Appalachia/Powell Valley =

battleftbl

Something like a Gladiator seems to be the call. An Indian warrior wouldn't jive with the folks from Pound as it was a JJK thing

Thats the main reason I assumed Warriors wouldnt work. It will be interesting w/ Eastside being the Spartans, that takes any Roman/Trojan style mascot out of the equation

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone over on the Cumberland forum said the same thing. I like Bears but there are alot of things that could be done w/ the Storm as a mascot, to me it would be easier for the kids to get behind. But I do like the Bears. I also heard the color scheme might be Navy, Orange. I like that scheme but not w/ the mascot, is it really necessary to copy Chicago? If thats the mascot just go w/ Royal Blue and Powder Blue

I liked the Union Storm name because they were creative with the name as opposed to Eastside or Central.

I don't like Eastside or Central for various reasons. I think if one county school is to be named a directional name, the rest should be too. Secondly, it's not creative enough. The Warriors name should have been avoided. It's still pretty much the Indians which is JJ Kelly and kind of unfair to those representing the former Pound High School.

As for Union High, either the Bears or Storm sounds creative to me. I was hoping that for the love of whatever they wouldn't call them the Pioneers or Mountaineers. Those mascots are too easy and not creative. I'm glad the school name wasn't Lonesome Pine. Bleh. I think Lonesome Pine would have been creative if that weren't the name of the athletic conference/district.

Im not big on Union but atleast its original, I do like storm.

Orange and Navy bears is overused.

As far as Warriors, they are going in a completly different direction than Indians

Edited by redtiger

J.J.Kelly-Pound will be the Wise County Central Warriors with colors red,black,silver

Coeburn-St. Paul is Eastside Spartans with colors green,white,black I think. I know the JJK-Pound is right

Now, those are 2 names I can live with...."Warriors" and "Spartans"...but "Storm"...come on...may as well make the school colors pink with purple poca dots...

Now, those are 2 names I can live with...."Warriors" and "Spartans"...but "Storm"...come on...may as well make the school colors pink with purple poca dots...

don't give them any ideas.lol

I actually suggested on the survey (even though the survey wasn't for me, I did it anyway because I was bored and it didn't tell me I couldn't) the North Gate Riders. And was using North Gate referencing the Pound/Wise area as being the northern entrance into the state from Kentucky. Thought it had a good Lord of the Rings feel to it but also a name that sounds tough and could be rallied around.

North Gate... City?

No... no cities. Nothing related to Gate City. I just felt that Wise Co would somehow sneak a direction in there and if they did, it shouldn't be a generic North Wise but more of a North (something North in Wise County). North Entrance sounds more like an obscure way to describe body parts and North Opening sounds worse. Gate seemed like the obvious option in my line of thinking although I anticipated there to be some connections drawn to Gate City.

Have they officially went w/ the bears and Navy, Orange?

No I havent heard anything specific for sure. Although im sure Eastside will go w/ something like Michigan State

And Dickenson County hasnt decided on a school name yet, apparently Ridgeview is just one possibility

Edited by redtiger

Have they officially went w/ the bears and Navy, Orange?

No I havent heard anything specific for sure. Although im sure Eastside will go w/ something like Michigan State

And Dickenson County hasnt decided on a school name yet, apparently Ridgeview is just one possibility

I don't know if it is offical or not just going by what a guy from over that way told me (He seemed convinced if that means anything LOL)

As for DC i hear that this is most likly what we are going with

http://www.w-christian.pvt.k12.ia.us/Athletics/Web%20pics/Wolfpack_white.jpg

I actually found that pic a few weeks ago while looking up wolfpack stuff, awesome logo. I just really dont think Black and Turquoise(my understanding is the color scheme is actually going to be what the Carolina Panthers use) goes w/ Wolfpack. DC should have chosen a mascot then chosen a color scheme to match. But at least we are going to be original

If using Wolfpack then they should have referenced the Eastern Red Wolf (indigenous species to the Eastern United States and our region) in the color scheme or mascot selection.

Don't we have enough turquiose, purple, silver, etc.? What ever happened to basic red, green, or blue? I know people want to be different but those colors aren't different anymore. They're common. If you want to be different then use colors from the old schools to make a unique combination for the new. Powell Valley blue with Appalachia gold would be an awesome combination. So would Appalachia blue with Powell Valley red.

As for the school names... Way too generic. Why not find three historical figures who mean something to everyone in the county and name the schools after them?

So whats that mean for the athletics?

Not sure what you mean.....All 3 WC schools will still be singal A.....As far as Div1 goes football is getting revamped this year as for the other sports Clintwood will be bumped down to Div1 other than that not sure what you are asking

What i meant was like...wouldn't that put some empty spots in everyones schedule? So technically Gate City will not be playing Powell Valley AND Appalachia..just "Union" (bad choice...shoulda went with Central)

What i meant was like...wouldn't that put some empty spots in everyones schedule? So technically Gate City will not be playing Powell Valley AND Appalachia..just "Union" (bad choice...shoulda went with Central)

I think everyone reworked there schedule (I know Clintwood did twice) If you have PV, Wise or Coeburn on your schedule then you are playing the consolidated school that took there place. to my knowledge no one still has Appy, StPaul or Pound on there schedule