Richlands annexing Claypool Hill

As a resident of Richlands, they already provide most of the basic services (Ambulance Etc.) to the area, so I don't really see where it will change anything much for those that already live in Richlands, I have read that taxes are actually higher in the proposed areas than they will be if/when this happens.The biggest holdup is delusional Cedar Bluff residents that seem to think they should get to annex that area when they provide NOTHING for themselves and already live off of the areas around them.Of course where there is potential money involved.. people want to get their hands in the cookie jar. I have family that lives in Cedar Bluff that want in annexed so it isnt all residents there, just the few that unfortunately hold all the authority.

if i was in Claypool Hill I wouldn't like it because then you will have to deal with Richlands instead of just the County...probably a great deal for Richlands, bad deal for the Hill....as stated before they already enjoy the benifits of using Richlands services...so don't see much for them to gain from it?

I see your point Lance, what I have actually said for a couple years now is that if Cedar Bluff and Claypool Hill don't wish to " be a part of Richlands" then they should provide their own services and take care of themselves, of course in this time of political correctness this will never happen, it just annoys me when these guys stand there with their hands out and then shun "belonging" to the ones that actually help take care of their problems. Get with the program or get out I say.

so, if Richlands annexes Claypool Hill, then that will mean Cedar Bluff is in the middle of Richlands on both sides? whats the deal with Cedar Bluff anyways? why is it even a town? and isnt Richlands High School actually in Cedar Bluff?

Richlands High School is indeed within Cedar Bluff limits. While I'm sure I'm not close enough to the situation to know all the details it seems be bickering over money and such as to why Cedar Bluff wants to continue as their own town.. and mostly foolish pride, I won't ramble on about it as I did before you can tell what I think by my previous post.

Cedar Bluff is the smaller town that has the advantage of being in the right place geographically. It is all about money for both communities. The Claypool Hill area is a cash cow when it comes to real estate and business license revenue. These are the reasons that the fight will be so long and interesting.

The best solution for the County as a whole would be for Richlands to annex both Cedar Bluff and Claypool Hill. Do I expect that to happen? No

Richlands High School is indeed within Cedar Bluff limits. While I'm sure I'm not close enough to the situation to know all the details it seems be bickering over money and such as to why Cedar Bluff wants to continue as their own town.. and mostly foolish pride, I won't ramble on about it as I did before you can tell what I think by my previous post.

I beleave Richlands High School is in the town limits of Richlands now. It has been for a couple of years since the last annex took place a few years ago, before that the school was in a area that neither town had the land was part of the county. I think that is why you see Richlands PD working all of the sports events now.

wonder how the county feels about richlands taking over CPH? That would probably cost them some tax dollars wouldnt it? most of the retail economy for the county is probably in CPH...or would they just double dip and charge county and town tax? if so then I see why Richlands would want it...lol.

I beleave Richlands High School is in the town limits of Richlands now. It has been for a couple of years since the last annex took place a few years ago, before that the school was in a area that neither town had the land was part of the county. I think that is why you see Richlands PD working all of the sports events now.

Thats correct, I believe. When I worked at the Dollar General right there in the shopping center beside the HS in 09' our address changed from Cedar Bluff to Richlands, but the side of the street with Taco Bell remained Cedar Bluff.

wonder how the county feels about richlands taking over CPH? That would probably cost them some tax dollars wouldnt it? most of the retail economy for the county is probably in CPH...or would they just double dip and charge county and town tax? if so then I see why Richlands would want it...lol.

Probably wouldn't cost the county much of anything. Real estate taxes would be assessed by both the town and the county. Certain other taxes (meals, BPOL, inventory) are the exclusive domain of one or the other, but those would probably be a wash.

The County would lose Merchants Capital Tax or Business License Revenue on the businesses in Claypool Hill. They could also lose Utility Tax revenue or Hotel Tax revenue is both have those taxes. The biggest loses for the County would be Merchant/BPOL and Utility taxes. Still shouldn't be a huge hit $10,000 maybe.

Richlands would pick up an additional 5% meals tax from all the restaurants...that would be an additional $10,000-$15,000/month from McD's sales alone...

Sales not that good there? When I used to budget meals tax revenue for Town I found McDs or Hardees to be good for $3,000 - $4,000 per month @ 3%.

Meals Tax will be the big revenue source. McDs, Waffle & Egg, and Wendys will be nice chunks of change. They could also get Meals Tax revenue from Kathy's Catering as well.

Sales not that good there? When I used to budget meals tax revenue for Town I found McDs or Hardees to be good for $3,000 - $4,000 per month @ 3%.

Meals Tax will be the big revenue source. McDs, Waffle & Egg, and Wendys will be nice chunks of change. They could also get Meals Tax revenue from Kathy's Catering as well.

Italian Village, the Oink Joint, Subway, just to name a few more, actually, two subways in CPH.

You may need to re-read my post...$10,000-$15,000/month in meals tax revenue from the Claypool Hill McD (equates to $200,000-$300,000 in sales per month @ 5% tax...typically in the mid to upper range most of the time)...

$3,000-$4,000 @ 3% is only about $100,000-$135,000 in sales/month...

My apologies for missing that is was monthly figure. It has obviously been a few years since I have projected any revenues. I know most towns now charge the 5%.

Just out of curiosity, have the coffee sales been as good an addition to the bottom line as I think they would be.