Catching up with the Curry's...

GMan

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/02/vt-hoops-catching-currys

Dell Curry is/was my favorite VT basketball player ever...may be part of the reason why I have major animosity towards Seth Greenbum for never offering his two sons scholarships to VT...

They were LEGACIES, Seth...LEGACIES...damn it!!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dell Curry is/was my favorite VT basketball player ever...may be part of the reason why I have major animosity towards Seth Greenbum for never offering his two sons scholarships to VT...

No one else in the ACC offered either one of them in high school. In fact, did anyone in the SEC or Big East offer either one of them coming out of high school?

BTW, Bruce Smith's son Alston, got an offer this weekend from the VT staff:

Hokies football legend Bruce Smith is a happy man today. His son Alston, a DE/DT at Cox High in Virginia Beach, just received a scholarship offer from Virginia Tech.

The Hokies are hosting a heap of top football recruits today, capitalizing on this buzz of GameDay coming to town and No. 1 Duke playing Tech in basketball tonight. The football coaching staff marched an impressive parade of talented recruits and their parents into the arena during the broadcast of GameDay. Duing a break, the fans changed “Shane Beamer!” and “Cornell Brown!” in acknowledgment of the Hokies’ two new football assistants.

Alston Smith, who is 6-foot-3, 265 pounds and sporting a fantastic mohawk today, is not the biggest name here. But it’s pretty significant that the Hokies have offered the son of arguably their all-time greatest player.

“This smile is saying a million words right now,” Bruce Smith said. So is his alma mater the early leader for his son’s services? “We’re going to go through the process. This is a very special time for him right now and we’re going to let him enjoy it. But you can see the smile on my face.”

Smith also weighed in on football coach Frank Beamer’s recent moves on the staff. He believes the Hokies are about to reach a new level.

“I’ve got to tell you, the level we’re at now is pretty damn good,” Smith said. “But there’s no complacency here. (Beamer) wants to continue to move this program. It’s obvious in these changes. Sometimes, change is good.

“I have a tremendous sense that Frank Beamer knows what he’s doing and I’m really excited about the future. I’m 100 percent behind him.”

3916284_std.jpg

This is Kent Dorfman. He's a legacy from Harrisburg.

He said legacies usually get asked to pledge automatically.

Oh, well, usually. Unless the pledge in question turns out to be a real closet-case, like Fred.

I led you guys perfectly for those follow-ups...NICE JOB!!!

No one else in the ACC offered either one of them in high school. In fact, did anyone in the SEC or Big East offer either one of them coming out of high school?

Aaron Rodgers didn't have any D-1 offers coming out of high school either but he was good enough to torch VT's D for nearly 400 yards in the Insight Bowl in 2003. Oh, and did I mention, he was the Super Bowl MVP this year...

Looks like there are lots of coaches out there who are poor judges of talent...

Greenbum sucks...nuff said....

the way I look at it is not the fact that the coaches aren't poor judges of talent, but children of college legends or pro legends are a big risk, they will always be put under the microscope when it comes to measuring up to their dad's standards. most coaches don't know whether to take the risk and give a scholarship to a son of the legacies or pass them up. it's a lose-lose to most coaches seeing that if they give the scholarship and the kid just fizzes out then it was a stupid mistake and only got the scholarship cause of the name. or they pass them up and they go on to be studs on the court/field. just my 2 cents on passing up legacies and such.

By far the worst move that Greenberg ever made. Stephen Curry led a team to an Elite Eight all by his darned self, and was painfully close to beating Kansas, too. Seth Curry is a K-Mart version of his older brother. Add those two to VT's roster, and we're talking ACC titleS.

3916284_std.jpg

This is Kent Dorfman. He's a legacy from Harrisburg.

All sorts of win.

Amazing how accurate hindsight is.

How many people bashing Greenberg now for not taking the Currys were campaining for Tech to take them when the kids were in high school???

I can hear it...had VT signed Stephen, many of those same people would have been saying at the time "Why the hell did he sign some undersized guard just because he's Dell Curry's kid..he'll never hold up against the guards in the ACC".

They ended up at DAVIDSON (SoCon) and LIBERTY (Big South).....I think that says enough about how many big (or even mid-major) programs wanted them.

Scottie Pippen went to Central Arkansas. Dennis Rodman to Northeast Oklahoma State. It happens.

Amazing how accurate hindsight is.

How many people bashing Greenberg now for not taking the Currys were campaining for Tech to take them when the kids were in high school???

I can hear it...had VT signed Stephen, many of those same people would have been saying at the time "Why the hell did he sign some undersized guard just because he's Dell Curry's kid..he'll never hold up against the guards in the ACC".

Not many. A majority of the fans were extremely upset when Greenbum didn't offer Steph. Once that happened and he went to Davidson, most of us knew there was no chance at landing Seth, however, we still wanted him to get an offer...which didn't happen either...

Correct me if I (and Kyle Tucker's piece) are wrong, but didn't Greenberg offer both a chance to play at Tech?

He wanted Steph to walk on the first year and redshirt, then he would get a scholarship the second year. Did any other program in a major conference offer that (maybe they did and I'm not aware of it).

As for Seth Curry, he plainly says in the story linked..

ON WHETHER THE HOKIES RECRUITED HIM: “Yeah, a little bit. They offered me a scholarship. It just wasn’t the right fit. They had certain players in the position to where there wasn’t an opportunity there right away. It just wasn’t a good fit.â€

ON THINKING HIS POSITION WAS TOO CROWDED: “It was a little bit of that, but it just didn’t feel like it was a good fit for me. It’s hard to go too in-depth about it.â€

Sounds to me like the most important thing to Seth was immediate PT.

Aaron Rodgers didn't have any D-1 offers coming out of high school either but he was good enough to torch VT's D for nearly 400 yards in the Insight Bowl in 2003. Oh, and did I mention, he was the Super Bowl MVP this year...

If he's such a bum then how did his basketball team just knock off the #1 team in the nation for the third time during his tenure in Blacksburg?

Another little tidbit for you. Glen Combs (The Kentucky Rifle) wanted Beamer to give his son, Chris, a full ride to the VT football program out of Cave Spring High School in the mid 90's. Beamer decided not to give Chris Combs a full ride to VT. Chris goes on to be an all ACC performer at Duke at defensive end and gets drafted into the NFL by the Steelers. Chris is now

I guess Beamer needs to be fired immediately for that screw up??

If he's such a bum then how did his basketball team just knock off the #1 team in the nation for the third time during his tenure in Blacksburg?

Another little tidbit for you. Glen Combs (The Kentucky Rifle) wanted Beamer to give his son, Chris, a full ride to the VT football program out of Cave Spring High School in the mid 90's. Beamer decided not to give Chris Combs a full ride to VT. Chris goes on to be an all ACC performer at Duke at defensive end and gets drafted into the NFL by the Steelers.

I guess Beamer needs to be fired immediately for that screw up??

Two of those wins were at home...magic happens in the Cassell...enough said. And, last night was the "perfect storm"...

The other was at Wake Forest. And I wouldn't have considered them a "legit" #1 team at the time. They were just the last undefeated team having played a really weak schedule to that point, other than an upset of UNC at the Joel, 10 days before the VT game. VT shot 50% from the floor that night and WF was whistled for 27 fouls sending VT to the line 37 times (although they only made 22 of them)...they outscored WF 22-12 from the FT line. Wake then lost three of its next five and got knocked out of the NCAA tournament in the 1st round by Cleveland St.

Bums lose games they shouldn't...BC and UVAX2...

$5 says VT loses to BC again this week at home...

Another little tidbit for you. Glen Combs (The Kentucky Rifle) wanted Beamer to give his son, Chris, a full ride to the VT football program out of Cave Spring High School in the mid 90's. Beamer decided not to give Chris Combs a full ride to VT.

Big difference when the perspective football player is the son of a former basketball player...BTW, is Combs number retired at VT????

Sad part is, last night was enough for many to forget about Greenbum's inadequacies as a coach...kinda like some folks do with Stinespring when VT's offense has a good showing...

Folks need to quit focusing on the little things and take a good look at the BIG PICTURE...

I agree with G-Man on this. I'm thrilled VT knocked off #1 Duke...but I'm not sold on the coaching yet. We were HORRIBLE at the free throw line....Delaney barely put forth an effort. I think VT had some luck and surprisingly the officials called a fair game and Duke didn't seem to get the "because we are Duke" calls. I can't wait to see how VT comes out and plays in these last two games.

Two of those wins were at home...magic happens in the Cassell...enough said. And, last night was the "perfect storm"...

The other was at Wake Forest. And I wouldn't have considered them a "legit" #1 team at the time. They were just the last undefeated team having played a really weak schedule to that point, other than an upset of UNC at the Joel, 10 days before the VT game. VT shot 50% from the floor that night and WF was whistled for 27 fouls sending VT to the line 37 times (although they only made 22 of them)...they outscored WF 22-12 from the FT line. Wake then lost three of its next five and got knocked out of the NCAA tournament in the 1st round by Cleveland St.

Bums lose games they shouldn't...BC and UVAX2...

$5 says VT loses to BC again this week at home...

Why do you want to dissect wins in a 100% negative light when they relate to VT? If VT sports teams are such a disappointment, why follow them?

I saw the kids play their butts off and find a way to beat the #1 ranked team at the time and got themselves, the coaching staff, and the fans a hell of a great experience and the memory of a lifetime. Could the Pittsburgh State Fighting Gorillas have beaten Duke last night just because it was played at the Cassell? It may have been the perfect storm against Duke, but they see this everywhere they play because of who they are. It still doesn't change the fact that Duke has more talent on their roster then 99% of the teams in the country. Maybe Coack K. had his team throw the game just to help VT out......

I'm not saying that VT deserves or doesn't deserve to be in the field of 68 at this point. They still have more games to play before Selection Sunday. Are they a great team? No. Are they a good team? Maybe. I do know they're playing with basically a 6-7 man rotation

You asked me a few weeks ago why I pay $35 a ticket to ACC basketball games. Well let me ask you this, why do you pay $48 (Price will probably be higher this upcoming season) each for football games in Blacksburg when they lose games they shouldn't?

Coach K. should be fired as he has lost games he shouldn't have including four now to VT. Count Roy Williams into that too. Hell, UNC was swept by VT in the regular season a few years ago.

VT may lose to B.C. It's a quick turnaround after a big emotional win. The players need to get over last night in a hurry and be ready to play or else everything that happened Saturday will be all for not if they want to make the NCAA tourney. I won't get too high on them nor will I get to low on them as they are who they are.

Not many. A majority of the fans were extremely upset when Greenbum didn't offer Steph. Once that happened and he went to Davidson, most of us knew there was no chance at landing Seth, however, we still wanted him to get an offer...which didn't happen either...

Seth was offered a scholarship at VT when he announced he was transferring out of Liberty.

I doubt none of the other coaches out there WHO DIDN'T offer either of the Curry boys a scholarship when they were in high school had any idea who Dell Curry was. What guarantee does that give that either of his two sons will be great college basketball players just because of who their dad was? Both had the chance to walk-on at VT out of high school.

Why didn't Michael Jordan's son get a full ride to UNC??

How did that Cody Grimm walk-on thing turn out for the VT football team and for Cody even though his Dad is now in the NFL H.O.F.??

How is it different?

Combs is in the H.O.F. at VT.

Combs played BASKETBALL...his son played FOOTBALL...

ALL the Curry's played BASKETBALL...

There's your difference...