2011 state tourney info

VHSLhelper

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lance If any of the wrestlers from Cburg wanted to come to grundy to be on your team would your program turn them away? I was reading this thread and saw your little quote at the bottom of your posts and just thought I would ask.

Edited by demon73

Lance If any of the wrestlers from Cburg wanted to come to grundy to be on your team would your program turn them away? I was reading this thread and saw your little quote at the bottom of your posts and just thought I would ask.

Grundy is home grown...I dont think anyone would ever see any cburg kids trying to get in to Grundy...the difference is Grundy isn't going out and bringing them in...you can't tell me kids from NJ, CA, TX, and GA...etc...are just randomly showing up in Cburg and happen to all be State Champions...lol.

And to directly answer your question...no, I would rather win or lose with Buchanan County kids than I would win State every year by recruiting the next incoming class for Va Tech....but that's just me.

No they don't just randomly show up . They want to come here so they can wrestle a national schedule so they can become better wrestler's. You guys act like all the guys here are from out of state wich is not true. It dosent matter where they are from they still bust their ass EVERYDAY! to become the best wrestlers around. Who's to say some grundy wrestlers cant be the incoming class for tech just depends on how bad they want it. Just showing up in cburg doesn't make you automatic state champ you still have to earn it. You would think other teams around here would be chomping at the bit to wrestle the best so they could become better.

No they don't just randomly show up . They want to come here so they can wrestle a national schedule so they can become better wrestler's. You guys act like all the guys here are from out of state wich is not true. It dosent matter where they are from they still bust their ass EVERYDAY! to become the best wrestlers around. Who's to say some grundy wrestlers cant be the incoming class for tech just depends on how bad they want it. Just showing up in cburg doesn't make you automatic state champ you still have to earn it. You would think other teams around here would be chomping at the bit to wrestle the best so they could become better.

thats not what we are saying or talking about...you guys bring in the best...you know it...everyone knows it...people don't just show up as you just said...i'm sure they work hard, they have to if they want to win like they do...that doesn't have anything to do with it...why dont you put a B team together with just the kids from Cburg on it and leave the XFR's at home and then take a shot at Grundy's home town boys...you guys are twice the size of Grundy to start with and I'll bet you whatever you want to bet you will get your asses handed to you. Anyone can bring in the best from other states...but, to build a team with kids from your own county with what you have to work with is a totally different story isn't it? Grundy had success for many years...how many people from out of other states came to Grundy to wrestle with the best? none...and at one point Grundy was ranked in the top 5 in the country.

You guys have built the best team around here without a doubt, you just did it with kids from other states...not all of them...but enough to make a huge difference....lets not beat around the bush and try to make like its not the case, because that is exactly what it is...wich is fine...more power to you guys...but, don't be shocked when people call you out on it.

also...dont get me wrong here...i am in no way knocking the kids at all...like i said i am sure they work harder than anyone who is not familliar with a top level program would ever begin to imagine, you have to if you want to win regardless of where you are from...i'm just saying you guys have an all star team with several of the kids brought in from other states...and you are beating a team that is built with kids that are from where they are wrestling....thats all...and for Grundy, that is something they can be proud of...they have done more with less kids to pick from than anyone could dream...the fact they are still competitive at this point and can bring home 4 state champs is amazing...even considering the amount of resources they have in the wrestling program, its still amazing they can find enough kids from here to field a team as good as they do year in and year out....you can have the best coaches and equipment in the world, but if the kids don't have the drive to use it and make themselves better, then it's no good anyway.

Why can't all the hometown boys beat the wrestlers from Cburg they can train just like anybody. Why cant grundy quit worrying about where someone is from it has nothing to do with a persons ability.If you want to beat Christiansburg work harder it's simple that goes for anyone. It's ok next year you will dominate single A and everyone in grundy will be happy again. Maybe next next year grundy fans can shoot the bird to everyone in manasas park at the finals. Your fans showed some real class last night giving the finger to the christiansburg fans every time grundy won a match. They didn't even wrestle anyone from cburg in the finals. What kind of example does that set for the up coming kids?

Why can't all the hometown boys beat the wrestlers from Cburg

Why??? Because they don't go out and amass the best talent from multiple states, like Christiansburg does. <cough>RECRUIT</cough> They play within the rules of the VHSL. They EARNED their history and spot in the record books by using the kids they already had within their school system. Christiansburg, not so much.

Grundy = Hank Aaron...they did it the right way.

Christiansburg = Bobby Bonds...they had to cheat to be good...

I'd like to see Christiansburg wrestle Grundy with kids that were born and raised in Christiansburg and have been in Christiansburg schools their entire life...I think that would settle things and show how the best REALLY is...

Good for Grundy everyone give them a pat on the back and a "that a boy". If you can prove Cburg is cheating prove it and tell the vhsl if they are they need to be punished.

its not even a question of if it is legal or not or cheating or not...everyone knows what is going on...it's not just grundy folks that know...everyone knows....it's a grey area at best...legal, maybe the way they do it...but it's still a bunch of kids from other states...not even other schools...other states.

as for the Grundy fans...i doubt they act any worse than the cburg fans...sometimes the crowds get a little overly excited on either side...it happens...last year i know i didn't think cburg's reaction to winning state was very classy...but, whatever...its a rivalry, and a good one....hate to see it end, even though we are not really doing so well against you.

Its ok...dont know what you are upset about...you won...thats all that matters....right?

congrats.

I was in Roanoke this weekend, and saw this article in today's Roanoke Times on Grundy's impact on the Christiansburg program. I give kudos to Coach Morris, of Carroll County, on his gracious comments regarding Grundy's departure from the SWD and Region IV. On the other hand, Christiansburg's Coach Weber may have success on the mat with his wrestling program, but I can see other areas that needs work.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/highschool/wb/277690

High school wrestling commentary: Grundy blueprint created Demons

By Robert Anderson | The Roanoke Times

Part of a mountain disappeared so the town of Grundy could be moved.

In a different way, Grundy's wrestling program also is relocating away from the shadow of another obstacle.

The Buchanan County school that put VHSL Group AA wrestling on the map will have a different address in 2011-12. Grundy, which won 14 state championships and produced 79 individual titlists from 1987-2001, competed in its final tournament as a Group AA school Saturday night at the Salem Civic Center.

Grundy is making a long-awaited move to the Group A ranks next year, forced by the school's shrinking student body. The Golden Wave has competed at a high level in Group AA with an enrollment below the cutoff for several years -- placing second for the past two years -- but the coalfield school had to wrestle with a decision that might benefit all its sports.

Carroll County coach Jason Morris, whose Cavaliers annually finished behind Grundy in the Southwest District, would rather keep the Golden Wave as a district and Region IV rival.

"I'm sad to see them go, to be honest," Morris said. "I liked the competition in our district and region. I think it creates a great environment for our kids. I know they probably should have been down a long time ago with their numbers. Obviously, they can still compete in wrestling with anybody.

"I can go on the record by saying that program changed the culture of wrestling in Southwest Virginia."

Grundy rocketed to the next level in the late 1980s with a high-dollar budget and a hired gun for a coach.

The program's backers introduced several key elements: a grass-roots youth program, a separate training facility off campus, money to travel to major national tournaments and finally, a full-time professional coach not saddled with schoolteaching responsibilities.

Any of that sound familiar?

Grundy's second such hire was a former NCAA champion from the University of Iowa with the ideal blend of expertise and personality to handle the job.

Kevin Dresser hit the ground running at Grundy, winning eight Group AA titles in eight years. However, Dresser pursued a master's degree from Virginia Tech and eventually moved to Montgomery County.

Before long, he brought the same blueprint to Christiansburg, completely usurping Grundy's status as the state heavyweight.

Dresser led Christiansburg to five Group AA titles from 2002-06 before Tech hired him as the Hokies' head coach. Dresser handed the Christiansburg job off to another former NCAA champion from Iowa -- Daryl Weber -- who has added five more Group AA titles for an even 10.

How much has Grundy affected the VHSL landscape?

Maybe without a Grundy, there is no Christiansburg.

Under Weber, Christiansburg has kept Grundy as a rival but has dismissed the Golden Wave as an annual threat. The Golden Wave went six seasons from 2004-09 without producing an individual state champ.

The current Blue Demons coach expressed ambivalence Saturday about Grundy's drop to Group A.

A different look to the state tournament next year?

"No, not for us." Weber said. "We're going to keep doing the same thing. Honestly, I haven't really thought about it that much."

But it will be different.

When next year's VHSL tournament hits Salem, Grundy's faithful fan base -- which has filled the same civic center seats for the last 19 years -- will move a few rows to the left on the Group A side of the aisle.

No more roars from one fan base directed at the other across the arena, creating indoor explosions.

Just the fallout from a major decision.

Life has many choices---eternity two

The program's backers introduced several key elements: a grass-roots youth program, a separate training facility off campus, money to travel to major national tournaments and finally, a full-time professional coach not saddled with schoolteaching responsibilities.

And THAT'S the major difference between the two programs...C-burg went out and brought in kids from other areas...

I probably haven't posted on here in the past 5 years, but I do have an argument over the whole recruitment issue. When Christiansburg won their first state title in 2002, it was more or less with hometown boys, such as Anthony Boyd, Bryan Little, B.J. Compton, people like that. And when someone transferred there from Radford or Blacksburg such as Jackie Toney, we called that recruiting! If only we could have seen the near future..

Now here are some statistics for Grundy: 50 some individual AA state champs with 70 some state championship medals. 2 High School National Champions, 2 4x State Champions, State titles in 1978, 1987-1998, 2000 and 2001. All with wrestlers from Vansant, Grundy, Slate Creek to WV line, Big Rock, Harman, and Prater..

How many actual state championship medals came from talent from the Cburg area? I'm not knocking the original state championship team, not knocking any wrestler from Cburg..We all know that the recruiting goes on, It wont be stopped any time soon, and well, somebody else is gonna have to try to step up to the plate and knock christiansburg off the top of the podium!

Now, for the 4 wrestlers that won the state title, Congratulations! It's not often that you see 4 wrestlers in the same program with 150+ wins..Sean Van Dyke, Jeremy Hurley, and Cody Rife, along with the other seniors on the team will be sorely missed, but to you boys coming back next year, It's time to dominate..

For the record, Grundy's final AA numbers are...

59 state champions with 92 championships...

Two 4-timers : Albert Childress & Shane Bowman

Eight 3-timers : Luke Owens, Tyde Prater, B.D. Robertson, Scott Justus, Eric Kendrick, Chris Shortridge, Greg Stiltner, Reid Ratliff

Eleven 2-timers : J.T. Pruitt, Luke Dales, Scotty Newport, Nick Young, Jimmy Griffey, Stephen Hartford, Jason Cline, Brian Large, Jimmy Bunn, Raymond Webb, Mike Cox

38 one-timers : Sean Vandyke, Jeremy Hurley, Cody Rife, Tyler McClanahan, Ethan Owens, Coty Stiltner, Canaan Prater, Jake Stacy, Timmy Belcher, Michael Hartford, Brian Shortridge, Clayton Scott, Donnie Bishop, Brandon Matney, Brandon Stevenson, Hurshel Justus, Doug Adkins, Davey Looney, Shane Horn, Laddie Fields, David Wimmer, Kevin Humbert, Chris Deel, Shane Robertson, Joey Crawford, Allen Dales, Jamie Lane, Tony Stiltner, Carl Harrison, Red Childress, Jim Horn, Jim Osbourne, Donnie Adkins, Mike Fletcher, Allan Breeding, Glenn Mullins, Donnie Mullins, Olen Owens.

Edited by VHSLhelper