Will Farrell wins Mark Twain prize for humor

Really? Is he of the same stature as previous winners like Bill Cosby, Richard Pryor, Steve Martin, George Carlin, or Billy Crystal?

I could have seen Mel Brooks, Jerry Seinfeld, Ellen DeGeneres, even Adam Sandler before Farrell.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/arts-post/post/will-ferrell-man-of-many-impressions-tapped-for-twain-prize/2011/05/11/AFEVftsG_blog.html

Really? Is he of the same stature as previous winners like Bill Cosby, Richard Pryor, Steve Martin, George Carlin, or Billy Crystal?

I could have seen Mel Brooks, Jerry Seinfeld, Ellen DeGeneres, even Adam Sandler before Farrell.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/arts-post/post/will-ferrell-man-of-many-impressions-tapped-for-twain-prize/2011/05/11/AFEVftsG_blog.html

This is all IMO.

Ferrell is clearly superior to Billy Crystal. He doesn't have the cultural significance of Cosby. He doesn't have the groundbreaking style of Pryor. He doesn't have the longevity of Martin. He doesn't have the straight-up irreverence of Carlin. But for a solid decade, he was the funniest actor in show business. He OWNED the 2000s. He really had no equal. He even made a legitimate career for John C. Reilly, which is an impressive feat.

I don't think Ellen Degeneres should even sniff this award. Not even close.

I think Jerry Seinfeld is the most overrated comedian ever. There, I said it. He was flanked by the best supporting cast in television history on Seinfeld, a cast that went far out of its way to sell the Hell out of everything Jerry ever did. I find his standup routine to be stale and generally unhumorous. But everyone will remember him for Seinfeld, and he'll sell out shows for the rest of his life.

I think you have a good idea with Mel Brooks, though with time, his prestige will lose a bit of its luster. I also think Adam Sandler would be a worthy choice, but I still think Ferrell edges him. Barely.

This is all IMO.

Ferrell is clearly superior to Billy Crystal. He doesn't have the cultural significance of Cosby. He doesn't have the groundbreaking style of Pryor. He doesn't have the longevity of Martin. He doesn't have the straight-up irreverence of Carlin. But for a solid decade, he was the funniest actor in show business. He OWNED the 2000s. He really had no equal. He even made a legitimate career for John C. Reilly, which is an impressive feat.

I don't think Ellen Degeneres should even sniff this award. Not even close.

I think Jerry Seinfeld is the most overrated comedian ever. There, I said it. He was flanked by the best supporting cast in television history on Seinfeld, a cast that went far out of its way to sell the Hell out of everything Jerry ever did. I find his standup routine to be stale and generally unhumorous. But everyone will remember him for Seinfeld, and he'll sell out shows for the rest of his life.

I think you have a good idea with Mel Brooks, though with time, his prestige will lose a bit of its luster. I also think Adam Sandler would be a worthy choice, but I still think Ferrell edges him. Barely.

First paragraph, I agree completely. Although, John C. Reilly is talented beyond comedy, I agree Farrell helped him along. Reilly has his own Adult Swim show and even did well in singing a majority of the tracks on Walk Hard.

I actually find Ellen to be funnier and even more original than Jerry Seinfeld. I'd rank her well above him. As for Jerry, his stand up is nice if you're 55 and older. He plays nice with the older group but for me, yeah, its too stale. I love the crap out of the Seinfeld sitcom but I have Larry David to thank for that. Curb Your Enthusiasm is basically Seinfeld with cursing which can't be beat.

Sandler was more 90's. Farrell more 00's.

I see Mel Brooks as having pioneered a lot of comedy. Spaceballs is one of the best mockery films ever. Silent Movie had an unbelievable following for being a ..well.. silent movie. And Blazing Saddles pushed several socially acceptable envelopes and holds up over time. But as an actor...Mel Brooks is meh.

Moreover, no Bill Murray? Jim Carey?

If Billy Crystal and Whoopi Goldberg can win this award...

Jim Carrey's had a surprisingly good career, though I think his comedic worth is devalued a bit by that misguided segue into serious material. I have a hard time putting Carrey on that kind of a pedestal, because it always seemed to me as if he were trying too hard to be funny, whereas it came natural with Ferrell, Steve Martin, Carlin, etc. Can't deny that his career has been both great, funny, and long.

Bill Murray is an interesting case for me. Murray had an uncanny ability to disappear for half a decade at a time. Yes, I know he put up some wonderful performances. Caddyshack, Stripes, Ghostbusters, Groundhog Day, Kingpin were all A-work. But he fell off the face of the Earth in the mid-1980s, resurfaced again in 1990, and then was gone again by 1995. When I look at a comedian who is not a standup guy, I don't want to see a resume full of holes. And Murray's is. Yeah, I'm probably nitpicking. But that's why I can't lump him with the all-time greats. He's like the movie version of Bill Walton.

BTW, he submitted one of my favorite performances ever in Lost in Translation. Showed a versatility that I didn't think he had. But again, this was a good half-decade after the last substantial thing he did. Quintessential Bill Murray.

John C. Reilly had a strong career going before Farrell. Oscar nominated for Chicago.

Personally, I have always seen Farrell as a one note singer. I won't argue Seinfeld, his humor is not my thing. Larry David is the genius there.

Personally, I like Degeneres stand up, I always found it hit a nice note. I could even have thrown in Chris Rock, whose stand up is on a par with some of the best.

To me if you can recognize Farrell for a decade, why not Eddie Murphy for the 80's

What I love about Bill Murray is that he has no manager and does what ever film he wants, big role, small role, walk-on it doesn't matter. One of his best roles is as the roommate in the Dustin Hoffman film "Tootsie." He stole the movie.

John C. Reilly had a strong career going before Farrell. Oscar nominated for Chicago.

I may have jumped the gun a smidge on Reilly. Looked at his IMDB page, and he was in a surprising number of decent films. However, his parts in those films ("Days of Thunder", "Hoffa", "What's Eating Gilbert Grape") were bit parts, to put it lightly. Nothing even remotely significant until "Boogie Nights". "Chicago" was probably his biggest work before he teamed up with Ferrell, but he also had "The Aviator".

However, I will stand by my assertion that Ferrell has carried Reilly since "Talladega Nights".

To me if you can recognize Farrell for a decade, why not Eddie Murphy for the 80's

Because Eddie Murphy's career crashed and burned like Challenger after 1990. That's why.

He's only had 2 semi-redeeming things: the first "Dr. Doolittle" and the first "Nutty Professor". And he drove those DEEP into the ground.

Edited by UVAObserver

Guest The Variable

Did Whoopi win this award? She is so decidedly UNfunny. She was good in Star Trek...and she did that part in Sister Act (which is the only comedy I remember her for). Aside from that she is nothing more than a footnote in Ghost and another whining busibody on "the view [toilet]"

None of you mentioned Dave Chappelle. Just curious as to why. He arguably owned the 2000's too prior to his haitus. Seth Greene is also a good candidate because he has been funny AND produced some pretty funny stuff (Robot Chicken).

And lets not forget his fantastic work as Reed Rothchild, Dirk Diggler's partner in crime, in the great American classic, Boogie Nights...

reed_rothchild_a.jpg

If you argue Seth Green, you could arge Seth MacFarlane for the entire Fox prime-time and the Seth Comedy-slots on YouTube.

Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock are similar in my book. Both have better stand-up careers than acting abilities although each have a few funny movies. Chris Rock had SNL, Chappelle had Chappelle show. I think either would be worthy candidates.

Don't forget Eddie Murphy as Donkey on Shrek, lol.

I still can't believe they shot Bill Murray in Zombieland...gets me every single time.

And I agree, Whoopi Goldberg does not belong but I don't feel Billy Crystal does either.

John Candy would no doubt be elligble for this award if he were still alive.

Did Whoopi win this award? She is so decidedly UNfunny. She was good in Star Trek...and she did that part in Sister Act (which is the only comedy I remember her for). Aside from that she is nothing more than a footnote in Ghost and another whining busibody on "the view [toilet]"

None of you mentioned Dave Chappelle. Just curious as to why. He arguably owned the 2000's too prior to his haitus. Seth Greene is also a good candidate because he has been funny AND produced some pretty funny stuff (Robot Chicken).

I agree with your take on Whoopi. I think people overreacted to the "comedienne...black...female...MUST MAKE HER A STAR" hype. Nothing against Whoopi at all, it's just that the late-80s/early-90s media hyped her to gargantuan levels for the reasons I mentioned. It's what the media does.

For me, Dave Chappelle = John Belushi. Pantheon-level funny, career ended far too short.

Belushi ODed, Chappelle just quit. And it's a shame. He could've been the next Pryor, without the freebasing.

Will Farrell is great...the George Bush stuff he does is funny...and he does a lot of charity work...dude has done everything from Broadway to Stand up to SNL to major movies....he's as legit as anyone else I think.

Bill Murray's best movies:

1a. Caddyshack

1b. Space Jam

Groundhog Day, Stripes, Ghostbusters; wait a second, maybe Harold Ramis should be considered too. He wrote each of these, directed Groundhog Day and is not shabby as a supporting actor.

Should I? What the Hell. GERMANS! See Page 1.

Dare I say, I didn't see it listed in your post when I made my post...<edit></edit>...<edit></edit>....

Actually, I didn't read that far down...I quit at Hacker's post and made my post...