Whitten accusations

redtiger

From what I hear(I have a good source) Ryan Whitten, the Head Football Coach at John Battle High School has been cleared of all charges by the Washington County DA and the Washington County sheriffs dept considers the case closed. The department of Social Services is still involved but they are expected to close the case within the next 30 days.

Alot of rumors were spread regarding Mr. Whitten and his reputation has been drug through the mud by several of the posters on this site, he was judged and sentenced by some w/o them knowing any facts of the situation.To those of you who ran your mouths before knowing any facts, you should be ashamed and maybe you will learn to keep your mouths shut and let the law handle such matters.

Edited by redtiger

From what I hear(I have a good source) Ryan Whitten, the Head Football Coach at John Battle High School has been cleared of all charges by the Washington County DA and the Washington County sheriffs dept considers the case closed. The department of Social Services is still involved but they are expected to close the case within the next 30 days.

Alot of rumors were spread regarding Mr. Whitten and his reputation has been drug through the mud by several of the posters on this site, he was judged and sentenced by some w/o them knowing any facts of the situation.To those of you who ran your mouths before knowing any facts, you should be ashamed and maybe you will learn to keep your mouths shut and let the law handle such matters.

Since battleftbl doesn't post on here anymore, I will say this on his behalf:

"Told ya so!"

Alot of people shot off at the mouth when they didnt know anything about what was going on. From now on when we hear his name it isint "oh he coaches at Battle" its gonna be "he was accused of doing something with minors" and wrongfully so. Thats why I posted and thats the issue not where I got my information or who I speak w/.

It is appauling that some on here branded him as a bad person(to put it lightly) w/o any reason or proof!

I hope he gets cleared...that's a lot of mess gone...he still has the DUI thing to deal with though.

as far as what is said on here...it's one thing to say that someone "Did this or that"...and it's another to discuss what the accusations are ...we have to walk a fine line between being free to discuss things that are going on in our community and especially those which could impact the kids here...if a person is guilty or not is to be left up to the courts...not the people discussing what is being accused. There is nothing wrong with talking about what he was accused of, obviously something was said to happen and there was a police investigation...us talking about it doesn't mean he did it or anyone said he did it...or that it is wrong to discuss...I just don't want to get in a situation where everyone assumes a person is guilty of what is being discussed.

also...no need for the "I told you so" stuff...just because someone doesn't get convicted, it doesn't mean nothing happend...there are many reasons things never go to court...or that people who are guilty as sin are never convicted....not saying that is the case here, but it's true.

also...no need for the "I told you so" stuff...just because someone doesn't get convicted, it doesn't mean nothing happend...there are many reasons things never go to court...or that people who are guilty as sin are never convicted....not saying that is the case here, but it's true.

Very true,my fiance works as a sexual assault advocate and it is unbelieveable what some people get away with. My issue is not with those that discussed the situation(hell I did) but with those who assumed he was guilty from the begining.

I guess no one is ever actually innocent. We should just go on assuming that anyone that is not convicted is probably still guilty. :roll eyes:

I guess no one is ever actually innocent. We should just go on assuming that anyone that is not convicted is probably still guilty. :roll eyes:

thats not what i said or meant at all...roll your eyes all you want.

Apparently your source is wrong.

According to the Kingsport Times-News, the case has been put on "hold" because of a "lack of cooperation from the alleged victim and her family". The article also says "the case will remain open and active".

That is a far cry from "being cleared of all charges".

My sources say the DA and Washington County Sheriffs Department have dropped all accusations and are no longer investigating the matter. Social Services still has to clear him, but is expected to within the next 15-20 days and then he'll return as head football coach at John Battle High School. The Sheriffs Department notified people of this yesterday evening, and parents of the players were notified last night that no charges will be filed.

Edited by blueinbama

thats not what i said or meant at all...roll your eyes all you want.

Then what are you saying? You said just because someone doesn't get convicted then that doesn't mean that they didn't do it. Well, of course it doesn't...you can never prove that someone didn't do something, you can only prove if they did.

If the original post about all charges being dropped is true (which now it appears not to be), then there is no reason to even think that Whitten did anything wrong. If that were the case, then I think a big "told you so" is in order.

Besides, it was mostly a joke anyways because of all the crap that battleftb caught from SOME people on this board when this story first broke.

Then what are you saying? You said just because someone doesn't get convicted then that doesn't mean that they didn't do it. Well, of course it doesn't...you can never prove that someone didn't do something, you can only prove if they did.

If the original post about all charges being dropped is true (which now it appears not to be), then there is no reason to even think that Whitten did anything wrong. If that were the case, then I think a big "told you so" is in order.

Besides, it was mostly a joke anyways because of all the crap that battleftb caught from SOME people on this board when this story first broke.

I said...just because someone doesn't go to jail for something, doesn't mean they are innocent and did nothing wrong.

not saying everyone is guilty of anything or whatever else you said....I just wouldn't get up on a soap box and say "I told you so" on something like this...because, there is a good chance something did happen and there is just not enough to get a conviction, especially if the victim is not talking....not saying that is the case here, just hypothetical.

I said...just because someone doesn't go to jail for something, doesn't mean they are innocent and did nothing wrong.

not saying everyone is guilty of anything or whatever else you said....I just wouldn't get up on a soap box and say "I told you so" on something like this

Soap box...lol Since when is saying "I told ya so", in jest, getting on a soap box.

You had no problem with people getting on a "soap box" and crucifying the guy before the story even broke.

...because, there is a good chance something did happen and there is just not enough to get a conviction, especially if the victim is not talking....not saying that is the case here, just hypothetical.

This is the problem I have with what you are saying. Why is there a good chance that something still happened? It could just as easy be that the girl was lying from the beginning, and she stopped talking because she was tired of lying.

Edited by BigBlueAlum

Soap box...lol Since when is saying "I told ya so", in jest, getting on a soap box.

You had no problem with people getting on a "soap box" and crucifying the guy before the story even broke.

This is the problem I have with what you are saying. Why is there a good chance that something still happened? It could just as easy be that the girl was lying from the beginning, and she stopped talking because she was tired of lying.

Just saying...I wouldn't be all "I told you so" on this one.

could be the case...or might not be.

I have no problem in discussing what is going on or said to be going on...also, people who crossed the line were told to stop and/or removed back when it was going on.

Just saying...I wouldn't be all "I told you so" on this one.

could be the case...or might not be.

I have no problem in discussing what is going on or said to be going on...also, people who crossed the line were told to stop and/or removed back when it was going on.

Fair enough.

http://www2.tricities.com/news/2011/feb/17/washington-county-officials-wont-pursue-charges-ag-ar-848918/

He won't be back at Battle immediately, which means that the assistant coaches will have to oversee the offseason weight training and they will need someone to fill in for head track coach. He still has to deal with the DUI, which I hope he is cleared of. We definitely need Witten back because I definitely don't want to see the team have to adjust to yet another new coach.

I can't believe some of you guys are defending the DUI. Isn't it his second DUI?

People in a position of authority over children SHOULD be held to a higher standard.

I also can't believe how some of you guys have "sources" (who happen to be wrong) and are making all of these predictions.

I can't believe some of you guys are defending the DUI. Isn't it his second DUI?

People in a position of authority over children SHOULD be held to a higher standard.

I also can't believe how some of you guys have "sources" (who happen to be wrong) and are making all of these predictions.

Yeah, just hang the bastard. That’ll teach him. No one should be able to make a mistake in life. That’s just inexcusable.

Edited by blueinbama

Guest The Variable
Yeah, just hang the bastard. That’ll teach him. No one should be able to make a mistake in life. That’s just inexcusable.

Yeah but there does need to be punishment.

Ill probably come across as self righteous but I simply do not drink and drive, maybe it comes from my Aviation background but I dont drive unless I have not consumed alcohol more than 6 hrs prior.

DUI is definitely an under punished offense. We are tough on gun crimes and tough on drug crimes, but we arent tough on someone who drinks and makes the conscious decision to be relatively UNconscious on the road and put everyone elses lives at risk.

Ill put it this way, if a drunk driver killed my wife, you wouldnt have to worry about hanging him, Id put a bullet in his brain and face the consequences. There is simply NO excuse.

I never said hang him. BUT, he should face some consequences.

If this is his second DUI, then we are not talking about making a one time mistake. We are talking about a guy who probably has a serious problem.

We are also talking about a guy who is in a position of authority over children.

If it also true that "Investigators seized 211 digital photographs from a Nokia phone.", then he has some other serious issues to deal with. Pro tip: they don't seize landscape pictures from a phone.

I do not drink and drive...ever. I do not condone drinking and driving...ever. But I do believe in letting due process take its course before we throw this guy under the bus. No one knows the "whole story" here. Can't we let things play out before we convict him on SWVASports.com?

If this is his 2nd DUI charge then he should not be allowed to coach a full year. There is no need to lecture on how dangerous and irresponsible it is. Once he has served the one year suspension he would be allowed to continue all coaching duties at John Battle. Coaching is a privilege and without punishment how does this look to our young people? With actions come consequences...

The whole story...? If you were referring to his DUI charge it was in the newspaper and this wasn't long after this whole mess started in the first place.

I have a problem with the DUI...but on who ever said the case was closed... that's false... it's open the individual and the family was unwilling to talk to the cops and the case will remain open and active.

Edited by vatech

Guest The Variable
I do not drink and drive...ever. I do not condone drinking and driving...ever. But I do believe in letting due process take its course before we throw this guy under the bus. No one knows the "whole story" here. Can't we let things play out before we convict him on SWVASports.com?

I didnt say you did...my appologies I get pretty spooled up over that insane act.

As you know, Im not from around SWVA and I have absolutely no knowledge of the case, I have just been following this thread because Im nosey. I dont even know this other vague charge that everyone is referring to. I am not even commenting on his guilt/innocence. But the DUI thing? If it is his second offense and he is convicted, he needs more than just a 1 year suspension from coaching, he needs suspension from freedom: IE in a jail cell.