Consolidated school info

redtiger

Nice work Helper, Thanks alot!

Thanks everyone who provided info, I will put up the colors and mascots I know later. Still some colors missing and a few mascots

so obviously consolidation is not a big deal and definitely isint anything new to SWVA. A lot of the "consolidated" schools in this area arent thought of as consolidated at all.

Lee high is pointed to as how bad consolidation can be and the people of Lee Co seem to be split on that. Powell Valley is a great example of how well it can go, the two schools were close together so that definitely helped but I really think it is all about how the communities approach the issue

Is it just me or are the mascots Bulldog and Eagles really popular?

Is it just me or are the mascots Bulldog and Eagles really popular?

Used to be. I saw a report somewhere a couple of years ago that versions of Eagles was the most popular sporting nickname for HS in the US. Presently though, Rye Cove is the only one using it in our area though that I can think.

For one year around 1960 or so I believe Rye Cove used the nickname Cyclones due to the Cyclone that destroyed the old Rye Cove school house killing a few students and teachers in 1929. Apparently it just didn't stick and Eagles have been the nickname ever since.

Edited by 1inStripes

I read an article a year or so ago from a newspaper around Richmond(I think?) it talked about how the Eagle mascot was the most popular among newly formed schools(consolidations or new openings). Patriotic school names were also popular i.e. Independence, liberty, etc. I despise conformanity, be original

I think the most popular mascots are Eagles, Bulldogs and Tigers; all cool but overused. Our area is pretty diverse in terms of mascot usage and color combinations(now anyways)

Cyclones is a pretty cool mascot IMO

Where did War Eagles come from? Why not just Eagles?

Edited by redtiger

For what it's worth, the rebels had a few years there somewhere or another where they wore yellow and black before returning to the blue, red, and silver.

Hurley actually started with a black and orange color scheme in 1951 for football. The second set of colors was then the black and gold, which went out sometime in 1975 to 1977. The colors of the red,blue and silver have been in play since the late 70's.

I personally like the white jerseys with blue pants.

I would like to see a throwback game, maybe homecoming, using the black jerseys with gold pants and gold helmets but that would cost a pretty penny to have the equipment for one game a year.

War Eagles came about from Sarge Reed who became the head coach at Rye Cove in 1983 ( I think that was his first year at least). He wanted to instill a new mindset is my understanding (he was a former military man himself) and decided since the band was the Screamin Eagles that he would add to the school nickname and attach War Eagles to the football team. The school only officially recognized Eagles as the school mascot. Sarge stepped down after the 1990 season and Mark Osborne took over in 91. In 92 he changed RC's old unis for Navy, yolk yellow and white to navy, vegas gold and white, and just had Eagles on the jerseys. Osborne lasted only 2 seasons, and Mike Wampler kept the same Eagles namesake going for the next 4 seasons. In 97 Joe Carter took over whoe played for Sarge, and Sarge came back to assist and War Eagles was back again attached to the RC football name even though it has yet to appear on a jersey. Today you still see the media sometimes refer to RC as the War Eagles, or Lady War Eagles even though the ladies have never attached that to any sports team.

To thevols, the best jerseys I think I saw from Hurley was when I played against them one year they wore a gray top and red pants I think it was.

War Eagles came about from Sarge Reed who became the head coach at Rye Cove in 1983 ( I think that was his first year at least). He wanted to instill a new mindset is my understanding (he was a former military man himself) and decided since the band was the Screamin Eagles that he would add to the school nickname and attach War Eagles to the football team. The school only officially recognized Eagles as the school mascot. Sarge stepped down after the 1990 season and Mark Osborne took over in 91. In 92 he changed RC's old unis for Navy, yolk yellow and white to navy, vegas gold and white, and just had Eagles on the jerseys. Osborne lasted only 2 seasons, and Mike Wampler kept the same Eagles namesake going for the next 4 seasons. In 97 Joe Carter took over whoe played for Sarge, and Sarge came back to assist and War Eagles was back again attached to the RC football name even though it has yet to appear on a jersey. Today you still see the media sometimes refer to RC as the War Eagles, or Lady War Eagles even though the ladies have never attached that to any sports team.

To thevols, the best jerseys I think I saw from Hurley was when I played against them one year they wore a gray top and red pants I think it was.

I played in the old gray jerseys back in the late 80's. I think they only use the red,blue(which I hate because it looks like none of them fit right), and the white ones with red trim. I don't know when they quit using the gray jersey, kinda wish they would bring it back and drop the blue jerseys.

Guest Woolybugger
Anyone know anything about the following,

Has Tazewell Co always been Tazewell, Richlands, Graham and Pocahontas?

Has Scott County always been Rye Cove, Twin Springs and Gate City?

Has Russell Co always been Honaker, Lebanon and Castlewood?

Has Wythe Co always been George Wythe, Rural Retreat and Fort Chiswell?

Have Bland/Rocky Gap always been played sports as Bland County?

Carroll Co was Hillsville HS and Woodlawn HS, any idea on mascots and colors?

I have some other holes still not filled in regard to mascots/colors but I will put the missing stuff up later(when I get it organized lol). Does anyone else find this as interesting as I do?

Hillsville – Black/orange, Indians

Woodlawn – Maroon/white or gray, Raiders.

Also, Bland County's first year was 1992, varsity football only, blue/orange, Bears. They may have played a couple years of JV ball before that. Rocky Gap and Bland played other sports separately for a few more years.

Wasn't Jackson Memorial near Fort Chiswell a high school?

And there was a high school in Pembroke in Giles County I think.

Hillsville – Black/orange, Indians

Woodlawn – Maroon/white or gray, Raiders.

Also, Bland County's first year was 1992, varsity football only, blue/orange, Bears. They may have played a couple years of JV ball before that. Rocky Gap and Bland played other sports separately for a few more years.

Wasn't Jackson Memorial near Fort Chiswell a high school?

And there was a high school in Pembroke in Giles County I think.

Jackson Memorial is just down 52 from Ft. Chiswell. It's still an elementary school I think.

The Pembroke High School building is now apartments.

the latest grad I found from Jackson Memorial in Austinville was 1960, which was also the year that FC opened, but I don't know if any other HS went in the new bldg w/ JM.

Did Max Meadows and Ivanhoe have High Schools at one time?

Tazewell Co. High School ('cross tha trax in Bluefield, VA) closed sometime in the 60s (maybe) and those kids went to Graham. That school became Graham Junior High until Graham Middle School opened in 1981.

not meaning to sound racist, but was Tazewell Co. High an all black school?

and can anybody tell me anything about a Tazewell County College?

I believe Giles had 5 or 6 high schools at one time. Most of the early high schools were called colleges. Gladeville College in Wise County and Russell College in Russell County come to mind. There was a high school at Burkes Garden at one time. I have handled one of their annuals. The colors were either maroon and white or Maroon and grey- can't remember a nickname. I think Washington and Lee Counties had more high schools than any other localities in this section of Virginia.

Guest Highlanders

Pulaski H.S. was the Orioles (Black, Orange, White) & Dublin H.S. was the Dukes (Carolina Blue & White) Both schools consolidated in fall 1974 in which Dublin Dukes football coach Dave Brown became Pulaski County's first head football coach. Dublin played their home games at Soldier Field which is home to Dublin Middle School, and Pulaski played their home games at historic Calfee Park (Home of the Mariners).

Guest Highlanders

Was the old Beaver High School in Bluefield the Beavers? Have they always been Maroon & White? Another things, was the old Ramsey School one time Beaver High School or a junior high school? What about the old Wade School, what that a junior high?

Was the old Beaver High School in Bluefield the Beavers? Have they always been Maroon & White? Another things, was the old Ramsey School one time Beaver High School or a junior high school? What about the old Wade School, what that a junior high?

Beaver High School is/was the big building that sits up above the McDonald's and Captain D's in Bluefield, WV...huge brick building, you can't miss it. Pretty sure that back in the day before Mitchell Stadium, Beaver played their home football games at Wade in that big lot that is now a parking lot and basketball court area. As for Ramsey, don't know if it was ever Bluefield High School...if it was, it was back in the pre-30s era. Beaver High School became Central Junior High and was closed with the building of Bluefield Middle School in the late 80s. Fairview Junior High was also consolidated into the new Middle School and that building was torn down. As for Beaver High School being the Beavers, good question. As far as I know, it was always just called "Beaver"...some "old-timers" still refer to Bluefield High School as "Beaver" to this very day.

Graham High School used to be located where Graham Intermediate School is. The building burned in the 50s and a new high school was built in Double Gates (the current school). Graham Intermediate rose from the ashes of the old Graham High School. Pretty sure the gymnasium at GIS is the old gym of high school...the only thing that survived the fire.

You are right about the gym at GIS being the only part of the original building to survive the fire. That has to be about the oldest gym in any school anywhere. I love going in there and am always amazed at how small and old it is.