Grundy Walmart

dont think Food City wont take a hit in Grundy...small blip on the radar in the big picture for them, but as far as that particular store goes, they will take a hit. People in Grundy have only had Food City for years...and they have not always been treated well, i think given any other choice they will go some place else to shop.

The Vansant Food City is the highest grossing store in the entire company (over 100 stores). Even more than the stores in the Knoxville and Pigeon Forge area. I'm sure they will take a hit, and probably wont be the highest grossing store in the company anymore, but I think they will be OK.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Vansant Food City is the highest grossing store in the entire company (over 100 stores). Even more than the stores in the Knoxville and Pigeon Forge area. I'm sure they will take a hit, and probably wont be the highest grossing store in the company anymore, but I think they will be OK.

thats because they are the only game in town and the prices they charge there reflect that...party over soon enough for them in Vansant.

Food City is the only one in Bluefield that Super Wal-Mart didn't kill. Family Dollar Food came in after that, but it takes so little of the market share that it's negligible. I think Food City will be fine.

Magic Mart and Peebles will surely take a hit. Both companies are good financially, and they have a little recognition in the community. Do keep us informed on how bad those two suffer.

Wal-Mart didn't kill Rasi's IGA. It actually still did well, what did them in was the tearing down all buildings in the flood plain downtown. They were going to buy the old Kroger building, but they wanted too much money and they were going to take all the freezers with them, which didn't make it feasible to buy the building. So they just closed up shop, and Rasi's bought another store in War, WV.

thats because they are the only game in town and the prices they charge there reflect that...party over soon enough for them in Vansant.

Ummm....they have the same prices and sales as the other stores in their District, and probably as most of the stores in the company. I think they usually run the same adds as the Food City in Claypool Hill.

I'm surprised that someone outside of Topix thinks FC's prices will drop.

The last 2 weeks ads were for Vansant, Richlands, Lebanon, Galax & Independence.

Early June was for Van, Rich, Blfd, Wise Co. & Clintwood.

And Rich, Leb & Blfd all have a WM within a mile of FC.

Don't have the foggiest idea why ppl. around here think FC's prices are too high... comparable to Food Lion and lower than Kroger (which WM killed in Rich & Blfd).

But I KNOW ppl. THINK FC is a rip-off, so they'll swear by WM, no matter what.

"Jack's been takin' our money out of the county for years". I know ppl. who would drive PAST the Vansant FC to go to Doran & Richlands... which did a REAL good job of keeping our money in the county.

As for new businesses, Richlands is the only WM I can rem. seeing that didn't include a plaza using the same parking lot. And those plaza guys all moved to the area with/after WM opened.

Ummm....they have the same prices and sales as the other stores in their District, and probably as most of the stores in the company. I think they usually run the same adds as the Food City in Claypool Hill.

they have good sales from time to time...all of the chains do, but just saying on average the FC prices are higher than what Walmart charges...FC has had no competition for years.

I'm surprised that someone outside of Topix thinks FC's prices will drop.

The last 2 weeks ads were for Vansant, Richlands, Lebanon, Galax & Independence.

Early June was for Van, Rich, Blfd, Wise Co. & Clintwood.

And Rich, Leb & Blfd all have a WM within a mile of FC.

Don't have the foggiest idea why ppl. around here think FC's prices are too high... comparable to Food Lion and lower than Kroger (which WM killed in Rich & Blfd).

But I KNOW ppl. THINK FC is a rip-off, so they'll swear by WM, no matter what.

"Jack's been takin' our money out of the county for years". I know ppl. who would drive PAST the Vansant FC to go to Doran & Richlands... which did a REAL good job of keeping our money in the county.

This is true... I just think given a choice people will shop at the new Walmart. There has been a lot that went on over the years that had a direct negative impact on Grundy...land purchases and so on to keep people out...you know the deal. Some people forget or don't care, and some will remember.

they have good sales from time to time...all of the chains do, but just saying on average the FC prices are higher than what Walmart charges...FC has had no competition for years.

This is true... I just think given a choice people will shop at the new Walmart. There has been a lot that went on over the years that had a direct negative impact on Grundy...land purchases and so on to keep people out...you know the deal. Some people forget or don't care, and some will remember.

All smaller chain's prices are higher than Walmart. That's what makes Walmart so appealing. A smaller chain just can't compete with Walmart on overall prices. But to say Food City has higher prices in Grundy because they have no competition just isn't true. As VHSLHelper pointed out they run the same prices and ads as other Food Cities in the area that do have direct competition from Walmart, and other grocery chains.

All smaller chain's prices are higher than Walmart. That's what makes Walmart so appealing. A smaller chain just can't compete with Walmart on overall prices. But to say Food City has higher prices in Grundy because they have no competition just isn't true. As VHSLHelper pointed out they run the same prices and ads as other Food Cities in the area that do have direct competition from Walmart, and other grocery chains.

the sale prices are the same because the sales flyers are regional...I'm not talking about what is on sale from week to week...would only make sense to do it that way. Food City is a pretty large chain, not small...i will say if it wasn't for Food City gas, Grundy would be paying quite a bit more. There is usually a 30 cent per gallon difference in the Exxon and Food City even though they are only about a mile apart? Also, things might have changed in recent years since they have announced that Wally World would open....they may have the same prices now at Vansant and Bristol on every item in the store, but it's not always been the case.

the sale prices are the same because the sales flyers are regional...I'm not talking about what is on sale from week to week...would only make sense to do it that way. Food City is a pretty large chain, not small...i will say if it wasn't for Food City gas, Grundy would be paying quite a bit more. There is usually a 30 cent per gallon difference in the Exxon and Food City even though they are only about a mile apart? Also, things might have changed in recent years since they have announced that Wally World would open....they may have the same prices now at Vansant and Bristol on every item in the store, but it's not always been the case.

I worked for the company for over 8 years, part of the time I helped with pricing. I'm not only talking about the sale prices...I'm talking about all the pricing. I wont argue that their overall prices are lower than Walmart, because they aren't. However, I will argue that they do not charge higher prices in Grundy because of a lack of competition. Trust me, the prices charged at each store are at least the same for the entire district, if not several districts, excluding any in store specials.

I'm not following your logic about Food City gas. Are you saying Food City's gas is 30 cents more or less than Exxon's? Because it is usually the cheapest around.

I worked for the company for over 8 years, part of the time I helped with pricing. I'm not only talking about the sale prices...I'm talking about all the pricing. I wont argue that their overall prices are lower than Walmart, because they aren't. However, I will argue that they do not charge higher prices in Grundy because of a lack of competition. Trust me, the prices charged at each store are at least the same for the entire district, if not several districts, excluding any in store specials.

I'm not following your logic about Food City gas. Are you saying Food City's gas is 30 cents more or less than Exxon's? Because it is usually the cheapest around.

it's less...exxon is usually much higher.

as for prices...like i said, i dont really know much about whats gone on lately, but this goes back to the mid to late 80s...once Deskins and IGA closed, FC took over and had free run of it for years...this WalMart project has been in the works for what, 10 years now? so...i dont really know what the prices are now or since they announced it was going to happen. Doesn't really matter what the facts are in this case, because if the people of Grundy think it happened, right or wrong, that's what will prevail...no one that I know of is going around saying "poor FC big bad walmart is going to be here"...everyone I know is licking their chops to spend money anywhere but FC...right or wrong? myabe its just urban legend...but it's out there.

actually walmart did not kill kroger in blfd va. it was the fact that the wv kroger went out on strike over contract. blfd va was still under a current contract. the workers from wv picketed in front of va kroger the store reminded the workers they still had a current contract and were to work under it. they did not the walked out. later that year kroger closed the va store. walmart has not really hurt blfd va that much. the stores that are in down town still do good business and the walmart brings visitors to downtown blfd also.

...everyone I know is licking their chops to spend money anywhere but FC...right or wrong? myabe its just urban legend...but it's out there.

not urban legend... FC will take a big hit. I can't wait to hear the complaints about the hassle of getting the buggy from the checkout to the car. And I'll do my dangest to avoid downtown the 1st, 2nd & 3rd of the month.

not urban legend... FC will take a big hit. I can't wait to hear the complaints about the hassle of getting the buggy from the checkout to the car. And I'll do my dangest to avoid downtown the 1st, 2nd & 3rd of the month.

Yeah, Food City will take a substantial hit, especially at first. But Walmart isn't going to shut them down. Once the newness of Walmart wears off people will get tired of the crappy customer service and waiting in line behind 6 other customers when only 3 out of 20 registers are open, things will balance back out some. Almost every other Food City has Walmart as competition (i.e. Claypool Hill) and they still do just fine. Not as well as the Vansant store has done in the past, but still enough to keep the lights on and the doors open.

Yeah, Food City will take a substantial hit, especially at first. But Walmart isn't going to shut them down. Once the newness of Walmart wears off people will get tired of the crappy customer service and waiting in line behind 6 other customers when only 3 out of 20 registers are open, things will balance back out some. Almost every other Food City has Walmart as competition (i.e. Claypool Hill) and they still do just fine. Not as well as the Vansant store has done in the past, but still enough to keep the lights on and the doors open.

THIS! Here is the voice of reason.

THIS! Here is the voice of reason.

wait and see.

FC is in the unique position of keeping the doors open even if that store goes in the tanks...they will NEVER leave Grundy...won't happen...they will ride it out if it takes 5 years. They started there, they have had a strangle hold on that place for decades...they are not going anywhere...I'm just saying they are in for a big drop...for a while.

Is it just a Wal-Mart shopping center or is there going to be an additional mall included? How many jobs does this create there? I apologize if someone already mentioned it, I must've missed it.

there are 8 to 10 stores along the front of the building, there are plans to build more on the site, not sure exactly what they are hoping to put in there by the time its done. Jobs? not sure how many they are projecting.

wait and see.

FC is in the unique position of keeping the doors open even if that store goes in the tanks...they will NEVER leave Grundy...won't happen...they will ride it out if it takes 5 years. They started there, they have had a strangle hold on that place for decades...they are not going anywhere...I'm just saying they are in for a big drop...for a while.

You're missing the bigger point here. Almost EVERY Food City competes with Walmart, look at Labanon, Claypool Hill, Bluefield, Bristol, Wise. Do you really think if those stores were loosing money that the company would keep them open? I doubt that Grundy will be any different than the other stores, people will realize that the grass isn't always greener.

You're missing the bigger point here. Almost EVERY Food City competes with Walmart, look at Labanon, Claypool Hill, Bluefield, Bristol, Wise. Do you really think if those stores were loosing money that the company would keep them open? I doubt that Grundy will be any different than the other stores, people will realize that the grass isn't always greener.

I dont think you know the history of whats gone on in Grundy...I'm not the one missing the point. I get what you are saying...I understand how it is everywhere else, this isn't the same situation as you have everywhere else...it's not something you will find the answer to on a spreadsheet.

I dont think you know the history of whats gone on in Grundy...I'm not the one missing the point. I get what you are saying...I understand how it is everywhere else, this isn't the same situation as you have everywhere else...it's not something you will find the answer to on a spreadsheet.

Speaking of "history of what's gone on in Grundy", Food City started out in Grundy. It's firmly entrenched, and will not go anywhere. Even if that store was losing $1K/day, KVAT would keep it open for the historical significance.

Speaking of "history of what's gone on in Grundy", Food City started out in Grundy. It's firmly entrenched, and will not go anywhere. Even if that store was losing $1K/day, KVAT would keep it open for the historical significance.

damn do you guys not read what i already posted ? lol. That is exactly what I was just saying.

Having lived in Grundy my entire life i understand what your saying lance. As for the jobs, I heard that there projecting around 250. Not sure where that number came from if its the whole package or just the stores and what they will need after completion.

...just to be clear...FC will still make money at the Vansant store...just not as much, that's all I'm saying.

And I think we agree on that. It's just common sense that Walmart will take a good percentage of a smaller chains sales...that's what Walmart is famous for, right? I just don't think it will be as servere over the long term, as some people think. But I guess we will see.

Edited by BigBlueAlum