Whitten accusations

redtiger

If this is his 2nd DUI charge then he should not be allowed to coach a full year. There is no need to lecture on how dangerous and irresponsible it is. Once he has served the one year suspension he would be allowed to continue all coaching duties at John Battle. Coaching is a privilege and without punishment how does this look to our young people? With actions come consequences...

The whole story...? If you were referring to his DUI charge it was in the newspaper and this wasn't long after this whole mess started in the first place.

I have a problem with the DUI...but on who ever said the case was closed... that's false... it's open the individual and the family was unwilling to talk to the cops and the case will remain open and active.

I didnt say you did...my appologies I get pretty spooled up over that insane act.

As you know, Im not from around SWVA and I have absolutely no knowledge of the case, I have just been following this thread because Im nosey. I dont even know this other vague charge that everyone is referring to. I am not even commenting on his guilt/innocence. But the DUI thing? If it is his second offense and he is convicted, he needs more than just a 1 year suspension from coaching, he needs suspension from freedom: IE in a jail cell.

I am 100% in agreement with both of you. I am 100% against putting the cart before the horse. That's all I'm saying. Let the authorities decide this, not the message boards or the newspapers.

Edited by blueinbama

Thankfully, we can't decide anything. ;)

Just some good natured (mostly) banter going on here.

A man's reputation and livelihood are at stake here. I'm sure he would disagree with the "good natured banter" statement, along with his friends and family. I know I do.

Edited by blueinbama

Yeah but there does need to be punishment.

Ill probably come across as self righteous but I simply do not drink and drive, maybe it comes from my Aviation background but I dont drive unless I have not consumed alcohol more than 6 hrs prior.

DUI is definitely an under punished offense. We are tough on gun crimes and tough on drug crimes, but we arent tough on someone who drinks and makes the conscious decision to be relatively UNconscious on the road and put everyone elses lives at risk.

Ill put it this way, if a drunk driver killed my wife, you wouldnt have to worry about hanging him, Id put a bullet in his brain and face the consequences. There is simply NO excuse.

i agree...what some people have done when they were younger and dumber compared to an adult who is a teacher and already in some hot water is a little different circumstances...a coach and teacher should set good examples with their actions...doesn't always happen as everyone is just a human being and does make mistakes...but not all mistakes are equal in terms of severity....the DUI was a very poor judgement call on his behalf given the circumstances.

A football coach is more than a coach, in a lot of ways, he and is the pillar of the community. I think if we lose focus of that, in exchange for victories, we've lost our purpose. I hate it for the battle community but if they bring him back, just for wins, I will lose all respect for them. We need to remember how influential a football coach is and what message we are sending to the young people there.

A football coach is more than a coach, in a lot of ways, he and is the pillar of the community. I think if we lose focus of that, in exchange for victories, we've lost our purpose. I hate it for the battle community but if they bring him back, just for wins, I will lose all respect for them. We need to remember how influential a football coach is and what message we are sending to the young people there.

Being a coach and teacher, means keeping your face and name off the front page of newspapers.

So we have already pronounced this man guilty?

Nice going.

If it also true that "Investigators seized 211 digital photographs from a Nokia phone.", then he has some other serious issues to deal with. Pro tip: they don't seize landscape pictures from a phone.

The pics on the phone were of the team and events that the football program had. From day one of coaching at Battle he was super enthusiastic and loved everything about the school and was always taking pictures and such. This part of the story has been blown way out of proportion. Of course they seized the pics, but that's because of the situation he was in and what he was accused of. They would be stupid not to check all the pictures.

Not weighing in on any side, but all teachers should remember that no matter what, they are truly public figures in small communities. I know that going out around town with my wife is like going out with a star because so many folks know her as "their Library teacher."

Having not looked recently at teaching contracts I am not sure if they still include "morals" clauses. I know in the past that they did. With those, certain behavior was grounds for termination.

Not weighing in on any side, but all teachers should remember that no matter what, they are truly public figures in small communities. I know that going out around town with my wife is like going out with a star because so many folks know her as "their Library teacher."

Having not looked recently at teaching contracts I am not sure if they still include "morals" clauses. I know in the past that they did. With those, certain behavior was grounds for termination.

I doubt if there is anyone who would disagree with your statement. And if the school has not fired this man, shouldn't we give that some consideration? The facts will eventually be revealed. If he's no longer fit for the job, so be it. But until then I will stand for this man's right to be innocent until proven guilty. I don't even know this man, and I don't know any of you personally, but I would stand for anyone's right to be innocent until proven guilty. Man, this is a tough crowd. I would hate for my fate to be in the hands of many of you here. Some of you are already riding this man out of town on a rail. Give the system a chance to work for crying out loud.

A man's reputation and livelihood are at stake here. I'm sure he would disagree with the "good natured banter" statement, along with his friends and family. I know I do.

I have no doubt that he would prefer these topics not be discussed. BUT, we also need to remember that HE himself MAY have put his reputation & livelihood at stake.

The DUIs are public knowledge and are certainly open for public debate. His other possible "issue" has also been conveyed through many different media outlets. It's not like these things originated on this board.

I do agree that the man obviously deserves his day in court, but public discussion of public events have always been acceptable.

I have no doubt that he would prefer these topics not be discussed. BUT, we also need to remember that HE himself MAY have put his reputation & livelihood at stake.

The DUIs are public knowledge and are certainly open for public debate. His other possible "issue" has also been conveyed through many different media outlets. It's not like these things originated on this board.

I do agree that the man obviously deserves his day in court, but public discussion of public events have always been acceptable.

How would you feel if it happened to be your son or your brother? Or you?

"The pics on the phone were of the team and events that the football program had."

ALL of them? If so, how do you know?

Isn't there a difference between the police looking at those pictues and seizing them?

How do you know to the contrary? You don't. And you avoided my question.

How would you feel if it happened to be your son or your brother? Or you?

I would hate it for my son, my brother, or myself. I would also prefer that it not be discussed.

BUT, it would have been my son's, my brother's, or my fault for putting myself in the condition where my private life became a matter of public record.

"And if the school has not fired this man, shouldn't we give that some consideration?'

You seem like an intelligent person. No doubt you realize how hard it is to terminate someone from employment. Especially if they are employed by any level of government.

"But until then I will stand for this man's right to be innocent until proven guilty."

That is exactly how it should be, but the discussion on this board can NOT establish his guilt or innocence. He IS still innocent until proven guilty no matter what is written on this board. Right?

How do you know to the contrary? You don't. And you avoided my question.

I don't know. Neither do you. Neither does the person who posted the description of the pictures. Well, at least I don't think he knows that is why I asked him.

My question was if the fact they were "seized" should mean anything. I don't know. Would the police have "seized" them, after looking at them, if they were just of the football team? Not an accusation. A question.

I would hate it for my son, my brother, or myself. I would also prefer that it not be discussed.

BUT, it would have been my son's, my brother's, or my fault for putting myself in the condition where my private life became a matter of public record.

"And if the school has not fired this man, shouldn't we give that some consideration?'

You seem like an intelligent person. No doubt you realize how hard it is to terminate someone from employment. Especially if they are employed by any level of government.

"But until then I will stand for this man's right to be innocent until proven guilty."

That is exactly how it should be, but the discussion on this board can NOT establish his guilt or innocence. He IS still innocent until proven guilty no matter what is written on this board. Right?

That's right, but the damage it can do to his character can be irreparable. People tend to believe what they read, it doesn't always have to be true. And innocent people can be accused of doing something and still have it haunt them the rest of their lives even though the accusations prove to be untrue. People will never forget this whether he is innocent or guilty. It's already too late for that.

Edited by blueinbama

"The pics on the phone were of the team and events that the football program had."

ALL of them? If so, how do you know?

Isn't there a difference between the police looking at those pictues and seizing them?

I know more about the man than probably anyone on this board. I've been filming Battle's football games/events for the team every year since I graduated in '07 and I always make a point of befriending the coaches and team. My brother, who is a senior and plays for Battle, is also very close to the coach. I've been around him a lot more than just in the stands at games. I've been to the events and seen him take pictures, he's even showed them to me. Heck, he's probably just let lots of people take his phone and browse through the pics just because he's so proud of the program and team.

But just to be clear, even though I really want him back and hope he gets cleared of all charges, if he did do wrong in any of these events (DUI or the water girl affair) and is found guilty, then he should be punished. I'm studying to become a teacher and know full well what responsibility comes with the job and how vulnerable the situation is. He knows that too and if he's guilty then it's on him.

That's right, but the damage it can do to his character can be irreparable. People tend to believe what they read, it doesn't always have to be true. And innocent people can be accused of doing something and still have it haunt them the rest of their lives even though the accusations prove to be untrue. People will never forget this whether he is innocent or guilty. It's already too late for that.

Thats my concern now and espicially w/ the earlier thread that was closed.

Im not saying "yeah everyone drives drunk its ok lets all do it". Im saying I have before, I have been DRUNK drunk and drove(not at all proud of it but I did it), I think there are very few of us who have never had A drink and then drove home.

Hypothetical situation, my fiance and I go to Olive Garden in Johnson City, I have the spaghetti and meatballs, a glass of water and a glass of white wine, as does she. Neither of us is drunk(not by a long shot), we leave the restaurant and go to the mall for around an hour, it is late and she is tired so I drive home. As we are passing through Hansonville we are pulled over by an Officer just because he feels like it, it just a stop. He smells alcohol on my breath, he asks how many ive had, I say 1, he gives me a breathalizer and it says im drunk. I go to jail and im screwed!

Maybe something similar to this story is what happened? We dont know and really shouldnt speculate until the facts are out.

Now a true story; Last year at Christmas we had an expensive fruit cake at work(best dang thing ever), it contains cherries, pineapples and of course alcohol(Brandy). We get out the breathalizer and low and behold after 1 piece each we are all legally drunk and to no ones suprise an hour later we are all still legally drunk. Breathalizer = unreliable, now blood alcohol content is a dead ringer. Lets see how the DUI plays out before making assumptions

All of that being said he is a teacher and should be held to a higher standard because he has a great influence on the young adults around him, but lets not condem him just yet

Edited by redtiger