Wise County Central Football

wave316

per Bristol Herald:

PREP FOOTBALL

Salyers resigns at Central

B.I. Salyers has resigned as the head coach at Wise County Central High School.

Central principal Charles Collins confirmed the move in an email Friday. Jason Mullins will be filling the role as Central’s interim head coach.

Salyers spent the previous seven seasons guiding the program at J.J. Kelly and led the Indians to two playoff berths. He had previous head coaching experience at St. Paul and Castlewood.

The 2011 season will mark the first season for Central, a consolidation of J.J. Kelly and Pound. The Warriors open the season on Aug. 26 at Thomas Walker.

He was let go because of political reasons with a School board member that threaten to fire him because of a gas card issue that was given to him by the principal of Wise Count Central

Because of a gas card that the principal gave him.....Looks like it was given ...not stolen .... this is sad!

Salyers resigns head football post

by COY BAYS • Sports Editor Coalfield.Com

07.19.11 - 12:07 am

WISE — Veteran coach B.I. Salyers informed Central High and Wise County school officials Thursday that he was relinquishing his opportunity to be the new consolidated high school’s first head football coach.

Salyers’ resignation came after a disagreement with the Wise County school system’s central office concerning his use of the school system’s gas pumps in Wise.

Former Pound head coach and J.J. Kelly assistant coach Jason Mullins was named interim head coach by Central High principal Charles Collins upon Salyers’ resignation.

Central High, which is a consolidation of J.J. Kelly and Pound high schools, will play its first season of football this fall. Salyers’ resignation came just 17 days before the Aug. 1 start of practice for the Warriors.

Salyers’ disagreement with the Wise County school system’s hierachy including Superintendent Dr. Jeff Perry stemmed from his filling a private vehicle with gas from the school system’s pumps to which the former J.J. Kelly High coach had been issued a key.

Salyers had borrowed the vehicle in question, a pickup truck, to haul a piece of weight room equipment from Maryville, Tenn., to the Central High weight room at Carroll Dale Stadium in Wise.

“I don’t think what I did was wrong because I was doing it for the school and the kids,” Salyers said. “I have all the respect in the world for Jeff Perry, but when he said putting gas from those pumps into a private vehicle was illegal — that’s when I decided to resign.”

Salyers said that he has often used his personal vehicle for school-related matters without asking to be reimbursed by the school system. In this instance, he said he was replacing the gas used in transporting a leg machine from Maryville to Wise that will be used by Central’s football players, athletes in other sports at the school and physicial education weight training classes.

Salyers, who graduated from J.J. Kelly in 1986, returned to his high school alma mater as head football coach in 2004 after successful stints of leading the gridiron fortunes at St. Paul and Castlewood.

In seven seasons at J.J. Kelly, Salyers led the school to a 32-40 record including a couple of Division 2 playoff appearances. Beginning with the 2008 campaign, J.J. Kelly posted records of 7-4, 8-3 and 7-3 in Saylers’ final three seasons at the county seat school before its merger with Pound.

Mullins served as an assistant in Salyers’ program at Kelly after stepping down as Pound’s head coach following the 2006 season. He compiled a 17-33 overall ledger in five seasons at Pound. His best season at Pound was the ‘05 campaign when the Wildcats posted a 6-4 mark.

Copyright 2011 Coalfield.com. All rights reserved.

© thecoalfieldprogress.com 2011

My guess is that there had been an ongoing rift and this pushed Salyers passed his limit. It seems too petty to be the only thing to result in a resignation but I could see it being the type of thing that you've just had enough of.

Shame on Wise Co. SB.

My guess is that it wasn't the first time he had been found to do that. The smart move would be to let folks know you are doing something and let them reimburse you.

The abuse of school and local government gas pumps is far too common, and one good administrators have to stay on top of to avoid huge problems.

He was issued the Gas Key by the Principal(which is a fact) for that very reason to get that equipment, if that isn't approval, what would it be? If your manager or boss tells you to do something and you do it, why should you be ONLY person held responsible for that action?

Wise lost a good headcoach. There must be more to this story though because he also applied for the Virginia High job when it was open. Just seemed like he may have wanted out of that mess in Wise County. Maybe B.I had different views than Perry on other subjects also. I have a feeling that he'll have another job after this season if he chooses. He's a good guy, and a good coach.

My guess is that there had been an ongoing rift and this pushed Salyers passed his limit. It seems too petty to be the only thing to result in a resignation but I could see it being the type of thing that you've just had enough of.

Shame on Wise Co. SB.

Makes me embarrassed to be a citizen of Wise! Just wonder how the players will respond this year.... Couldn't help their motivation to lose a coach they admired and respected!