forth acting crazy the whole game...Graham's team seemed more disciplined and structured, whereas King George tried to rely on big plays and athletes. Graham ran those backs behind the pulling guards to perfection in that Game...Brandon Banks and Mylton Byard ripped off big chunks of yards consistently, Graham's Defense came out on fire, sacking their QB for a near safety on the first series....it was an awesome experience to be there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64fEC8zGjQU&feature=related

Graham fans, enjoy...game was played in Fredericksburg, I lived in Farmville, VA at the time and drove up route 15 about an hour and a half....a couple thousand (maybe more) Graham fans made a snowy icy trip and packed their side of the field.... Funny thing happened, a few King George youngsters decided to come over and sit on Graham's side and make a ruckus (running their mouths and yelling stupid stuff)....it didn't take long for them to get up and run to the other side when about a dozen or so Camo-and-orange clad Graham fans stood up and told them what was about to happen to them, if they didn't get back on their side...those guys high tailed it faster than those twin brothers that played for their team...very different schools, very different fans, their band just beat the drums the whole time and rocked back and forth acting crazy the whole game...Graham's team seemed more disciplined and structured, whereas King George tried to rely on big plays and athletes. Graham ran those backs behind the pulling guards to perfection in that Game...Brandon Banks and Mylton Byard ripped off big chunks of yards consistently, Graham's Defense came out on fire, sacking their QB for a near safety on the first series....it was an awesome experience to be there.

Feels like another lifetime ago, doesn't it?

I've thought that as well. On the rare occasion that I can watch a football game back home, it always seems like the teams are just physically smaller. It looks like the JV squad, except it's Friday night.

I get the same feeling. I believe teams back in the day were much more physical as well...and seemed bigger...maybe it's because I was about 40 pounds lighter...

And to respond to an earlier post...yes it seems like a lifetime ago...

They seemd so much bigger, because you were much younger and smaller.

This obviously has crossed my mind. But I can look at videos comparing the two now and there is definitely a difference. Can't really explain that one with age...

This obviously has crossed my mind. But I can look at videos comparing the two now and there is definitely a difference. Can't really explain that one with age...

Videos and experience. I'm 25, and I guarantee you, there were bigger boys at Graham then than there are now. Sure, some of that is Doug and Wee-Cee running them off, but the line at Graham in 2001 went 265-285-225-295-315, or something ridiculous like that.

There's a difference. Big difference, IMO.

1995 Schedule - (12-2)

Date Opponent Result

9/1 Bluefield (WV-AA) 26-20

9/8 at Lee (AA)19-21

9/16 Christiansburg (AA) 27-17

9/22 at Grundy (AA) 20-21

9/29 at Richlands (AA) 31-3

10/6 Gate City (AA) 31-13

10/13 Blacksburg (AA) 38-24

10/20 at Tazewell (AA) 38-14

10/27 at Carroll Co. (AA) 41-0

11/3 Marion (AA) 51-19

11/17 at Christiansburg* 33-12

11/25 at Gate City** 21-14

12/2 William Campbell*** 7-6

12/9 at King George**** 23-18

It seems like just yesterday that I watched Bluefield blow a 20 point halftime lead and how upset I was after Bluefield and Yubrenal Isabelle was stopped just short of the goal line in the final seconds to lose the game. And I also remember listening to that King George game on the radio from my home at the time in Bluefield WV. Just right after that game I looked outside my window looking west onlooking the skyline and snow covered mountains into Bluefield VA and felt a strong sense of pride thus beginning my love/hate relationship for Graham I guess LOL. Those were the days!

Who remembers game against William Campbell? Man that team was huge as well. Unbelievable game.

William Campbell wasn't that big. They were fast and could score points like there was no tomorrow. That game was a defensive battle...Graham scored its only points on an INT returned for a TD. The D played great that day holding WC to 32 points under their season average.

I think the team you are thinking of was Southampton, who Graham played in the '89 Championship game. Those boys were huge...the fullback was 6'4", 280. His last name was Ford and there was a sign on the Southampton side that read "Have you been run-over by a Ford lately?" ...a play off of Ford Motor Company's slogan "Have you driven a Ford lately?".

William Campbell wasn't that big. They were fast and could score points like there was no tomorrow. That game was a defensive battle...Graham scored its only points on an INT returned for a TD. The D played great that day holding WC to 32 points under their season average.

I think the team you are thinking of was Southampton, who Graham played in the '89 Championship game. Those boys were huge...the fullback was 6'4", 280. His last name was Ford and there was a sign on the Southampton side that read "Have you been run-over by a Ford lately?" ...a play off of Ford Motor Company's slogan "Have you driven a Ford lately?".

I thought Graham played Rustburg in the finals in 1989, may be mistaken though. I do remember going on the field in my Bluefield letterman jacket to shake Coach Carlock's hand .

I thought Graham played Rustburg in the finals in 1989, may be mistaken though. I do remember going on the field in my Bluefield letterman jacket to shake Coach Carlock's hand .

That was the the State Semis in '89.

They played Rustburg in the semifinal in '89

I was in Lynchburg the next day and had to show my driver's license at the mall for something and some punk kid at the counter tried to say that Graham cheated William Campbell in Bluefield, because they had a TD called back...I told him that I was at the game and he was full of crap!! ...lol

The 1989 championship game was played at Mitchell Stadium in an absolute mud-bath if I recall correctly. Seems like Southampton was complaining a lot about the field conditions that day. Both teams had to play in it though.

Also, I was thinking the Graham offensive line in 1989 averaged close to 290-300 pounds. Can't remember their names, but I do remember listening to an opponents game broadcast and having their radio man continually say the GHS OL looks like a college line.

The 1989 championship game was played at Mitchell Stadium in an absolute mud-bath if I recall correctly. Seems like Southampton was complaining a lot about the field conditions that day. Both teams had to play in it though.

Also, I was thinking the Graham offensive line in 1989 averaged close to 290-300 pounds. Can't remember their names, but I do remember listening to an opponents game broadcast and having their radio man continually say the GHS OL looks like a college line.

In 1989, we played Giles, Radford (for the Region IV championship), Rustburg (State Semis) and Southampton in the Finals. All game were at Mitchell that year which was nice.

Our line that year wasn't quite as big as that. Hell, the tackle the lined up beside me was our middle LB and he wasn't 200lbs. I think we probably went 220-220-190-280-190.

Of all the teams, Southampton was huge. They ran a Power I with a 6'5, 280lbs fullback (yes, he was named Ford and I was run over by a Ford at least once that day on an end-around), a 6'3, 225 power back and a 5'10, 185lb TB. Their QB was Percy Ellsworth (played safety at UVA and later for the NY Giants) and he was 6'2, 185lbs. They had a guy named Riddick Parker on their line (OT and DT) that played at UNC and later in the NFL (Seahawks I believe). Riddick was all of 6'5, 290lbs.

I remember the first play of the game, they ran Ford off tackle right behind Parker. Our linebackers came up and stuck him pretty solidly. They were shocked and we stuffed them good the 1st half. In the 2nd half, they lined up Ford as the TB in order to give him more momentum going forward (we were hitting him as soon as he got the ball when he was at FB) and they ran him on an end-around to my side of the field. I made the tackle on my back but we still stuffed their running game by hitting them in the backfield. They tried to throw the ball in the 2nd half when we were up 16-0 but those of us in the defensive backfield ate them up. I think our safety had 1 INT and I ended up picking off 2.

You are correct on that one. I remember both the sign and being run over at least once by the game.

I think the big Graham O-line folks are thinking of was in '90...pretty sure it looked something like this...

T 6'5" 280

G 6'2" 256

C 6' 230

G 6'6" 274

T 6'2" 264

Too many turnovers in the Semifinal at Rustburg cost Graham a shot at back-to-back State Titles...