New rule : 10-10-6*

VHSLhelper

Looks like A & AA schools will limit out-of-season practices to 26 "total" days for all sports, based thusly...

a 2 week dead period at the start of the seasons (Fall, Winter and Spring) the sport isn't played, then 10 practice days the rest of that season.

a 1 week National dead period during July and 6 Summer practice days.

7-on-7 camps WILL COUNT towards the total, but college camps won't.

AA schools WILL allow ONLY helmets to be used for fb practice.

VHSL catastrophic insurance will NOT cover the practice days.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/highschool/dp-spt-pd-offseason-0426-20110420,0,3389409.story

Don't know now 7-on-7's were run before that skirted the rule.

Bball always used a player from another school for AAU.

Have no clue how wrestling clubs got by, either, but everyone had their own little loophole, and I don't know if those were closed or not.

Don't know now 7-on-7's were run before that skirted the rule.

Bball always used a player from another school for AAU.

Have no clue how wrestling clubs got by, either, but everyone had their own little loophole, and I don't know if those were closed or not.

I just know that last season, Coach Witten had the football team do a LOT of 7 on 7's over the summer. I think the 7 on 7 craze started at Battle when Strong became coach (only thing I liked about that was that we actually had some of the tournaments at Battle). Just ask the Virginia High people. I don't know how many times we played them at 7 on 7 last year, but it seems like 10 times or so, lol. Camps would probably work better anyway and I think the new rule said that college camps don't count toward practices so that's good.

Not trying to point a finger at JSB or VAHigh but I personally see a problem with more than 2-3 7on7 matches(?). I mean for a spread team or a team that intends on using the spread alot that is basically a practice and should count as such.

Edited by redtiger

i dont think 7 on 7's should count...i think that's a good thing for the kids.

this all stems from whoever it was that got busted last year for off season practices...knew there would be some fallout, but man...drive the nail home with a sledgehammer why don't you.

But should teams be basically practicing all summer long? But the more I think about it, 7on7s arent interfering w/ an athletes ability to participate in any other sport. So is summer practice really a big deal, I will have to think on this one a little bit

Youre right it is fallout from that mess last year

Edited by redtiger

It's actually been bandied about for a few years, just now getting into agreement to open it up.

I've always wanted to see teams allowed to practice for 1 week after their last game, so coaches could see the returners together and the Srs could offer pointers.

Actually, this may not be completely from the infractions last year. There have been numerous high school football coaches around Virginia complaining about the 7 on 7's for several years now. The I formation and power running guys are the ones that have been ranting. The 7 on 7's are as good for defense as they are for offense. To me it almost seems that the coaches that are not willing to spend the extra time with their kids are the ones with the biggest beefs. That is a shame.

I've always wanted to see teams allowed to practice for 1 week after their last game, so coaches could see the returners together and the Srs could offer pointers.

I like it. It could also be dont at the end of the school year. But I dont know if there would be much of a Sr turnout.

I wouldnt mind seeing a June week long "camp" where at the end a team could be part of a 7on7 tournament

Actually, this may not be completely from the infractions last year. There have been numerous high school football coaches around Virginia complaining about the 7 on 7's for several years now. The I formation and power running guys are the ones that have been ranting. The 7 on 7's are as good for defense as they are for offense. To me it almost seems that the coaches that are not willing to spend the extra time with their kids are the ones with the biggest beefs. That is a shame.

7 on 7 has changed the landscape. If you have a passing coach and are willing to do the work it adds dimensions. Look what it has done to the River Ridge. Cave, Christiansburg, and I'm sure Pulaski soon, with their no huddle coach, have changed the standard there.

I feel that the 7on7s actually pushes offenses even more toward a spread style offense. Not just because the QB and Backs get more reps themselves but by the time 2adays start they are way ahead of the linemen

I dont post on here much at all anymore but thought I'd offer a coaches view on this. 7on7's can create bad tendancies for defensive players. What do we want our LB's to do first? Take a read step.......7 ON 7'S tend to get them in a bad habit of taking that first step backwards because they KNOW it's a pass. As an LB...you step backwards, we have an empty gap not getting filled. As much as we're coaching it the right way, 7on7's can produce the exact opposite of what we're coaching. Once a bad habit is formed, it's hard to break. On the offensive side of the ball, I dont have any problem with it. If I was a Power I, Double TE offense, I'd still want to get in atleast a 3 or 4 7on7's each summer. As much as I love to run the football, you have to be able to throw it also. Gotta keep the D honest. I played at Appalachia and everyone thinks of us as 3 yards and a cloud of dust. In all honesty, without our PA game and Screen game, we would've been hurting.

I believe you've got to find a good balance during the summer. IMO, anything more than four or five 7on7's can do more harm than good. Another thing...Winning 7on 7 match ups shouldnt be a point of concern. You want the kids to 1)compete, and 2) Get better, and 3) Do things the right way. Alot of coaches are starting to look at it as a competition more than a great teaching tool. Personally, Im watching my recievers splits and routes more than the outcome of the play. I want to see my guys get off bump coverage and things like that.....Execute what they've been taught. Alot of coaches get caught up in the outcome and forget about teaching.

BTW; in response to red tiger, anytime our skill guys are in a 7 on 7, it's a good idea to have the Lineman doing something together also. my rule of thumb, 7 on 7 in the evening means Lineman camp or workouts during the morning. It's tough on the coaching staff, but winning doesnt come easy.

Edited by battleftbl

I dont post on here much at all anymore but thought I'd offer a coaches view on this. 7on7's can create bad tendancies for defensive players. What do we want our LB's to do first? Take a read step.......7 ON 7'S tend to get them in a bad habit of taking that first step backwards because they KNOW it's a pass. As an LB...you step backwards, we have an empty gap not getting filled. As much as we're coaching it the right way, 7on7's can produce the exact opposite of what we're coaching. Once a bad habit is formed, it's hard to break. On the offensive side of the ball, I dont have any problem with it. If I was a Power I, Double TE offense, I'd still want to get in atleast a 3 or 4 7on7's each summer. As much as I love to run the football, you have to be able to throw it also. Gotta keep the D honest. I played at Appalachia and everyone thinks of us as 3 yards and a cloud of dust. In all honesty, without our PA game and Screen game, we would've been hurting.

I believe you've got to find a good balance during the summer. IMO, anything more than four or five 7on7's can do more harm than good. Another thing...Winning 7on 7 match ups shouldnt be a point of concern. You want the kids to 1)compete, and 2) Get better, and 3) Do things the right way. Alot of coaches are starting to look at it as a competition more than a great teaching tool. Personally, Im watching my recievers splits and routes more than the outcome of the play. I want to see my guys get off bump coverage and things like that.....Execute what they've been taught. Alot of coaches get caught up in the outcome and forget about teaching.

BTW; in response to red tiger, anytime our skill guys are in a 7 on 7, it's a good idea to have the Lineman doing something together also. my rule of thumb, 7 on 7 in the evening means Lineman camp or workouts during the morning. It's tough on the coaching staff, but winning doesnt come easy.

I dont agree at all...a good LB is taught to read and react, not step one way or another then react...Richlands doesn't seem to have a problem with it? They do 7 on 7's and have for years? Year in and year out, they put some of the best LB's and DB's on the field in this area.

He has a strong point. That actually may help LB's form bad habits. That was a good post that offered some insight. Lance is right and wrong, in my opinion. It hasn't hurt the Richlands LB's, but, Richlands has had some very special linebackers over the last 6-8 years.

He has a strong point. That actually may help LB's form bad habits. That was a good post that offered some insight. Lance is right and wrong, in my opinion. It hasn't hurt the Richlands LB's, but, Richlands has had some very special linebackers over the last 6-8 years.

i just dont buy it...my opinion.

Having moved to S.C., you can see the difference in HS football and players.

Down here they allow the HS's to have a spring football practice (no pads). I think it

usually runs for at least 2 weeks plus they have the 7 on 7 in the summer. Dosen't seem

to cause any problems and they are ready for the fall season when it starts.