Davis out @ UNC

Hacker

Yes, I do get tired of watching an athletics program that has NEVER finished outside the Top 10. Many laughs are to be had when we roll out another national champion or a baseball team that wins 88% of its game. I laughed all the way to the bank when we stomped your rear ends in the ACC Tournament.

You're 0-2 on informed comments tonight. Quit while you're ahead.

You choked away that baseball tournament. That still baffles me.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You choked away that baseball tournament. That still baffles me.

We didn't hit particularly well all year. Werman was an offensive liability, so we were batting pretty much 9-on-8. When Proscia and Barr pretty much failed to show up in Omaha, the writing was on the wall.

Even then, a healthy Danny Hultzen would've won us Game 2. He was upchucking between innings, and was so blurry that he couldn't even read Hicks's signs. STILL struck our 8 of the 9 batters he faced. The best three innings of collegiate baseball that have ever been pitched, IMO.

Nope! but they were all close games and none of them should have been because that amazing hokie offense and defense that kicked stanfords ass.

UNC is no Standford of 2010...

Average score over those 7 games...26-13...in VT's favor...182-94 total...not what I call "close". And, final scores in some of those games are misleading...I know of two games when VT had 2 TD leads and UNC scored late to make the final score closer. Last year's game was a lot closer than it should have been, thanks to VT's inept offensive play selection in the Red Zone. VT beat UNC 26-10 last but had the ball inside the 20 three times (two of those inside the 10) and came away with FGs. Also, the one year UNC did win, VT led in the 4th Q, UNC tied it with less than 3 minutes left and then kicked a game winning FG as time expired.

Speaking of offense...Mike Imoh set the VT school single game rushing record against your 'heels the first time the two played as ACC opponents (32 carries, 244 yards, 2 TDs). That record has since been broken...

What year was it that the Hokies luckily knocked Tyler Yates out of the game, then came back to win?

Luckily? It ain't two-hand touch, bitches...every QB has a chance of getting knocked out of the game on every play...odds are in the D's favor...

BTW, it was 2008. And it wasn't losing Yates that cost UNC the game as much as it was 14 penalties for 121 yards, several at critical points in the game...that was a great display of Butch Davis discipline...http://www.techsideline.com/news_archive/showArticle-3960.php

Luckily? It ain't two-hand touch, bitches...every QB has a chance of getting knocked out of the game on every play...odds are in the D's favor...

BTW, it was 2008. And it wasn't losing Yates that cost UNC the game as much as it was 14 penalties for 121 yards, several at critical points in the game...that was a great display of Butch Davis discipline...http://www.techsideline.com/news_archive/showArticle-3960.php

LOL, way to completely NOT address my wholly valid point...

Hmmm, from what I recall, UNC was leading by 14+ when Yates bit the dust. Yes, that's dumb freaking luck, Gobbles. If Yates doesn't go down, you all lose that one. In fact, come to think of it, dumb luck saved you against Georgia Tech, too.

Thankfully, the proctologist removed that golden horseshoe from your behinds in the 4th quarter against Boston College. Karma and all...

Close games and losses are so rare for Virginia Tech football that they become memorable. Thanks for reminding us of that, Observer and gcdevils.

Then why have I not heard anything about the 2010 Orange bowl lately? Losses are "memorable", after all.

I mean, you've had so many of them down there... ;)

LOL, way to completely NOT address my wholly valid point...

Hmmm, from what I recall, UNC was leading by 14+ when Yates bit the dust. Yes, that's dumb freaking luck, Gobbles. If Yates doesn't go down, you all lose that one.

Did you read the link??? UNC was leading 10-3 when Yates went out. They scored on the next possession, without Yates, to take a 17-3 lead. Penalties at costly points in the game, like a couple of PFs on third down plays that extended drives for VT, were the downfall of the Turdholes in 2008...reading is a wonderful thing, you should try it sometime, especially when the link is provided for you...:eek:

Thankfully, the proctologist removed that golden horseshoe from your behinds in the 4th quarter against Boston College. Karma and all...

BC stole the horseshoe twice from VT during the regular season in '07 and '08. However VT won when it counted vs. BC both years...ACC Championship games...:D

Then why have I not heard anything about the 2010 Orange bowl lately? Losses are "memorable", after all.

Speaking of Orange Bowls...has UVA ever played there other than against Miami???

In fact, come to think of it, dumb luck saved you against Georgia Tech, too.

As I said, this ain't two-hand touch bitches...sometimes, when you get in front of the train, you get run over...

I guess VT should consider their team "lucky" in for hurting Jameel Sewell in that game at UVA since VT was sooooo over matched in that game.......

By the way, when was the last time UVA won an ACC Football Championship or even beat VT for that matter in football???

No, exactly. We lost back to back Thursday night games vs. GT and UNC. That's what kept us out of the 2010 Orange Bowl. Those were two of the three losses that year. The other one was against the national champion Alabama Crimson Tide. I vividly remember all three of those losses, while I have vague memories of our wins. Just the way it is being a Tech football fan.

Kind of similar to football wins at UVA, right? You remember those rare times you increase the number in the Win column...

Speaking of Orange Bowls, let's talk about 2009 and 2011 (games in which we earned our way to).

A loss to Stanford and a loss to Kansas in recent years have left an indelible mark on VT fans. We shouldn't have lost those games. But we remember them because we were torn up by the novelty of a loss.

What sticks out to you about the time you lost to [insert team here] (let's say Virginia Tech) in, say, 2008? Nothing, because that's what was was expected from UVA's football program. I would much rather be in our situation than hoping for (and being considered optimistic about) a .500 season.

Speaking of Orange Bowls, let's talk about 2009 and 2011 (games in which we earned our way to).

A loss to Stanford and a loss to Kansas in recent years have left an indelible mark on VT fans. We shouldn't have lost those games. But we remember them because we were torn up by the novelty of a loss.

What sticks out to you about the time you lost to [insert team here] (let's say Virginia Tech) in, say, 2008? Nothing, because that's what was was expected from UVA's football program. I would much rather be in our situation than hoping for (and being considered optimistic about) a .500 season.

obviously you should have lost to stanford...you got pooped on

LOL, Stanford whipped you guys like a dominatrix. The two best teams on the field that night were in cardinal red and white: Stanford's 1st and 2nd teams. There is no "should have won" about that one. Kansas, they just flat out worked harder than you did. That's a team I was glad to see win, shaking off 100 years of football skeletons that warm January night.

You're also showing your age as a Hokie fan. The "novelty of a loss"? Before 1993, that's all you guys ever did well. Shoot, it's that lousy history that put you where you are today: Beamer won no more than 6 games in a season his first 6 years as HC, and he went under .500 in Year 6. Any other school with any kind of football pride would've canned him. VT did not, and it turned out to be one of the luckiest things to ever happen to a football program anywhere.

Since I'm not just satisfied going 2-2, let's go 3-3. That 2008 loss to Virginia Tech was the one where Vic Hall tore through you like an Alabama twister. Thanks to Marc "Averages 1.1 INTs Per Game" Verica, we choked away what should've been at the very least a trip to OT. That INT was so freaking bad that I could even see your SS reading Verica's eyes. I saw Verica lock onto Inman, and just started screaming "NO, NO, NOOOO!". The rest is history. One of several games Verica lost for us by bone-headed passes.