Davis out @ UNC

Hacker

LOL, Stanford whipped you guys like a dominatrix. The two best teams on the field that night were in cardinal red and white: Stanford's 1st and 2nd teams. There is no "should have won" about that one. Kansas, they just flat out worked harder than you did. That's a team I was glad to see win, shaking off 100 years of football skeletons that warm January night.

You're also showing your age as a Hokie fan. The "novelty of a loss"? Before 1993, that's all you guys ever did well. Shoot, it's that lousy history that put you where you are today: Beamer won no more than 6 games in a season his first 6 years as HC, and he went under .500 in Year 6. Any other school with any kind of football pride would've canned him. VT did not, and it turned out to be one of the luckiest things to ever happen to a football program anywhere.

Since I'm not just satisfied going 2-2, let's go 3-3. That 2008 loss to Virginia Tech was the one where Vic Hall tore through you like an Alabama twister. Thanks to Marc "Averages 1.1 INTs Per Game" Verica, we choked away what should've been at the very least a trip to OT. That INT was so freaking bad that I could even see your SS reading Verica's eyes. I saw Verica lock onto Inman, and just started screaming "NO, NO, NOOOO!". The rest is history. One of several games Verica lost for us by bone-headed passes.

The absurdity of what Observer says here is just overwhelming.

So I'll just say this: Losses are few and far between for Tech, and have been for, as Observer says, 18 years now (which, honestly is a long time. What other team has been relatively consistent for the past 18 years?). Losses are so few and far between, that people like Observer and gcdevils choose to dwell on those few losses (look at their references to the UNC game and two Orange Bowls). It may just be my personal preference, but I would rather people have a few losses to dwell on than have losing as our standard. But that's just me...

Their insecurity about their respective rooting interests, and their attempts to talk trash about an actually successful program validates the body of work that Tech has put together over the past 18 years.

Edited by vthokies4life

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know your program is relevant and worthy of envy when so much of the opposition despises it so greatly. These arguments are just a clear sign of what it means to be a fan of the Hokies. When people start throwing around, "Well, you were lucky!" and "But remember that time you lost this!??" then you know.

Gobblegobblegobblegobble!!

You know your program is relevant and worthy of envy when so much of the opposition despises it so greatly. These arguments are just a clear sign of what it means to be a fan of the Hokies. When people start throwing around, "Well, you were lucky!" and "But remember that time you lost this!??" then you know.

Lol, I wouldn`t say envy.

Edited by HurricaneWarning

The absurdity of what Observer says here is just overwhelming.

So I'll just say this: Losses are few and far between for Tech, and have been for, as Observer says, 18 years now (which, honestly is a long time. What other team has been relatively consistent for the past 18 years?). Losses are so few and far between, that people like Observer and gcdevils choose to dwell on those few losses (look at their references to the UNC game and two Orange Bowls). It may just be my personal preference, but I would rather people have a few losses to dwell on than have losing as our standard. But that's just me...

Their insecurity about their respective rooting interests, and their attempts to talk trash about an actually successful program validates the body of work that Tech has put together over the past 18 years.

How many national championships does tech have in ANYTHING? Real successful pal (I'm talking about NCAA, not bass fishing)

How many national championships does tech have in ANYTHING? Real successful pal (I'm talking about NCAA, not bass fishing)

National championships only mean so much. Having a national championship certainly sets your program apart. Even if the BCS system is flawed, having been selected to play in a game that decides the best team of 120 is remarkable. Though, having not won a championship does not make your school or program crap.

1) Many of the successful programs to acquire national championships recently had to cheat to get there or get close. VT has not even had a whisper of foul goings-on with recruiting or player treatment.

2) You can have successful winning traditions, be a power, and be a respected program and not win a national championship. It happens at all levels of sports.. See Lebanon football, WVU Basketball, etc. etc.

3) I want VT to win the national championship in my lifetime, yes. Multiples are preferred. But having not done so does not make the last 15 years of VT's upswing a disappointment. Every year has been a good year to be a fan. Even with disappointing losses sprinkled in and the occasional butt whipping, we still have a proud program. And if you think mocking our 10 win season streak is going to hurt our feelings any, try again. It is definitely something to be proud of and recruiting benefits because of it.

4) For a program that has arguably never had but maybe 1 top 15 recruiting class, to finish ranked almost every single season is a lofty achievement when you have to recruit to Blacksburg. I couldn't convince my girlfriend to live here and I pay her cell phone bill, there's no leveraging it, Blacksburg isn't for everyone. Imagine trying to convince a teenager who could choose way more vibrant places to live his next four years and play football. The program sells itself.

VT football is successful. It is relevant. It is good. Like it or not.

Edited by deuceswild

I believe the topic is football...a sport that neither VT, UNC, or UVA has won a national title in.

National championships only mean so much. Having a national championship certainly sets your program apart. Even if the BCS system is flawed, having been selected to play in a game that decides the best team of 120 is remarkable. Though, having not won a championship does not make your school or program crap.

1) Many of the successful programs to acquire national championships recently had to cheat to get there or get close. VT has not even had a whisper of foul goings-on with recruiting or player treatment.

2) You can have successful winning traditions, be a power, and be a respected program and not win a national championship. It happens at all levels of sports.. See Lebanon football, WVU Basketball, etc. etc.

3) I want VT to win the national championship in my lifetime, yes. Multiples are preferred. But having not done so does not make the last 15 years of VT's upswing a disappointment. Every year has been a good year to be a fan. Even with disappointing losses sprinkled in and the occasional butt whipping, we still have a proud program. And if you think mocking our 10 win season streak is going to hurt our feelings any, try again. It is definitely something to be proud of and recruiting benefits because of it.

4) For a program that has arguably never had but maybe 1 top 15 recruiting class, to finish ranked almost every single season is a lofty achievement when you have to recruit to Blacksburg. I couldn't convince my girlfriend to live here and I pay her cell phone bill, there's no leveraging it, Blacksburg isn't for everyone. Imagine trying to convince a teenager who could choose way more vibrant places to live his next four years and play football. The program sells itself.

VT football is successful. It is relevant. It is good. Like it or not.

I agree it is decently successful, it is relevant, and it is sometimes good. But people compare them to teams like Alabama, which they did come close to beating a couple of years ago. But that loss to Stanford should be enough to make most of the fans be quiet about Tech being the "best".

I agree it is decently successful, it is relevant, and it is sometimes good. But people compare them to teams like Alabama, which they did come close to beating a couple of years ago. But that loss to Stanford should be enough to make most of the fans be quiet about Tech being the "best".

Who said Tech was the best?

gcdevils, leave these arguments to the big boys. You're just making yourself look foolish...

We definitely don't see ourselves as the best.

Maybe the best in Virginia. Maybe the best in the ACC. But not THE best.

Stanford was one of the best 4 football teams in the nation last year. They showed it against VT. I'm not ashamed of that loss, only ashamed of how bad it looked in the second half.

UVA fans don't despise you because you're good. We don't despise Florida State, and they have infinitely more history and tradition than you do. We don't despise Miami, because they know where they stood. We "despise" you because you have less than zero historical sense about yourselves. Hokie Nation thinks it has the same standing as the Oklahomas, the Texases, the Ohio States, when it's football history before 1993 was an abomination.*

Hokie Nation has unsurprisingly captured the Virginia 18-40 generation. Kudos. But ask almost any Hokie football fan in that age group about any history prior to 1993, and you'll probably hear about Beamer and Bruce Smith. Ask them about anything beyond that, and you'll notice a puzzled look on said Hokie's face. That's because there's shockingly little to be proud of before 1993.

This doesn't happen with a bonafide football powerhouse. Ask a Texas fan, an Ohio State fan, about their program before 1990, and they'll rattle off information like an encyclopedia. Hokie fans do not.

Again, to be blunt, most fanbases know what they are and who they are. Hokie fans are probably the worst at having any kind of current or historical perspective about themselves.

*I'm using the collective "you".

The correct answer is: 0.

Only Mississippi State and South Florida are the only other I-A schools to fail to win one.

I believe the topic is football...a sport that neither VT, UNC, or UVA has won a national title in.

Pop quiz: which of those schools is the only one to ever be ranked #1 in a football poll?

Edited by UVAObserver

Who said Tech was the best?

gcdevils, leave these arguments to the big boys. You're just making yourself look foolish...

Every single member of your fanbase thinks you are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Every single member of your fanbase thinks you are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

EVERY SINGLE MEMBER!! MY GOD! GCDEVILS IS NOW ABLE TO SPEAK ON BEHALF OF EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF VIRGINIA TECH'S FAN BASE!!

Do you need me to spell out exactly how ridiculous this statement is?

EVERY SINGLE MEMBER!! MY GOD! GCDEVILS IS NOW ABLE TO SPEAK ON BEHALF OF EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF VIRGINIA TECH'S FAN BASE!!

Do you need me to spell out exactly how ridiculous this statement is?

somebody's angry now :) and yeah the majority of them do think that, if you live in SWVA or NETN and don't like them by god hokies, "they is somethin wrong with ye"

Only Mississippi State and South Florida are the only other I-A schools to fail to win one.

Pop quiz: which of those schools is the only one to ever be ranked #1 in a football poll?

Pop quiz: Which of these schools (UVA, UNC, VT) are nationally irrelevant?

somebody's angry now :) and yeah the majority of them do think that, if you live in SWVA or NETN and don't like them by god hokies, "they is somethin wrong with ye"

Ha! Angry. Not even close, devils. I just love watching you make a damned fool of yourself. Seriously, child. Get out of this conversation before you hurt yourself.

I don't know what world you are living in, I know plenty of people that are not Tech fans...In fact I would be willing to bet the majority of people in NETN are Vol fans, and not Tech fans.

Either way...who cares? Your arguments are pointless and irrational.

Why does being ranked #1 matter? You can go to the national championship ranked #2 as well. No research here on my part but, VT's been ranked #2 more weeks than UVA has been ranked in the last 12-13 years. If its not true it has to be close. And if its not close, it ironically feels that way.

Edited by deuceswild

I don't know what world you are living in, I know plenty of people that are not Tech fans...In fact I would be willing to bet the majority of people in NETN are Vol fans, and not Tech fans.

Either way...who cares? Your arguments are pointless and irrational.

I know far less Tech fans than I do "Category: Other" fans in deep SWVA.