Consolidated school info

redtiger

You are right about the gym at GIS being the only part of the original building to survive the fire. That has to be about the oldest gym in any school anywhere. I love going in there and am always amazed at how small and old it is.

I love the old scoreboard and clock in the gym. It has gotten a new floor in recent years, probably 4-5 years ago.

I love the old scoreboard and clock in the gym. It has gotten a new floor in recent years, probably 4-5 years ago.

I loved that old scoreboard up in the corner, too! That, and the old tile floor gave the gym character, as did the basketball goals mounted directly to the wall opposite the stands. Also seem to remember that the goals weren't quite 10 feet high.

The last time I was in there was probably in the late 80s, playing Bluefield, VA rec league basketball. Seemed so small compared to what I remembered as a 9-11 year old boy going to school there. The gym equipment storage room was in a little room under the stands at the entrance way into the school...a little room full of basketballs and kickballs. Many games of basketball, dodge ball, and crab soccer were played in the gym. Loved how it doubled as a cafeteria during lunch, too. One year, I had gym right before lunch and we used to help Mr. Hale pull the fold-up tables out and get them set up so everyone had a place to sit and eat...those were stored under the stands on the opposite end of the gym. I remember how they used to put the garbage cans at one end of the gym during lunch to dump your uneaten food in when you were finished...on warm days, they put the cans outside with the doors propped open and a rope around the cans from one door to the other to keep the kids from "running off" after they emptied their trays. I remember spending every morning in the stands before homeroom...buses would unload and kids would file in and sit and wait until the homeroom bell rang. Lots of time was wasted there playing electronic games (Mattel football and basketball, especially). Lots of fond childhood memories were made in that gym.

handheld01.jpg

TEMPLATE%20hh%20mattel%20basketball%20console%20front%20EX.JPG

Guest Woolybugger

1969 - Stuart & Hardin Reynolds become Patrick Co. Cougars

Was Hardin Reynolds the H.S. in Meadows of Dan?

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is what I have, enjoy

Lee High Generals - Red, Gold

Pennington Gap Bobcats - Black, Gold

St. Charles Midgets - Powder Blue, Grey (combined w/ PGHS before Lee High was formed)

Flatwoods Eagles - Red, White

Keokee Mountainers - Navy, Grey, Yellow

Dryden Crusaders - Blue , Yellow

Jonesville Bulldogs - Blue, Yellow

Blackwater Crusaders - Orange, Black (combined w/ JHS before Lee High was formed)

Powell Valley Vikings - Powder Blue, Red

Big Stone Gap Buccaneers - Navy, Gold

East Stone Gap Tigers - Green, White

Carnes Tigers - Blue, Red

Twin Valley Panthers - Black, Purple, Silver

Garden Green Dragons - Green, Yellow

Whitewood Indians - Maroon, White

Northwood Panthers - Navy, Silver

R.B. Worthy Shakers - Maroon Grey

Rich Valley Steers - Burgandy Yellow

Grayson County Blue Devils Navy, Gold

Independence Blue Devils - Navy, Gold

Fries Wildcats - Red, White

Magna Vista Warriors - Navy, Red, Silver

G.W. Carver Trojans - Green, Yellow

Drewry Mason Spartans - Black, Gold

(Later merged into MVHS) Laurel Park Lancers - Powder Blue, red

Pulaski County Cougars - Burgandy, Gold

Pulaski Orioles - Black, Orange

Dublin Dukes - Powder Blue, White

Bassett Bengals - Blue, Orange

John D. Bassett Bengals - Blue, White

Fieldale-Collinsville Cavaliers - Purple, Orange

Bland County Bears - Blue, Orange (combine only for sports)

Bland Rockets - Maroon, Gold

Rocky Gap Eagles - Green, White

Twin Springs Titans - Red, Blue

Dungannon Eagles - Red, White

Nickelsville Green Hornets - Green, Yellow

Carroll County Cavaliers - Navy, Silver

Hillsville Indians - Black, Orange

Woodlawn Raiders - Maroon, Grey

Pocahontas Indians - Black, Orange (closed, students sent to Tazewell and Graham)

Sugar Grove Maple Leafs - Green, White (closed, students sent to Marion and Chilhowie)

Thats all ive got if anyone has any other info just post it and I will edit this post

Edited by redtiger

St. Charles was gray and royal blue I believe. At least their LL teams always were when they wore the Midgets jerseys.

Dungannon Eagles were Red and White.

I thought Nicklesville was the Green Hornets, and wore yellow and green. At least that is what their LL teams always have wore.

Thanks, not sure where I got Bulldogs from?

I bought a hat the other day($1) that has Keokee High School on it, it is Navy and Yellow so I assume those were the schools colors

Edited by redtiger

One I can't believe I forgot is Sugar Grove. I don't know years. But it was a high school and is now a middle school. Sugar Grove middle schoolers choose between Chilhowie and Marion high schools. I know their colors are predominantly green and maybe white. I don't even know their mascot, we always called them "The Grovers" but that might just be a nickname. I don't think they ever had a football team and I want to say they closed as a high school in the late 60's.

One I can't believe I forgot is Sugar Grove. I don't know years. But it was a high school and is now a middle school. Sugar Grove middle schoolers choose between Chilhowie and Marion high schools. I know their colors are predominantly green and maybe white. I don't even know their mascot, we always called them "The Grovers" but that might just be a nickname. I don't think they ever had a football team and I want to say they closed as a high school in the late 60's.

Pretty sure Sugar Grove were and still are called the Maple Leafs and green and white is correct on the colors.

Edited by 2dalejrfanz

I bought a hat the other day($1) that has Keokee High School on it, it is Navy and Yellow so I assume those were the schools colors

Unless my memory is failing, their color scheme was very similar to Thomas Walkers and St. Charles, except that it wasnavy blue and gray I think. Dryden was blue and yellow. It seems like one of their last years of existence their yellow was neon yellow on their basketball uniforms.

East Stone Gap Tigers colors were green and white. Carnes was the all black school in BSG, was turned into the middle school when PV was built and before PV middle school. I have know idea what Carnes colors were other than the gym floor was marked in red.

ESG was the county school in the Powell Valley area, BSG was a town system. The original name of Carnes was Bland High School. I recall the colors as blue and white and the mascot as a tiger. Played in a scrimmage game against St, Charles in '67 - remember they wore Carolina blue and white. Blackwater closed in"66 or '67 and the kids went to Jonesville- I recall their colors were orange and black and their nickname Crusaders. I think Sugar Grove closed about the same time- think their colors were either green and gold or green and white.