John Battle @ Abingdon baseball

50kw

Slacker, you may be the biggest JACKA$$ on this board. Stay off the Falcons - they lost because I didn't get to make the game (because my dad is STUPID and over reacts!!!!!) to get them pumped up.:mad:

That Won't Happen Again!

slacker, you may be the biggest jacka$$ on this board. Stay off the falcons - they lost because i didn't get to make the game (because my dad is stupid and over reacts!!!!!) to get them pumped up.:mad:

That won't happen again!

wtf??? Lol

Slacker, you may be the biggest JACKA$$ on this board. Stay off the Falcons - they lost because I didn't get to make the game (because my dad is STUPID and over reacts!!!!!) to get them pumped up.:mad:

That Won't Happen Again!

Oh! I get it now...you're a Falcon Cheerleader...that explains a lot, you know, all the posts about "Dancing With The Stars" and how awesome the AHS band is...

That Won't Happen Again!

I feel the love, and must admit that your excuse is better than mine.

Oh! I get it now...you're a Falcon Cheerleader...that explains a lot, you know, all the posts about "Dancing With The Stars" and how awesome the AHS band is...

I feel the love, and must admit that your excuse is better than mine.

Man don't even start! Bad week and its not over yet. What is this? Pick on the Falcons, kick a man when he's down, but wait you guys pull for graham? What does the G stand for in GMEN? Gullible? Cause when you play the Falcons we make you gullible and vulnerable! Yeah I said it! We will be back BABY!

Ps: And if my dad is reading this - hey dad I'm still mad, so suck 2!:mad:

John Battle shuts out Abingdon 11-0

By BY JOHNNY WILSON

Published: March 23, 2011

ABINGDON, Va. - Keith Davis knows a little about winning baseball, and the first-year John Battle head coach no doubt likes what he sees in the 2011 edition of the Trojans.

The rookie leader was certainly grinning Tuesday night after Battle posted a stunning 11-0 rout of homestanding Abingdon in a non-district affair between Washington County rivals.

The Trojans, who dropped a tough 8-6 loss to Tennessee High last week, are now 1-1 on the young season.

“We’ve got a great group of guys who work extremely hard,†said Davis, a key member of Battle’s back-to-back state championship teams in 2000 and 2001. “They've got the attitude needed to be successful, and they make it a joy to come to work every day.

“We’re still relatively young - we have no seniors - but coach [Larry] Cannon did such a great job here before he left. We’ve got the pieces in place to be successful.â€

The Trojans may have opened a few eyes by whipping the defending Southwest District champion Falcons, who were playing their opener.

Longtime Abingdon coach Mark Francisco offered no excuses.

“Battle is very well coached,†the veteran said. “They’re scrappy and they got after us, taking advantage of every opportunity they had.

“We didn’t help ourselves very much, but hats off to Battle. They played a good baseball game and we didn’t.â€

Battle scored three times in the second inning after losing pitcher Heath Shelton walked the bases loaded, two runs coming home on a Josh Hughes single up the middle. The Trojans then added runs in the third and fourth innings on RBI singles from Cody Rogers and winning pitcher Jake Cumbo, assuming a 5-0 advantage.

All five runs were the product of two-out basehits.

“That’s a testament to the work that the kids have put in down in the cage with coach [Chase] Buchanan, our hitting coach,†Davis said. “We’ve talked to ‘em about not trying to outthink themselves at the plate, but to just trust their abilities. And we’re doing that.â€

Battle blew the game open with a six-run fifth inning, capitalizing on three Abingdon errors. Adam Cole ignited the Trojan rally with a run-scoring single, before Rogers made it a 10-0 game by driving in a pair with his second hit of the night.

Hughes and Rogers each had three RBIs for the winners, who collected seven hits.

It all made for an easy night for Cumbo, a junior right-hander who allowed only two hits while striking out three and walking four in his four innings of work. Junior Clark closed the game for Battle, which took advantage of the 10-run mercy rule to win in five innings.

“Jake pitched an outstanding game,†said Davis. “He worked himself into a couple of trouble spots, but I was really proud of how he was able to work himself out of trouble. He did a great job.

“It was just a great night for us, a great first win of the season.â€

Battle goes to Tennessee High on Thursday, while Abingdon travels to meet Virginia High that evening.