Grundy Walmart

And I think we agree on that. It's just common sense that Walmart will take a good percentage of a smaller chains sales...that's what Walmart is famous for, right? I just don't think it will be as servere over the long term, as some people think. But I guess we will see.

long term it will recover to some extent, but it will never be what it has been for years.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it just a Wal-Mart shopping center or is there going to be an additional mall included? How many jobs does this create there? I apologize if someone already mentioned it, I must've missed it.

250 jobs is what has been said including the smaller stores along the site.

long term it will recover to some extent, but it will never be what it has been for years.

food city in bluefield va is doing very well parking lot is always busy with customers. walmart has not hurt stores in bluefield va like many thought. it has actually helped many of the small stores in downtown blfd va bringing people to downtown. i think how walmart affects a community is in how the community works with walmart.

i've heard for years they were trying to close either Lebanon or Claypool Hill and came close a couple of times...I wonder if they might not close the Lebanon location first if one of the two has to go...Lebanon has lost a lot of business the last year or so.

i've heard for years they were trying to close either Lebanon or Claypool Hill and came close a couple of times...I wonder if they might not close the Lebanon location first if one of the two has to go...Lebanon has lost a lot of business the last year or so.

it is really unusual for walmart to close a store, i would think if a walmart were to close because of a community losing a lot of business the one in mcdowell county in big 4 would close, there are very few jobs in this county but it continues to operate. right now the only community with any size in tazewell county is tazewell. from princeton wv you have walmarts in blfd va claypoohill lebanon grundy lots of walmarts along rt. 460/19 it seems like.and all seem to be doing pretty good. blfd gets people from taz. blfd wv/va bland county and pocahontas. claypool hill gets from richlands taz. and towards lebanon. still a big area to draw people from. grundy will have the entire county to draw from.

yeah i dont know either...both lebanon and CPH both seem to stay busy...i have just heard rumors for years that they were going to close one of the other at some point, but I think they have recently spent quite a bit to update both stores? so i dont see it happening. I don't know how much money the Grundy folks are dumping in to the CPH wal mart...I know my parents go there all the time...but, they have to get stuff from Lowe's as well...I dont think they are building one of those in Grundy?

yeah i dont know either...both lebanon and CPH both seem to stay busy...i have just heard rumors for years that they were going to close one of the other at some point, but I think they have recently spent quite a bit to update both stores? so i dont see it happening. I don't know how much money the Grundy folks are dumping in to the CPH wal mart...I know my parents go there all the time...but, they have to get stuff from Lowe's as well...I dont think they are building one of those in Grundy?

I had heard at one time that it was Walmarts goal to have a store at least every 30 miles. Probably not true, but it seems to be there plans in this area.

I had heard at one time that it was Walmarts goal to have a store at least every 30 miles. Probably not true, but it seems to be there plans in this area.

i would say that is more true than you realize when you look just at route 460 and the walmarts head east from princeton then you have one in pearisburg then christiansburg roanoke bedford lynchburg. and so on. then from claypool hill west on 19 lebanon dont know about abingdon but then bristol so 30 miles is not that far of a stretch.

As a Walmart Manager I can say that you are right.

The CPH One Will Take More Of A Hit Than Alot Of People Realize In My Opinion.

Geez... the Smellagraph sets a new record in how many consecutive paragraphs (or, as the real world calls them, sentences) I see something wrong.

http://bdtonline.com/editorials/x357283659/Now-hiring-Redevelopment-site-creates-job

-----

(Has English changed in the past 30 years? I coulda swore that I was taught back in HS that a paragraph can't be just 1 sentence.)

Grundy's luck, they will finally get it open and it will flood next spring.

lets hope it does not get that deep to get into the main part of walmart if it is built on top of a parking building basically. then the valley where grundy is in would just be a big lake for that to happen.

lets hope it does not get that deep to get into the main part of walmart if it is built on top of a parking building basically. then the valley where grundy is in would just be a big lake for that to happen.

yeah...obviously it wont happen...just saying.

Got A Chance To Talk To JoJo Yesterday He Seems Very Excited About Getting It Going Down There Told Me They Was Looking Around The 16th Of August As The Opening Day Said He Would Have Liked To Have Had It Open By The 1st Of August But That Didnt Look Like It Was Going To Possible.

yeah...obviously it wont happen...just saying.

i knew it just kidding. they did a lot of work on the river area in grundy to aleve the flooding and hope that the area does not flood ever again.

it comes along about every 20 years or so and they are past due for a good one...probably wont have to wait long to see how it holds up.

that is true i lived in blfd va until i was 50 and remember many floods in grundy and in wv also and a few in blfd va over the years.

they usually get a small one every 10 and a pretty good size flood every 20 or so...hasn't happened lately...but, this past winter was more like the 70's than any i can remember since i was a kid...so...it might be swinging back around again...who knows...I think they are in a lot better position now with all the improvements over the years, so probably wont be much to talk about other than higher water than normal.