Davis out @ UNC

Hacker

VT played at GT that same year and lost to the Jackets 6-3......

Yeah, you rollicked to an impressive 6-5 record that year...

Didn't you make a post about not having a desire to watch the UVA - VT football game a couple of years ago in Charlottesville because you didn't think UVA stood a chance? Only after VT lost to UNC did you become "giddy" posting that you would be watching the game after all "with freakin bells on" if I remember correctly....

Selective memory, I see. You got the "giddy" and "with freakin' bells on" parts correct. But you only went 2-3.

I would've been at that game regardless. I've been there every year since 2003, and I'm going to be there every year that the Lord sees me physically able to travel. What I said was, and I quote "UVA doing so poorly makes me not want to go". When you're sitting at 0-3 with a loss to a I-AA school, yeah, you're feeling pretty lowly about the state of your program. You all were 1 bad half of football last year from being in the same boat, but I digress. Then we held UNC to 3 points, rolled off 3 wins in a row, and shortly thereafter they knocked you off. Perfectly reasonable to go from "we don't have a chance in Hell" to "wow, we've got a shot".

I love how I lob justified grenades at a football program, yet get personal attacks back in response. It means that I'm hitting a nerve with the "Hokie faithful". Good. You all need to think. Think about your false perception of where your fanbase stands. Think about the moral dilemmas coming up when Beamer retires. Think about why you have so much antipathy toward someone who's explaining how your program is perceived without orange-and-maroon glasses.

Edited by UVAObserver

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This conversation ends with the quoted statement, and it's a point you are simply and utterly wrong about.

It's "national presence" defined by you. To pretty much every sane, objective fan, national presence is defined by a team's ability to be consistently competitive and have, at least, a legitimate outside shot at competing for a national title year in and year out.

You'll probably reel off ten paragraphs of dribble and score it as another won argument, but I'm out of this conversation now.

Winning consistently validates a football program. We just have one step left to take before it's valid to even the most seething haters.

In the last 10 years, VT has:

1. Won 10 games per season from 2004-2010 in one of the two-worst major conferences in the nation.

2. Failed to reach a major bowl game in 50% of those seasons (4 of 10).

3. Went 1-3 in major bowl games.

4. Beat the 2nd-worst automatic BCS qualifier ever to win the one Orange Bowl they did win.

5. Is 1-26 against Top 5 teams.

That's not a "national presence". I'm sure anyone from Oklahoma, Miami, Florida State, Ohio State, Florida, Texas, LSU, Alabama, USC, Auburn, West Virginia, and Tennessee would be glad to steer you in the right direction. Just so you're wondering, those are teams from the last 15 years that have either (a) won championships and/or (b) attended and won more than 1 major bowl game, something that would give them a more impressive status than Vippie Sue (WVU fans, rejoice). Also, just so you're wondering, that's 10% of major college football. This does not include schools that are on relatively equal footing with you now, such as Notre Dame (several 8+ win seasons, multiple BCS appearances, storied tradition), Oregon (national title game appearance this year, a few 10-win seasons), and I could go on.

A "reasonable", "sane" person would look at this and see that the first group of teams CLEARLY holds a higher prestige than the second group. VT is clearly in that second group, having no national championship and 1 BCS win in its history. That last fact ties you with Kansas on the all-time list, BTW, a football program that's had something like 80 losing seasons.

I love how you say that I'm "simply, utterly wrong" on a SUBJECTIVE point. That's the equivalent of me saying that "you're wrong" when you tell me that you like soccer. Not only this, you up the ante by declaring that nothing I say will be good enough to controvert your points. Not satisfied with this, you say that you're done with the discussion. I appreciate you allowing me to have the last word, friend, but it doesn't make you right. It makes you appear irritated that someone had the gall, the nerve, the tenacity to call your program out with well-reasoned, informed arguments.

Besides, what I've said here is fuzzy tame compared to what the schools with tradition are actually saying...

Firstly. A novel!? UVAobserver, I DO have a life. I can't read 32 pages of your UVA version of Mien Kamf without the risk of getting fired! I"ll try to keep it short as this is my last post on the subject.

I admire UVA's football history, really do. But it's still meaningless today. For today's college athlete and college student, it was "stuff that happened" before they were born. Few of them care and even fewer probably know. What you did between the War of 1812 and 2000 is not what brings in new recruits each year and its not what keeps them away. Its not what attracts new fans, its not what makes teams despise you. Its what has happened between 2000 and now that is on the forefront of their minds, my mind, and everyone else's mind. And probably even later than 2000 for most. Bet money that your recruiters don't tell prospects that "you were pretty good back in 1990 for a week". Young people see your football program as average at best or a tad below. Its like OJ Simpson. My parents remember him as an amazing athlete and terrible actor who became a vicious murderer. My generation remembers him as a terrible actor and a vicious murderer. Unless its your team, sports memories are often short.

You're dwelling on this #2 thing. All I intended with that was in jest by saying "VT has probably been ranked #2 in the last 12 years more than UVA has been ranked" <<paraphrase. I'm not saying, "Hey, we're #2, we're world beaters." I'm saying we've been a more nationally relevant team than you've even be talked about on TV. If you think being #2 is laughable, then fine. You're right, we should've been number one. Nationally ranked #2 is for pussies. You win.

The whole Frank think is speculative and not really worth argument as neither of us really know what will happen. I"ll just say no matter what, I'm a Hokie fan. 0-12, 12-0, 6-6, doesn't matter. I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't think a few bad seasons will ruin our program forever. Of course UVA fans hopes it does and you wouldn't be a true Hoo otherwise, so you're forgiven.

It took me just under an hour to type that. I have a life, too, and do work 9-5 on the days I do work (like today, on 3.5 hours of sleep). If you see the time stamp on my post, you can see that I made it not during normal business hours. Plus, the UVA-history portion was right at 1/3 of my post. Clearly not a novel, and it's disgusting and frankly hurtful on a personal level that you compare it to a work by Adolf Hitler.

I agree in part with your take on tradition and I disagree in part. I agree that most college athletes are of the "what have you done for me now" mindset. It's hard to play the tradition angle when most of your tradition happened between 1984-1998. These recruits' first memories probably don't start until around 1996, and VT football was laying the foundation to surpass UVA by that time. What they've seen is a media in the state of Virginia that largely bends over backwards to massage VT's ego. Of course, VT gets the head start there.

However, I disagree that the perception is as hard as you make it to overcome. Eli Harold, for example, was a strong Florida lean (recent memory, right?) until Mike London came along and connected with Harold on a different wavelength. He's plucking kids from VA, particularly from "The 757", who should be strongly disposed to Tech on the prestige angle but are choosing UVA for reasons barely, if at all, related to football. Sure, prestige gives you an advantage, and UVA doesn't have it right now. But the fact that UVA's recruiting class outranked VT's last year, and is in a virtual dead heat this year, should be a signal of what I'm saying.

It's not *that* you used the #2 argument. It's that you pooh-poohed my argument (which is a condition precedent to being a national champion, BTW) and pulled out an argument that was clearly weaker and tried to use it. We've beaten the decaying horse enough here.

As far as Beamer goes, yes, it's speculative, I can't deny that. However, if you think that someone like Chris Petersen's going to come waltzing in that door for nothing, you're gravely mistaken. It's going to cost a LOT of money, significantly more than you're paying Beamer, to hire someone that can just maintain Beamer's quality of work there. If that new coach sputters, then what? VT fans do not support losers, by and large. Look at your baseball team: baseball is the #3 revenue sport, VT has historically done poorly in it, and VT plays in a dump that can't even meet minimum NCAA qualifications to host a regional. Could that happen to VT football again if the years get lean? Yes, it's speculative, but I'm not just whistling Dixie here. It's something that could get potentially very messy.

It's our jobs as fans to prognosticate into the future and to have discussions like these.

In the last 10 years, VT has:

1. Won 10 games per season from 2004-2010 in one of the two-worst major conferences in the nation.

2. Failed to reach a major bowl game in 50% of those seasons (4 of 10).

3. Went 1-3 in major bowl games.

4. Beat the 2nd-worst automatic BCS qualifier ever to win the one Orange Bowl they did win.

5. Is 1-26 against Top 5 teams.

That's not a "national presence". I'm sure anyone from Oklahoma, Miami, Florida State, Ohio State, Florida, Texas, LSU, Alabama, USC, Auburn, West Virginia, and Tennessee would be glad to steer you in the right direction. Just so you're wondering, those are teams from the last 15 years that have either (a) won championships and/or (b) attended and won more than 1 major bowl game, something that would give them a more impressive status than Vippie Sue (WVU fans, rejoice). Also, just so you're wondering, that's 10% of major college football. This does not include schools that are on relatively equal footing with you now, such as Notre Dame (several 8+ win seasons, multiple BCS appearances, storied tradition), Oregon (national title game appearance this year, a few 10-win seasons), and I could go on.

A "reasonable", "sane" person would look at this and see that the first group of teams CLEARLY holds a higher prestige than the second group. VT is clearly in that second group, having no national championship and 1 BCS win in its history. That last fact ties you with Kansas on the all-time list, BTW, a football program that's had something like 80 losing seasons.

I love how you say that I'm "simply, utterly wrong" on a SUBJECTIVE point. That's the equivalent of me saying that "you're wrong" when you tell me that you like soccer. Not only this, you up the ante by declaring that nothing I say will be good enough to controvert your points. Not satisfied with this, you say that you're done with the discussion. I appreciate you allowing me to have the last word, friend, but it doesn't make you right. It makes you appear irritated that someone had the gall, the nerve, the tenacity to call your program out with well-reasoned, informed arguments.

Besides, what I've said here is fuzzy tame compared to what the schools with tradition are actually saying...

So essentially what you are doing here is arbitrarily setting parameters to define "national presence". And wouldya lookey there! Virginia Tech just happens to fall outside of those parameters! Tough not to question your objectivity here, Observer.

It took me just under an hour to type that. I have a life, too, and do work 9-5 on the days I do work (like today, on 3.5 hours of sleep). If you see the time stamp on my post, you can see that I made it not during normal business hours. Plus, the UVA-history portion was right at 1/3 of my post. Clearly not a novel, and it's disgusting and frankly hurtful on a personal level that you compare it to a work by Adolf Hitler.

I was lighting the mood here by poking some fun at our ramblings. You're clearly on the defensive. I'm sorry that offended you, man. Sincerely.

So essentially what you are doing here is arbitrarily setting parameters to define "national presence". And wouldya lookey there! Virginia Tech just happens to fall outside of those parameters! Tough not to question your objectivity here, Observer.

I thought you were done with this discussion. ;)

You attack my parameters, but don't come up with any of your own. So put your foot where your mouth is, and come up with some. I'd like to see them.

Here are a list of mine, to get you started (in order of importance):

1. National Titles (VT has 0).

2. Major bowl wins (VT has 2 all-time, 1 in the last 15 years).

3. Major bowl appearances (VT has 7 all-time, 6 in the last 15 years).

4. Success rate in major bowls (pretty much #2/#3, and VT's rate is staggeringly bad).

5. Conference titles (VT has 8 overall, 6 in the last 15 years).

6. Strength of conference (VT played in the Big East and the ACC, the 2 worst BCS conferences).

7. 10-win seasons (VT has 11 in the last 15 years, including 7-in-a-row).

8. Winning seasons (VT is 15-15).

9. Record against Top-5 competition (VT is 1-eternity).

I'm not saying VT sucks, for crying out loud. What I'm saying is that VT has good marks, but NOT as good as the "elites". You cannot pull off the orange-and-maroon glasses and tell me that VT has a superior resume to the following: USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Miami, Florida State, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida, Tennessee, Ohio State, and West Virginia. Perhaps you can using your own objective criteria, but with my objective criteria, I cannot. That's 10% of major college football, as I have said. Now, we can have some good arguments about VT compared to teams like Notre Dame, Penn State, Oregon, Wisconsin, etc.

If I can take a thorough objective list and put 10% of the teams in FBS football ahead of you, you are not elite. Sorry. Win a couple more Orange Bowls, fill that ridiculous trophy case, then you earn your way there. Choking against Top 5 teams, losing BCS game upon BCS game, and racking up tons of wins in a poor conference doesn't cut it.

I await your criteria.

UVA has recruited on par with or better than VT several times in the last decade. Its not surprising. UVA is a good school aside from the poor football luck recently. A few recruits here and there doesn't spell trouble for VT quite yet.

I don't think you're still completely grasping the #2 thing and I still don't understand how UVA being ranked #1 for a week makes them any better. But we'll move on. The dead horse that we're beating our deader horse with is getting pretty bruised.

The modern VT sports fan is founded upon predominantly football. We don't have a wide sweeping conference presence in sports like UVA or UNC. We're football focused and maybe you'll critize that as being bad but now that VT has established a winning tradition (though a young one, I will agree), I think football ever slipping through the cracks is a bit of a longshot because it's quite literally all we have going for us in sports. Besides wrestling, we're kickin A in that.

I was lighting the mood here by poking some fun at our ramblings. You're clearly on the defensive. I'm sorry that offended you, man. Sincerely.

That's OK. We've talked enough that I didn't figure you would mean offense in that sort of way. Just stunned me.

I'm on the defensive because I'm trying to have 4 different debates at once. Ain't easy.

If I've caused you any offense, I apologize for what I said that did it, too. I'm just ready for football season to start, and I certainly stirred the flames much too hard.

I'm anxious to see how Year 2 of the Mike London Era goes. We have 10 starters back on defense (everyone except Ras-I Dowling), a new QB that will certainly be more proficient than Marc Verica, and a speedy RB (Kevin Parks) who was the NC state player of the year coming out of HS. I'm as optimistic as I've been since 2004. For you guys, it's a different kind of optimism, I'd imagine. Several new faces this year, from the looks of it. Of course, you're the favorite in our division, again. If Logan Thomas is ahead of schedule and David Wilson stays healthy, your schedule sets up very well.

That's OK. We've talked enough that I didn't figure you would mean offense in that sort of way. Just stunned me.

I'm on the defensive because I'm trying to have 4 different debates at once. Ain't easy.

If I've caused you any offense, I apologize for what I said that did it, too. I'm just ready for football season to start, and I certainly stirred the flames much too hard.

I'm anxious to see how Year 2 of the Mike London Era goes. We have 10 starters back on defense (everyone except Ras-I Dowling), a new QB that will certainly be more proficient than Marc Verica, and a speedy RB (Kevin Parks) who was the NC state player of the year coming out of HS. I'm as optimistic as I've been since 2004. For you guys, it's a different kind of optimism, I'd imagine. Several new faces this year, from the looks of it. Of course, you're the favorite in our division, again. If Logan Thomas is ahead of schedule and David Wilson stays healthy, your schedule sets up very well.

No worries.

Honestly, and don't tell GMan I said this, the last couple years I've been *whispers* pullin for UVA on weeks they don't play VT.

I really want the rivalry to matter again. Of course it matters in recruiting and probably amongst a good portion of the players that played together/against each other in high school. But it doesn't have that same feel as it used to, so all the best to UVA. Matter again soon.

A lot of optimism about Logan Thomas and David Wilson this year, for sure. And our line is supposed to be the best its been in a long while. Concerns include the defensive front, the whip linebacker, and our defensive secondary depth. But, in Bud we trust I guess.

Our schedule sets up well like it did in 1999. But, its so weak, I foresee a lot of haterade splashes toward the end of the year if we somehow come out unscathed. And I don't blame them, the schedule is a little too weak for my taste but perhaps the best way to break in a new QB? We shall see.

UVA has recruited on par with or better than VT several times in the last decade. Its not surprising. UVA is a good school aside from the poor football luck recently. A few recruits here and there doesn't spell trouble for VT quite yet.

I don't think you're still completely grasping the #2 thing and I still don't understand how UVA being ranked #1 for a week makes them any better. But we'll move on. The dead horse that we're beating our deader horse with is getting pretty bruised.

The modern VT sports fan is founded upon predominantly football. We don't have a wide sweeping conference presence in sports like UVA or UNC. We're football focused and maybe you'll critize that as being bad but now that VT has established a winning tradition (though a young one, I will agree), I think football ever slipping through the cracks is a bit of a longshot because it's quite literally all we have going for us in sports. Besides wrestling, we're kickin A in that.

We did recruit better than VT did from 2002-2004, the first years of the Groh era. Unfortunately, Groh's staff did a particularly poor job of developing those 4*s and 5*s. Sure, you had some incredible players, but Groh seemed to "teach" toward the upper echelon and let the others fall by the wayside.

I know it's early, but I can see where Mike London doesn't do that. His staff made Verica actually look presentable by year's end. When the team executed (not an easy task, Groh left the program without teaching fundamentals), it played well, particularly against USC and Miami. That's where I see the difference. London's proving he can coach up talent. We can revisit this in 2013 and onward, when London gets 3-4 classes under him.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with VT being so predominantly a "football school". You're certainly not alone. It just bugs me that VT's athletic department doesn't seem particularly interested in trying to improve basketball + non-revenues, and that VT's fans are in the majority OK with this. Were it me, I'd be raving about VT not showing any modicum of care for the baseball program, and how the athletic department failed to capitalize on the soccer successes of a few years back. I see many good VT fans here who do get frustrated by this: you, GMan, VTHokies4Life, among others. I appreciate and respect that. But you are a minority unto yourselves. That's what gets me. I suppose I've been preaching to the choir, but there is that perception for not just me, but many other ACC fans.

Put another way, it's like having twins. One of whom is the straight-A student who does well in every extra-curricular activity and who has shown promise in sports like golf and tennis. The other is a C-student who is a cut-up and is a solid but not elite football player. Sitting around the dinner table, all you hear the parents talk about is how awesome and wonderful your brother is, while you're criticized for missing a few notes in your Mozart cello performance. After a decade or so of this, little brother starts to get hocked off.

I hope that made sense. It's late.

Hey, remember that time this thread was about Butch Davis being fired? Can we take a second to laugh at UNC again?

Also, this is one of my favorite parts about sports. Heated discussions (borderline arguments) about something that we have absolutely no control over.

Hey, remember that time this thread was about Butch Davis being fired? Can we take a second to laugh at UNC again?

Also, this is one of my favorite parts about sports. Heated discussions (borderline arguments) about something that we have absolutely no control over.

LOLUNC. That's all I can say. They sacrificed their athletic reputation to go 8-5 and finish 4th in the Coastal Division. Good job, Holes!

I, too, enjoy the banter. Gets hard having 4 of them at one time, and makes the fiancee angry when I'm on here all night, but it's enjoyable while somewhat nerve-wracking.

No worries.

Honestly, and don't tell GMan I said this, the last couple years I've been *whispers* pullin for UVA on weeks they don't play VT.

I really want the rivalry to matter again. Of course it matters in recruiting and probably amongst a good portion of the players that played together/against each other in high school. But it doesn't have that same feel as it used to, so all the best to UVA. Matter again soon.

A lot of optimism about Logan Thomas and David Wilson this year, for sure. And our line is supposed to be the best its been in a long while. Concerns include the defensive front, the whip linebacker, and our defensive secondary depth. But, in Bud we trust I guess.

Our schedule sets up well like it did in 1999. But, its so weak, I foresee a lot of haterade splashes toward the end of the year if we somehow come out unscathed. And I don't blame them, the schedule is a little too weak for my taste but perhaps the best way to break in a new QB? We shall see.

I'm very high on David Wilson, but I'm not so high on Logan Thomas. Wilson's got all the measurables that you'd ever want to see out of a major college football skill player, and when he was given the chance last year, he looked every bit as good as Williams and Evans. Thomas, I'm concerned about, because he reminds me of a poor man's Bryan Randall from the limited amount I've seen of him. Plus, not to discredit Richlands, but Thomas's competition in HS wasn't nearly as stout as many other prospects. I think he has potential for the future, but he looks awfully raw to me now. Truth be told, I thought he projected better as a TE.

Though your line is solid, it didn't strike me as particularly deep. That's why I'm plugging for information about DeChristopher. If he's out beyond 6 weeks, you've got a thin unit protecting a new QB and a green RB.

I think your schedule is deceptive. The reason I haven't trotted out the old warhorse of "VT's playing creampuffs again" is because your schedule isn't as bad as it looks to an untrained eye. Appalachian State is a premier I-AA program that could give you some fits. Arkansas State is a team that consistently holds its own outside the Sun Belt. ECU will be considerably better this year. I can't fault you guys for that, considering we've got a slate of W&M (though ranked #1 in FCS), Indiana (could be historically bad this year), Southern Mississippi (typical all-offense/no-defense), and Idaho (LOL).

As for us, the rivalry may matter a little bit this year. It's not impossible that we could start 7-0. I know, chuckle-worthy, but UNC's in trouble, GT is way down, and NCST is fairly down. We still play Duke, and we're not losing to them again. Maryland's in really bad straits under Edsall, though I'm not sure how bad this year's team will be. Who knows, best case we're 9-2 facing you guys at 9-2 or better. It happened in 2007, why not now? For all our sakes, I hope we do make it matter ago.

No worries.

Definitely an exciting year. Logan Thomas should be great, David Wilson as well.

But I think we just buried ourselves. Apparently we're going to wear orange pants for some games. I guarantee you we will lose the games we wear orange pants for. http://www.thekeyplay.com/content/2011/august/3/orange-pants-2011

Guest The Variable

Now being an ND fan, I do not have a lot of room to say this except for the fact that I dont talk about how great ND is (except they produced the single greatest QB ever: Joe Montana). But UVA and VT football arguements always comes off like two kids making straight Cs in school arguing about who is smarter. Historically, you both suck. VT is having a relatively good run, but on a list of the top consistently good football programs spanning more than a decade or two, both of yall rank low. You guys are the Tennesee Titans, or the San Diego Padres. Sure you play in the big leagues, and you might win sometimes but thats about it. You aint the Yankees, and you aint the Colts.

No championships for VT, meaning you guys are the Buffallo Bills with less title appearances. I guess your fans are more loyal even than the folks up in Buffallo.

Edited by The Variable

Careful now...you may lose your seat on the bandwagon...I'll have to put UVAO in your place...all he has to do is ask...:D

Now being an ND fan, I do not have a lot of room to say this except for the fact that I dont talk about how great ND is (except they produced the single greatest QB ever: Joe Montana). But UVA and VT football arguements always comes off like two kids making straight Cs in school arguing about who is smarter. Historically, you both suck. VT is having a relatively good run, but on a list of the top consistently good football programs spanning more than a decade or two, both of yall rank low. You guys are the Tennesee Titans, or the San Diego Padres. Sure you play in the big leagues, and you might win sometimes but thats about it. You aint the Yankees, and you aint the Colts.

No championships for VT, meaning you guys are the Buffallo Bills with less title appearances. I guess your fans are more loyal even than the folks up in Buffallo.

I would never go so far as to say that VT sucks; that's ridiculous and in your heart-of-hearts you know that isn't true. Sure, I've just shown twice how you can put 12 programs ahead of them in prestige, but VT's solid. Not elite, but solid.

Historically, I know better than anyone that UVA stinks. That tends to happen when your administration tries to destroy the program.

If I've asked before, I apologize, but how did you ever become a ND fan?

Guest The Variable
I would never go so far as to say that VT sucks; that's ridiculous and in your heart-of-hearts you know that isn't true. Sure, I've just shown twice how you can put 12 programs ahead of them in prestige, but VT's solid. Not elite, but solid.

Historically, I know better than anyone that UVA stinks. That tends to happen when your administration tries to destroy the program.

If I've asked before, I apologize, but how did you ever become a ND fan?

I was over-stating the conclusion but I stand by my analogy. I put solid about one notch over mediocre.

My infatuation with ND is odd, since the only thing I share with catholics is that I love Jesus and God. Its the Celtic background of ND, the "Fighting Irish" and when I found out that ol Joe went there, it solidified things. Tech was a bit of a joke when I became a sports fan even though my dad graduated from VPISU. He stopped being a fan of tech sports after Marcus Vick. It didnt help that he didnt like how nowadays many Tech fans have a tendancy to blame everything else BUT the Hokies when they lose. ND was on the television a lot and Lou Holtz was coach. It was an easy team to root for in my opinion.

I was over-stating the conclusion but I stand by my analogy. I put solid about one notch over mediocre.

My infatuation with ND is odd, since the only thing I share with catholics is that I love Jesus and God. Its the Celtic background of ND, the "Fighting Irish" and when I found out that ol Joe went there, it solidified things. Tech was a bit of a joke when I became a sports fan even though my dad graduated from VPISU. He stopped being a fan of tech sports after Marcus Vick. It didnt help that he didnt like how nowadays many Tech fans have a tendancy to blame everything else BUT the Hokies when they lose. ND was on the television a lot and Lou Holtz was coach. It was an easy team to root for in my opinion.

Just like being between 13th-15th isn't elite, being between 13th-15th isn't "one notch over mediocre". VT is a good program, and has been consistently since 1993. I'm doing to strongly disagree on that one.

I definitely how your pop could arrive at his opinion, too. I always have to ask when I see fans cheering for schools a long distance away. For the notorious reasons. ;)